5 Things to Watch for When Buying a Used ATV - Honda ATV Forum
Honda ATV News News articles about Honda ATVs, as well as site updates, rules, etc. concerning the site.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bryan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Marketing Team
Supporting Member

5 Things to Watch for When Buying a Used ATV

Click the image to open in full size.

Quote:
Buying used is one of the best ways to get a good deal on a vehicle, especially an ATV. However, you can't be too careful. Here are some tips from our staff of experienced ATV buyers that can help you sort the peaches from the lemons.

You'll want to give the ATV's motor and electronics a thorough looking-over. Start with the engine oil -- visually inspect it for moisture, particles, and other things that shouldn't be there, and make sure that the color isn't too dark. You'll also want to get your nose in on the act by smelling the dipstick, to confirm that the oil doesn't give off a burnt odor.

Next, check the coolant -- you're looking for particles of oil in it. If you find them, it's a red flag.

Finally, confirm that all of the electronics -- headlights, tail lights, key switch, and engine shutoff -- are in working order.
Read more about the 5 Things to Watch for When Buying a Used ATV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 11:31 AM

Liked: 291 times
When i buy a atv used i refuse to pay what they are worth.. 1/2 to 3/4s of what they low end blue book.. Not that i do not trust you I don't trust anyone and dealers are the biggest lying *@**holes on the planet.. Unless you personally know or can substantiate the quads history its all #*&y4... So do yourself a favor buy a new one or one that has good references so to speak.. The old saying a little ole lady owned it IS *($#SH!t...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryw View Post
When i buy a atv used i refuse to pay what they are worth.. 1/2 to 3/4s of what they low end blue book.. Not that i do not trust you I don't trust anyone and dealers are the biggest lying *@**holes on the planet.. Unless you personally know or can substantiate the quads history its all #*&y4... So do yourself a favor buy a new one or one that has good references so to speak.. The old saying a little ole lady owned it IS *($#SH!t...
Tell us how you really feel
wildcat likes this.

2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 with Power Steering
5,000 Miles
Superwinch Terra 35 With Synthetic Rope
EHS Air Box lid
UNI Air Filter
1.5mm Shim Mod
Purple Spring
EHS Fuel Optimizer
Heat Demon Handle Bar Warmers
26x9 and 26x12 Maxxis BigHorn on 12" SS316 Matte Black
Canadian Yamaha Fender Flares
Plano 1510 Box
Join the Wisconsin Riders Group!

Click here for service manuals!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 01:10 PM

Liked: 860 times
HAHA
I also think if your going to smell the oil for it being BRUNT< I'd be smelling for fuel in there too

I agree, buying used is more of a gamble than ever on ATV< since so many think there boats
go back 10+ yrs ago, and almost NO one ran them like they do today

so its a LOT harder tyo take anyone's word these days too, people too have changed

we live in a world where everyone seems out top screw anyone, as long as its NOT themselves??
yet this way of logic, just means everyone just s screws everyone more??

no one seems to care about there reputation anymore, just as long as they get paid, is all that seems to matter to so many

always was scammers out there always will, just the number of them is GROWING , faster than ever if you ask me!

and that's why I buy NEW< or I buy so cheap i cannot loose LOL
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 04:12 PM

Liked: 291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
Quote:
Tell us how you really feel
Don't I always do that lol??
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 12:04 PM

Help

I'm new to this site - how would i start a new thread?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 1734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesenia2005 View Post
I'm new to this site - how would i start a new thread?
go to the thread that maybe concerns your issue ?,like the repair section ?, top left, button that reads start new thread, click that, then type in your post, then at the bottom of that window, click the post button.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '83 cx650c , '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 07:51 PM

Liked: 11 times
Quote:
Lol for the most part very true. The 1997 Honda TRX300 2wd I just bought was purchased off of a little old lady who owns a horse farm. Her husband, who passed away 4-5years ago bought the 4 Wheeler brand new. It is still all original(tires, all warning stickers, etc) except for the added gun rack, hand shifter(which I removed immediately) and trailer receiver with insert. I have to replace the battery and I did have to rebuild the carburetor since they didn't drain the gas. It wouldn't start when I looked at it, but I took a chance and bought it anyway. I never do that, but I took a chance seeing as how the engine oil, spark plug, rear end oil all looked and smelled fine. I'll probably never do that again though because I could've been burned.

Last edited by Doobie; 12-09-2016 at 07:54 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Forums > Honda ATV News

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode