Honda ATV Forum banner

Picked up a fourtrax. How similar are they?

6K views 42 replies 10 participants last post by  Nox 
#1 ·
I picked up a 1998 fourtrax 4x4 electric/kick start. Really like it so far, very different experience from my 2004 recon. Came with aftermarket wheels, moose hand guards, plate skid, etc.

How much is shared between the recon and the fourtrax 300? They look similar, but i dont see much of anything that is the same. The recon is more narrow, for sure. Both mine have been upgraded to 12" wheels so can't compare stock.

See less See more
#2 ·
your comparing apples to oranges here !..lol. even though they may look alike ?..they are in now way even in the same ball park !. the frame is different. the rear end is different, the cc's ( motors ) are different. the c.d.i's are different. all in all ?, the trx300 is wayyyyyyy better over all. ifi had to choose between the two ?, I deff would take the trx300 over the trx250 recon any day !.

Reactions: one1
#3 · (Edited)
I understand. They are very different. I was curious if there were anything that crossed over - part number wise. Like the seat looks almost identical, but mounts differently.

Driving wise the fourtrax turning radius is horrible, recon turns on a dime. The extra 130lbs on the fourtrax shows in how it rides as well. The recon is much more fun, the fourtrax is so much more capable. I really like it so far, but I'd have to keep the recon to play. The fourtrax stays too in control for me. I like being on two side wheels too much to only keep the fourtrax. Lol

Also, any idea what this is on the side of the handlebar? Power outlet for an accessory? Particular one? Has a - and + output on bottom so I was curious if anyone has seen a light or something else with this plug.

#4 ·
because the trx300 is 4wd !..lol. it's not meant to ride anything like the trx250 recon. and yes, that outlet is a 12 volt accessory outlet :).

#5 ·
if ya reach in there where the plugs are with a pair of needle nose pliers ?, you can pull the whole plug out, and on the end of each plug, is a screw to attach a wire. these were meant for spot lights back in the day, as Honda sold this model as a ranch hand back then for the most part :).

#10 ·
Ok i have the FSM and it wasn't shown so I wasn't sure if it may be common knowledge. I grabbed it from the manuals section today when i picked up the new 300. It's possible i overlooked it, but i didnt see it anywhere. I'm guessing 15amps is close to its limits between what the stator and the battery can handle.

#11 ·
The FSM specs the 300fw alternator at 0.22kW @ 5000 RPM, so 220 watts gross. Doing the math, (choosing a nominal 14 volts as the regulated output voltage) you get: 220 / 14 = 15.7142857143 Amps. In the real world though, there are losses through the regulator/rectifier and the wiring etc., due to resistance and conversion to heat, so if you figure in a loss percentage of 20% you might expect to have available: 15.7142857143 x 0.8 = 12.5714285714 Net Amps available at 5000 RPM to power the machine and any accessories you might plug into it.

Attachments

#12 ·
by memory, I wasssssss gonna say around 12 to 15 amps ?, why ?, because if my memory is still good ? ( sometimes its not ! ) the ignition switch fuse is around 15 amps correct ? ( I've slept sense then )..lol.

#13 ·
....if you want to improve the steering on your 300 4x4 , get a Wide Open 4x2 selector kit , they are pricey at $369 , but well worth it -----------Warn made the kit originally and Wide Open took it over , the two are exactly the same , so if you can find an old Warn then a new Wide Open rebuild kit for $125 will rebuild it

#14 ·
The 4x2 selector is a great addition, as well as the front disc brake conversion. Worth the money. You should replace the rubber brake lines at the same time, with braided ones. These three things will make it a different machine.

#17 ·
Thanks all.

Yes they are. Good call. That's the stuff i care about. If one atv goes out the other is going with it through the trails so if anything fails the atv in front leading needs to have the lights till we get back. I'm not looking to do heart surgery on the trails, but that little stuff helps. The 14 yr old will be on one of them. Start relays I'm guessing are the same. He can't pull start the recon so that is a helpful crossover. Is the bolt pattern on the wheels the same? Both 4 lug, but I haven't measured it. Brake cable and reverse looks the same. Anything little that breaks i can swap to make his rideable back is good.

#23 ·
I just picked up a 300 to fix up.

I'm planning on doing disc brakes up front, I already have a TRX250 rear end for it (the stock 300 rear ends are about the ONLY weak spot), and I may or may not do the 424.

I'm also going to try to mod it to start in gear. I'm sure if I google it I will find directions on how to do it. I did it to my neighbors 350 Rancher and it makes riding them much more enjoyable.

On that power outlet/ socket, what does the male plug in look like? Something that is readily available?

#24 · (Edited)
The old 200/250/300/350 accessory plug like this one...? Those can only be found used nowadays, but a lot of old machines for sale still have them on the bike in good condition. Mine is unused and still mint... lots of them for sale out there cheap I imagine.

EDIT:
Can't remember for sure... but there might be a 15 amp fuse in the box for that outlet..?

#27 ·
I helped my neighbor change the disc pads on his Yamaha Moto which has a cover over the disc and rotor , what a waste of metal on that cover , when we took it apart it was packed solid with dirt and seems to have done a lot more damage than good as the caliper had to be replaced cause it was corroded and frozen

the sealed drums don't work when water is involved , it will get in , the cylinders and adjuster will get frozen , the water and dirt will grind the shoes away fast , the water stays in the drum and eats away the bearings , drums are not the way to go , it cost as much to replace every thing in a drum set up as it does to buy a disc kit , the next time the pads need to be replaced it is cheap to fix , $25 for a set of pads and an hour of time

#29 ·
Front discs are a million times better than drums. Discs clean themselves out in mud, whereas the "sealed" drums never stay sealed.

I have converted two 350 Ranchers and a 300 to discs in the last year. The wife's Rancher and my Foreman have factory discs, and there are zero benefits of drum brakes over discs on a Honda.

Seriously, get the disc brake conversion. They are better.

#31 ·
420 Brakes/knuckles bolt right onto a 350 at the ball joints, IF you can find cheap 420 brakes. Keep in mind you'll probably have to replace bearings, ball joint, and brake pads on used 420 brakes.

Or you can get SuperATV or Highlifter conversions for about $200.

I've done a couple with 420 brakes, but I think my next one I'll just do a SuperATV kit. By the time you buy used 420 stuff and redo the knuckles, you've spend more than the conversions cost and have to do the work of redoing the knuckles.

#39 ·
Did we talk about this here or another thread?
P = I x E where watts is amps x bolts
12 volts x 10 amps = 120 watts probably the max wattage light assembly for your accessory circuit

I could be wrong search around for an amp calculator

Keep in mind these light bars are not spot beams they light up the whole forest and can blind folks coming down the trail to ya.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.