Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Honda ATV Schematics / Manual Help

Honda ATV Schematics / Manual Help Having a hard time locating a manual? Need some good solid Tech Information, Schematics or Specs? Look no farther, its all here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2010, 05:47 PM   #21 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
View Helmut's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 11 times
Yeah, it's probably the Recon. The reason I asked if it was a UK model or Canadian model is because, I know the Canadian Ranchers don't say Rancher on the gas tank like the US models do, they just say Fourtrax but they're the same ATV. The Recons are probably the same way. The US models are probably the only ones that say Rancher or Recon on the gas tank.

You can also try going to this link and putting the VIN number in and it should tell you what type of ATV it is.

Honda Motorcycle VIN Decoder @ Motoverse.com

ADDED: Never mind, I see there's a winch covering the VIN number.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 09-17-2010, 03:25 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member #5070
View parksol's Photo Gallery(0)
VIN id

Thanks Helmut (and everyone else contributing), for all your advice and guidance.

I've now found a VIN number written in the 'pre-delivery inspection check-list' and tried entering it into your location website - but it says my number is unrecognised as a Honda id. For info, the number was: 478TE21U9XA201162

I suspect, however, that the number might not be accurate and (given the winch situation) I can't check it on the machine itself.

How do my letters and numbers align with your own VIN ids? In other words, does a Honda VIN always start with three numbers, then two letters then two numbers etc etc. Or, is it all completely random?

The website was so quick in determining that my number was NOT a Honda id, it leads me to think that I have the actual format of the VIN wrong (ie the letter and number arrangement) rather than just an id that doesn't exist).

Clutching at straws now perhaps.
parksol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 01:48 PM   #23 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
I couldn't get it to work in the VIN decoder either.

Quote:
How do my letters and numbers align with your own VIN ids? In other words, does a Honda VIN always start with three numbers, then two letters then two numbers etc etc. Or, is it all completely random?
The VIN number doesn't always start with three numbers, sometimes it starts with a combination of letters and numbers. The first three digits (number or letter) represents the country it was made in, manufacturer, and type of vehicle. In this case, "478" means: Honda, all terrain vehicle, manufactured in USA.

The next 5 digits denotes the model code. In this case, "TE21U", indicates it's a TRX250 TM/TE which means it's a TRX250 Recon, 2wd, manual shift or 2wd, electric shift.

The ninth digit is a check code. If the check code isn't correct, it means the VIN number is fake. I don't know how they get the check code, other than it's determined mathematically by the first 8 digits of the VIN number. The tenth digit is the year of manufacture, in this case, "X" which means it was manufactured in 1999. The 11th digit is the assembly plant and the rest of the numbers are just the number of ATVs manufactured. The number gets higher for each ATV manufactured.

So, according to your VIN number, you have a 1999 Honda TRX250 Recon.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:09 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member #5070
View parksol's Photo Gallery(0)
Smile Resolved - Brilliant!!!

Helmut,

Thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to respond to my questions and problems in identifying this machine. Clearly, I am not the first on this forum to congratulate you on such an encyclopaedic knowledge of all things ATV.

Best wishes

David
parksol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 05:29 PM   #25 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
You're welcome, glad to help.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Honda ATV Schematics / Manual Help

Search tags for this page
four wheeler vin decoder
honda 4 wheeler vin decoder

honda atv vin decoder

honda four wheeler vin decoder

honda four wheeler vin number lookup
honda recon 250 year id

honda recon year identification

how do i find the year on my honda recon
how to find year on honda recon
serial numbers locaged on ahonda recon es

what year is my honda recon

what year is my honda recon es
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.