Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda FourTrax

Honda FourTrax Discussions for the FourTrax Rincon, Foreman, Rancher, Recon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2012, 03:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member #16265
View spektrum's Photo Gallery(0)
88 fourtrax shifter problem

I purchased an 88 fourtrax and it drove and shifted out ok. While my son was shiftng a week or so later the shifter pedal "slipped" and is now loose or stripped and will not grab the shifting gear. I cannot tell how it is attached to the pedal to remove or onspect...maybe a pin.

I have asked locally and noone wants to work on it..... anyone have ideas.
spektrum is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 02-19-2012, 05:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
View shadetree's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 90 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spektrum View Post
I purchased an 88 fourtrax and it drove and shifted out ok. While my son was shiftng a week or so later the shifter pedal "slipped" and is now loose or stripped and will not grab the shifting gear. I cannot tell how it is attached to the pedal to remove or onspect...maybe a pin.

welcome to the forums...most shops won't work on a atv thats 10 years or older !..this is a do it yourself job for sure !..more than likely...your shifting shaft's splines are too far stripped out...and will need to be replaced. buy a new one...remove the left side cover..pull the old one right out...install new one...while your at it..replace the shifting shaft's oil seal where the shaft comes through the case. try not to tear up the side cover's gasket !!..if you do tear it..you will need a new one..or you may be able to put some hondabond on it..and it may not leak oil ?. if it does leak..you will need a new gasket. make sure all your bolts are out..and remove the starter's transfer gear..and pull the starter out far enough to get the case off.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member #16265
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetree View Post
Quote:

welcome to the forums...most shops won't work on a atv thats 10 years or older !..this is a do it yourself job for sure !..more than likely...your shifting shaft's splines are too far stripped out...and will need to be replaced. buy a new one...remove the left side cover..pull the old one right out...install new one...while your at it..replace the shifting shaft's oil seal where the shaft comes through the case. try not to tear up the side cover's gasket !!..if you do tear it..you will need a new one..or you may be able to put some hondabond on it..and it may not leak oil ?. if it does leak..you will need a new gasket. make sure all your bolts are out..and remove the starter's transfer gear..and pull the starter out far enough to get the case off.
I'm gunna give it a shot. Can you recommend a place for parts?

Maybe there a "how to" video out there. I do much better watching then doing over reading something.

Thanks for your help.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Maybe there a "how to" video out there. I do much better watching then doing over reading something.

Thanks for your help.
this is a play it forward job bro..nothing to it..remove what i said..pull the old shifting shaft straight out the left side...when you pull the side case..pay attention to where the shifting shaft thrust washer is !!..do not lose it..and make sure it goes back on the same way and same spot !. it takes more time to remove the side cover...than it does to replace the shifting shaft !..lol.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
oh..and bikebandit.com or motosport.com will have your shifting shaft..if it were me though...try getting it from your local honda dealer..yu'll get it quicker..and won't have to pay shipping.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member #16265
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for your help.
this is a play it forward job bro..nothing to it..remove what i said..pull the old shifting shaft straight out the left side...when you pull the side case..pay attention to where the shifting shaft thrust washer is !!..do not lose it..and make sure it goes back on the same way and same spot !. it takes more time to remove the side cover...than it does to replace the shifting shaft !..lol.
Is it possible that the actual shifter is stripped? I removed the screw bolt at the rear of the shifter but it still will not slide off. Tomorrow I think I need to pry the two pieces apart to take the shifter off the shaft. How can I tell if the shifter or the shaft is the problem?
Old 02-23-2012, 09:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
View Helmut's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 8 times
Quote:
Is it possible that the actual shifter is stripped? I removed the screw bolt at the rear of the shifter but it still will not slide off. Tomorrow I think I need to pry the two pieces apart to take the shifter off the shaft. How can I tell if the shifter or the shaft is the problem?
Yeah, just pry the foot shifter off the shifter shaft and inspect the splines. If the splines on the shaft aren't in too bad of condition, you may be able to get by with just buying a new foot shifter. Make sure the bolt is all the way out of the foot shifter or it won't slide off. I usually take an old flat screwdriver and drive it between the gap in the foot shifter and it will spread it open enough for the shifter to slide off the shaft. You shouldn't have to drive it in too far, just a little will be enough to slide the foot shifter off the shaft. If it slipped enough to cut off all the splines on the shaft, then you will have to replace the shaft, too, like Shadetree said.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda FourTrax

Search tags for this page
atv shifter spline
atv striped shifter shaft repair
four wheeler shift lever stripped
honda atv shifter gasket
how do you take the shifter off of a honda fourtrax

how to fix a gear shifter on a four wheeler

how to fix a shifter on a 3 wheeler

how to fix four wheeler shift a manual
how to fix the shifter shaft on a 4 wheeler
my gear shifter is stripped on my honda four wheeler
price of shift shaft and foot shifter on 4 wheeler

stripped shifter splines

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.