Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda FourTrax

Honda FourTrax Discussions for the FourTrax Rincon, Foreman, Rancher, Recon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2011, 05:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member #6711
View supergee19's Photo Gallery(0)
1986 TRX 350 Decompression lever.

HEy guys long time no chat! anyways, i got my bike rebuilt but i didn't change the decompression lever cable or the seal and well i got a major leak there, but what i was wondering if if i need to change that cable or not....I think i do because it is as tight as it will go, but as my bike is running that lever is moving with every RPM, and it sounds like an exhaust leak, but my exhaust is completely sealed up. so is that lever supposed to move like that or should it just be once in a while, i mean it ticks so much its annoying, i didn't notice it when i first put the motor in over the leaky exhaust but it seems like its loudd, so is it supposed to be like that or what? it wont be that expensive to replace it is but if i don't have to i wont, because funds are tight, so what i am asking is, is this noise normal? any input would be great!
supergee19 is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 06-23-2011, 06:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
View Helmut's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 9 times
It shouldn't be moving at all. Sounds like you've got the cable adjusted too tight. The only time the cable should be pulling on the lever is when you're kicking the kick starter.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member #6711
could that be why my bike will not idle after it warmed up?....it works fine while driving but as soon as i let off the gas it wants to die, i have to hold the brakes and keep on the gas to keep it running when im stopped. guess its time for a new cable and lever because the guy i got the motor from bent the hell out of that so i couldnt remove it when i took the top end apart.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
Quote:
Originally Posted by supergee19 View Post
could that be why my bike will not idle after it warmed up?....it works fine while driving but as soon as i let off the gas it wants to die, i have to hold the brakes and keep on the gas to keep it running when im stopped. guess its time for a new cable and lever because the guy i got the motor from bent the hell out of that so i couldnt remove it when i took the top end apart.
Yeah, that could be the reason it won't idle. When that lever is pulled, it holds open the exhaust valve a little, so you don't have as much compression. This makes it easier to kick start, but the cable is supposed to release the lever as soon as the kick starter returns. Low compression caused by the decompressor lever being pulled all the time could definitely cause it to not idle.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #8365
View Deeperinthabush's Photo Gallery(0)
I'm pretty sure that you should be able to pry that bracket back out a touch,and adjust the cable out a turn,or two,,,,
FREE REPAIR MANUALS >>http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums...all-years.html 1986-1992 trx350 parts for sale>>http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums/atv-parts-sale/29225-complete-part-out-1986-fourtrax-350-a.html
Deeperinthabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
When you adjust the cable, you should have about 1/16 to 1/8 inch of play at the lever before the cable starts pulling the lever. By the way, you have to adjust the cable with the piston on TDC on the compression stroke, just like when you're adjusting the valve clearance.

Old 06-24-2011, 03:32 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member #6711
ok thats no biggie then, time my bike up again align all the marks like i did when i put the head back together, and as for prying that lever apart, i tried that when i was taking it apart. The guy mangled it so that why i just left it alone. but i still have the parts to my old motor so ill just get this lever out and see what my other one is like. thanks for the input guys, ill gett he parts today and fix er tomorrow and let ya know how it goes! thanks again!
Old 06-26-2011, 05:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member #7093
View trx 350's Photo Gallery(0)
I think I may have an issue with my cable as well, where is it located? And the adjustment procedure?

24"x9-11 ITP Mud Lites AT

UNI Air Filter

Smitty Bilt 3k Winch

Redone Plastics

Silver Star Lighting
trx 350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 05:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
Quote:
Originally Posted by trx 350 View Post
I think I may have an issue with my cable as well, where is it located? And the adjustment procedure?
Click the image to open in full size.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda FourTrax

Search tags for this page

1986 fourtrax 350 reverse cable repair

1986 honda 250 fourtrax reverse cable adjustment

1986 trx 350 decompression

86 honda fourtrax cable above kick start

98 honda 350 quad decompression

can you remove decompression cable fourtrax

honda compression cable

honda decompression switch stuck

honda fourtrax forum compression release

honda trx 250 decompression is bad

how to take apart a trx 200 motor with a decompression

pic of 86 honda fourtrax 350 starter decompression

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.