Honda ATV Forum banner

Storage Ideas

8K views 31 replies 16 participants last post by  AlabamaDan 
#1 ·
I am looking to add some storage on the racks of my rancher. I am thinking of making a storage tube out of 4in PVC like I have seen on some other posts. What is everyone else using or made that is not too expensive.

#2 ·
my question would be what are you trying to store on the ATV>
a 4 inch tube ain;t going to hold all that much, everything will end up having to come out MOST times to get the ONE thing you wanted out LOL

most folks I think like Army Ammo can's due to there water proof, easy to open and close and well rather easy to come by and not so costly, water proof, can be mounted pretty easy, a lot of good reasons they get used so much??

a water proof duffle bag is also a easy deal, can be held on with bungee cords or a ratchet strap, hold a lot more things maybe??
but again, comes down to WHAT your trying to store on the ATV

#5 ·
most folks I think like Army Ammo can's due to there water proof, easy to open and close and well rather easy to come by and not so costly, water proof, can be mounted pretty easy, a lot of good reasons they get used so much??
+1 on the water proof ammo box, and not too costly, can't go wrong with a couple of those! IMHO .

#3 ·
Kolpin and a whole lot of companies have great options out there, you just have to play Sherlock Holmes.

Reactions: Macarena Man
#4 ·
I use an 18"x12"x8" plastic box with a clip on type lid. Only cost £4 from my local grocery store. It does the job great and being clear plastic I can see inside to se if my thermos is leaking!
I went for plastic incase I ever went over the handle bars, I didn't fancy head butting an ammo box or anything similar!

#6 ·
I have to ask , what you'll put in the Thermos , a hot toddy , tea , grits ???

Today , I was thinking about a storage issue we are having , aluminum cans getting popped with holes in the sides from banging together in the ice chest , lost 6 this Saturday , was thinking of some kind of rack like Coca-Cola use to come in

#9 ·
Flat style plastic tubs work great for putting in coats and small stuff, and are easily accessed with bunjees. Thick plastic is essential because the sun eats the stuff into brittleness. I have duffle bags too, which aren't bad and hold a lot more, but are more hassle to get in and out of, even with the bunjee method. Unzipping a bunched up bag for a sip of water is a hassle, more so reaching for the grits. For serious stuff I use wooden boxes constructed for particular purpose, meaning that the gear inside fits well and the door opens and latches easily. Sometimes with foam stuffinginside, fitted well. Ammo cans? not for me. Wrong shape, difficult to mount, small, hard, sharp corners. Perfect for bullets though, especially if you should need 10,000 rounds while joyriding on a Sunday.

#14 ·
Permanent mount ? Or bungee/pull straps ? How i did mine was two cheepo magnetic base hooks 80lbs pull, i use ether pull straps or bungee cords... I use the ammo box on other machines...IMO ammo boxes are a great choice, cheep water proof and tough!

#16 ·
That's gonna sting the first time you hit a mud hole wrong and Land on the edge of that! Lol..
I prefer plastic, it breaks before I do :laugh:

#17 · (Edited)
Oh no, lol when I'm rough riding i take it off the rear and use the front basket/rack, i already have SOME back trouble, so I'm real careful, your a young whipper snapper, take good care of yourself :) cause those crashes...... You feel them , years later.

#18 ·
Haha, good call.. Your right though, those crashes do hurt in years to come, I broke two ribs late last year, when I went to hospital they told me that the ribs had broken on a previous break, which I remember doing when I fell off my bicycle as a child. They still hurt now, it's amazing how your bodies healing process slows down, I'm beginning to think that they will always ache now when I get cold.

Reactions: _Wilson_
#19 ·
Here we are talking about this and in another string your bike runs over you ? Oh how things work out....lol, I'm not making light of this, as I've had mine flatten me too!

Reactions: SamUK
#21 ·
storage ideas

I have been using a medium sized rubber maid box for my chain saw box. The chain saw motor fits nicely in the box and I just cut a slot in one end for the bar and chain to go though with chain cover. I also have some 3 lite olive cans to make compartments in the rubber maid box. I just tie them in with cable ties. In one I have first aid stuff, in the other I keep winch cable stuff - pulley, tree straps etc. There is also is also room for a liter of chain saw gas, bar oil, and a chain saw sharpening kit, spark plug etc. I also have got an axe and folding shovel, goggles, gloves, hearing protection, insurance papers etc. To hold the box on to the quad rack, I cut a 1/2 inch plywood to fit one of the holes in the rack and screwed it to the bottom of the rubber maid box where I want the box to sit on the rack. Then I use one short ratchet strap to hold the lid in place. It's easy to get into and get stuff out.
The other box that I use is an old plastic 5 gallon gas can with the top cut off. I call this one the lunch box. I did the same mounting with the plywood screwed to the bottom, as well as using a couple of bungee cords run though a couple on holes on each end, that hook on to the rack. I also installed a some shock cord loops to hold water bottles or hot drink containers inside the box. The shock cord is run though some small holes drilled in the end of the gas can where I wanted to store the bottles. The gas can is open on top so it is easy to get lunch, goggles, maps, gloves, small camera, gps unit, in and out. So far i have never lost anything from it. In both boxes I have drilled a couple of holes in bottom to act as drainage holes if it happens to get any water in there. The boxes are easy to get off and on the quad rack, so i can put them in my truck or in my storage shed when not needed, or I what them in a safer location than on the quad. They also do not have any hard corners to catch stuff on or bang me up like an ammo can or tool box would.
Hope this is helpful. Tom.

#23 ·
I'm using three Pelican cases on my Rancher. I finally came up with a way to mount them securely, no movement at all, while maintaining the integrity of the inside of the case (no holes).

Two Pelican 1200's, and one 1120. The 1120 carries my iPhone, wallet, keys, snuff, etc. One of the 1200's carries a tool kit (socket set, vise grips, screwdrivers, tire plug kit, etc). The other 1200 is a catch all, glasses, flashlight, Deep Woods Off, wire, baling wire, rubber bungee cords, electrical connectors, etc.

On the back of the Pelican cases there are molded ribs (4 on the 1120 and 2 on the 1200's. I took a 1" ratchet strap and ground the bolt off using a grinder, then enlarged the two holes to accept a 7/16" of SS round stock. Using a step bit I made holes in the ribs on the back of the case.

The result is a rigid mount, but is still removable if needed.

The Grizzly cooler is mounted with long turnbuckles, with a dab of Loctite Blue on the threads of the jamb nut.

#30 ·
If any one is interested , I am selling the storage /seat box on the back of this 450 for $80 , I think I could ask a $100 , it is a Quad Boss and sells for $279 new , has no cracks in it , tail light lens and rubber locking straps are broke , it would have to be local pick up ---------------- 'bama Dan , your close by , I would throw in a tail light that you were asking about

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.