Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda FourTrax

Honda FourTrax Discussions for the FourTrax Rincon, Foreman, Rancher, Recon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2011, 10:42 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member #9339
View Justinlogue5_0's Photo Gallery(0)
Fuel Pump only works when.....

I have the 87' four trx 350 4x4. How exactly does the fuel pump work? Does it run all the time or does some thing tell it when and when not to come on? Mine would not come on by itself. Replaced relay and all wires test as service manual says for it to. If you take a test light to test the pump it would come on. When you removed the test light it would stop pumping. I figured a bad ground so I cleaned and checked all grounds and even added a couple extra ones. It still didn't help. So I added a simple led light up close to the steering wheel to let me know when the pump is on and off. I guess the led light is acting like the test light did and the pump runs the entire time the motor is running now. Its a brand new motor since I just finished putting it back together and I am afraid that if the pump runs non stop it will wash my cylinder dry. Any and all help would be appreciated! Thanks!
Justinlogue5_0 is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 03-27-2011, 10:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
View shadetree's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinlogue5_0 View Post
I have the 87' four trx 350 4x4. How exactly does the fuel pump work? Does it run all the time or does some thing tell it when and when not to come on? Mine would not come on by itself. Replaced relay and all wires test as service manual says for it to. If you take a test light to test the pump it would come on. When you removed the test light it would stop pumping. I figured a bad ground so I cleaned and checked all grounds and even added a couple extra ones. It still didn't help. So I added a simple led light up close to the steering wheel to let me know when the pump is on and off. I guess the led light is acting like the test light did and the pump runs the entire time the motor is running now. Its a brand new motor since I just finished putting it back together and I am afraid that if the pump runs non stop it will wash my cylinder dry. Any and all help would be appreciated! Thanks!
the relay is what tells the fuel pump to cycle on and off..you say you replaced the relay..is it new..and for your bikes year/make ??or did you get it from ebay..salvage yard ?....the way these fuel pumps work..from my understanding of owning them...once the carb's float bowl fills up..the fuel pump sinses the back pressure...once this happends..the pump sinses this..and sends the cut off signal to the relay. sooo..to answer your question..your problem lies with your fuel pump relay control unit.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
and do not run the fuel pump at all times !!!..this is not a good idea at all..like you said..you run the risk of flooding your engine..and risk burning up your fuel pump.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:13 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member #9339
The relay is new from Honda however, the atv has an aftermarket fuel pump on it. One for a car from some auto store. Was on there when I bought the atv. It doesn't shut off under pressure so that might be my whole problem?
Old 03-27-2011, 11:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
Quote:
The relay is new from Honda however, the atv has an aftermarket fuel pump on it. One for a car from some auto store. Was on there when I bought the atv. It doesn't shut off under pressure so that might be my whole problem?
that would be my guess..not the right fuel pump...i have used a fuel pump from advanced auto parts store..a round 4 psi pump..it's a low voltage 12vdc pump..works great..has for me anyway. the 4 psi is very important here..if you get too high on fuel pressure..the relay won't see the pump's back pressure.
Old 03-27-2011, 02:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member #9339
So as long as the pump doesn't pump more than 4 psi I will be ok? Will the pump come on the first time you crank it but then read back pressure and shut right back off?
Old 03-27-2011, 05:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
Quote:
So as long as the pump doesn't pump more than 4 psi I will be ok? Will the pump come on the first time you crank it but then read back pressure and shut right back off?
correct..don't use a pump that goes any higher than 4 psi..and yes..if you have the right pump..when it reads back pressure..the pump should cut off on it's own, that's if your relay is working ?. and yes..the pump will come on..sooner or later as your cranking it over...alot depends if your carbs are full of gas ??.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member #9339
Thanks for the help!
Old 03-27-2011, 07:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
Quote:
Thanks for the help!
your welcome
Old 03-29-2011, 06:59 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member #9339
update

The pump works when it wants to and I have traced it back to being a electrical problem. I let it sit for two days and tried to crank it and it just wouldn't fire up. I jumped the pump off to make sure the carb had gas and it fired up(took off jumper wire) started to warm up , took choke off and idled fine for a couple minutes and then just died out. Ran out of gas. Before this (the two days ago) the atv cranked up like normal and I let it idle for over 30 minutes and it never ran out of gas. I would acasionaly walk by and rock the throttle a couple times to clear out the carb and the pump was working like it should. On and off etc... This is the exact same thing it was doing before I replaced the relay. Surely two relays in a row aren't bad? Can I run a full time hot wire(when the key is on) to the relay to bypass factory wiring and make sure the relay isn't loosing power? Thanks.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda FourTrax

Search tags for this page

1987 honda trx 350 vent pipe routing

fuel pump 85 honda four wheeler
honda fourtrax electric fuel
how can i tell if fuel pump working on atv

how does a atv fuel pump work

how does a fuel pump work on a atv

how does an atv fuel pump work

how does the fuel pump work on a four wheeler
how does the fuel pump work on honda fourtrax
how long do honda fuel pump work
how to by pass fuel relay 1987 honda atv

vacume fuel pump for honda 4wheeler

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.