Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Builds, Projects & DIY

Builds, Projects & DIY Discuss all your Honda ATV builds, projects and Do-It-Yourself modifications here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2013, 06:57 PM   #21 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
View shadetree's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 34 times
some more pics of carb tear down..and a pic of the newly polished domes. thats all i've got done today so far. i plan on draining the oil and coolant next..and start getting more parts off to clean up and polish.
Attached Thumbnails
1983 honda cx650c-1983-honda-cx650c-carb-tear-down-006.jpg   1983 honda cx650c-1983-honda-cx650c-carb-tear-down-007.jpg  
Old 06-22-2013, 08:13 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member #10699
View MarioWeldingInc's Photo Gallery(0)
Nice work. That carb setup looks like a pita!
MarioWeldingInc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:19 PM   #23 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioWeldingInc View Post
Nice work. That carb setup looks like a pita!
so far..it's easy !..lol.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:44 PM   #24 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #417
View TRX2fiveO's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 12 times
Man you got a rusty mess there
07 Suzuki LTZ250 (Sons)
00 TRX350TM 4X2
04 TRX250EX (TLC Needed)
74' CB360 (future FrankenQuad)
Work in progress
http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums...nstruction.htm

http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums...e-2-hicks.html
TRX2fiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:30 PM   #25 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
update: today i got the carb almost back together..i need some o-rings to join the fuel tubes to connect the carbs..and a o-ring to fit in the intake to cylinder boots..then i can mount the carbs. spent some time on the phone with '' moose '' lastnight...and we talked about ways of fixing the cracked intake boot to cylinder...after researching my stash of goodies..lol..i located my product called '' sealall ''..works great..handles gas and oil great..i've used it before on an old trx350 gas tank that had a large hole in the bottom from rust..and with some tin and this sealall..it never leaked..soooo..i put some around my intake boots..inside and out..let it dry for a few hours..then wraped elec tape around it to dress them up...they look great..and best part..they won't leak air !!..lol. my spark plug coils should be here monday so the tracking say's ???..lol..i hope to get the carbs back on..intake boots back on..spark plug coils in..and try a test fire..and see if she'll run ?..lol. i'm sure she will..i hope anyway ????..lol. once i make sure she'll run..then i'll start tearing her down...piece by piece..to polish her parts up..and also gonna strip her all the way down to bare frame..then some sanding..then some fresh gloss black paint...then more polishng parts as i put her back together..i'll leave the gas tank and side covers for paint last...still have not decided on what color to go with ??..it was candy wine berry ?..but i'm thinking go black..as it's easier to paint..not to mention cheaper !..i can't locate any gas tank decals..but did find some rear cowl decals for a cx custom from a websight..from what i have found..most all the early model decals for these motor cycles used the same light to dark curved honda wings..sooo..i'll just pick one from ebay..and have it put on the tank when it comes time to paint everything. i need to get to the main shop..and locate my bucket of o-rings...so i can get the carbs back in..and intake boots..sooo..i may head out there in a bit to round them up..and try to get the carbs back in some time tonight..then i have to wait on my spark plug coils to get here monday.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:36 PM   #26 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #417
View TRX2fiveO's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 12 times
How about the bowl gaskets? Did my trick work?
07 Suzuki LTZ250 (Sons)
00 TRX350TM 4X2
04 TRX250EX (TLC Needed)
74' CB360 (future FrankenQuad)
Work in progress
http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums...nstruction.htm

http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums...e-2-hicks.html
TRX2fiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:41 PM   #27 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRX2fiveO View Post
How about the bowl gaskets? Did my trick work?
i did not try it bro ?..i looked at them again..and after careful inspection..lol..( yeah yeah...we old guy's are blind !..lol )..i put them back in..with a very light coat of seal all..it should work..my biggest concern is the float needles !!!..if they don't seal the fuel ?..i'll have to locate a new float needle..which means..i'll have to take the bowls back apart !..lol. i'll cross that bridge when i get to it...right now..i've got to get the carbs back on..and put some gas in them..and see if they don't leak from a sticking float needle ???..lol.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:15 AM   #28 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
update: cranked the motor over a few hours lastnight..i could get it to hit and miss...but it would not fire and idle for the life of it !!!. i've either got a ring issue ?..or a carb issue ?..i tore the left head off..praying one of the valves was stuck or sticking open ?..but did not see any problems !..i did finish tearing the valves out of the head..and went ahead and cleaned them up..as the exhaust valves had alot of carbon built up on them. today i will pull the right head..and do those valves as well. i did locate a complete engine gasket kit on ebay..sooo..when i get some funds...i'll order that..as it has new valve guide seals..and head gaskets in the kit..i need those in order to put the heads back on for sure..now that the old ones came all apart when i pulled the left head off !..lol. i need to get some new air cut off valves from ebay..as i pretty sure the old ones that i stuck back in the carbs are history !..lol. i need to go back through the carbs again anyway..sooo..when i get to that point..i will have another look at the carbs..and give them another cleaning...i may have missed something ??. i can tell you this..i was told this bike sat for two years ?..this alone would make the piston rings stick to the piston..and not let the motor get enough compression ?..but dang..the only way to check the piston and rings..and cylinder ?..is to split the motor all the way down !!!..lol...yeah..this is not your normal motor..thats for sure !...lol...well..if it comes to needing rings ??..all i can say is..i'm up the river..leaky boat..no paddle !!..as they are discontinued from everywhere !!!..lol. sooooooo..game plan today...remove right head..get the valves out and cleaned up..get the head cleaned up..pull the carbs back off..then gather up all the parts i have off..and put them together in a box..and set this project on the back burner for now..and wait until i get some parts...as for now..i've got a '02 trx350 rancher that needs some attention. i'll post back on this thread here and there..and keep everyone up to date on how it's going.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:06 AM   #29 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
update: wellllllllllll..another tough time on this project !!!..after pulling the rear water pump cover..and finding out where the acorn nut went ?!..lol. and yes..i did pull the motor to do this !!..lol. i thought..well..crap..i've came this far..may as well tear the back half off..and have a look at the cam chain..and cam chain slack adjuster ?..see if it is bad ?..sure enoughhhhhh..the slack adjuster WAS NOT EVEN TOUCHING THE CAM CHAIN GUIDE !..AGHHHH !!..LOL. seem's it was locked up or something ??..sooo..i thought..well..maybe the cam chain is worn to far ?..i removed it..looked at the chain to look for a name or numbers ?..and it has D.I.D on it !..wth ya know !..well..i removed the cam adjuster..played around with it..and got it to spring out all the way. why the PO did not make sure it was working before they closed the case back on..with a new gasket mind you !..beats the crap outta me !. i'm kinda stumped if the cam chain is gone ?..orrr..the adjuster is not working like it should ??. i'm gonna check around friday..and see if i can locate another D.I.D cam chain..as i'm not risking this..not when i've came this far !. anyway...the plot thickens here !!..while i was removing the chain..i had laid the engine down on it's side..so i could have a better angle to the area..then i hear this rattle..clank ?!!..wth now ????..my first thought..something was down in the engine..broken off !!!..sure enough..after i had to tear the motor allllllll the way down ! ( sigh..did not want to do this )..i found a broken piece off in the cases !. i had to tear the motor completely apart..tranny and all !..just to get this out..as it was stuck in the tranny gears !!. i guess this is a good thing..seeing how i caught it now..instead of taking it for a spin when i got it running !..lol. i have not looked through the gears yet to see if they got torn up ?.but i will later. i also now have the pistons out of the case..off the crank..and the crank is all the way out..as this is the only way to get the pistons out of these motors..seeing how they are clamed to the crank like a normal car engine. i then checked the rings down in the cylinder..i just removed the top ring..and my luck is holding out some !!..the top rings looks great for fit !!!..thank god !!..as these rings can't be gotten anywhere..1st size to all the way up..they no longer sell them !. soooo..tomorrow ( 4th )..i'll hone the cylinders out..seeing how this bike sat for 2 yrs...it's got alittle rust in the cylinders..i'm pretty sure the cylinders will clean up nicely ?. i've got a few parts on order as of early weds morning..i ordered a complete engine gasket kit..carb repair kit ( air cut offs and such ), these should be in sometime first of next week ??..i hope anyway !. let me tell ya..i know most of ya'll have seen my deck cluttered with parts ??..you should see my shop right now !!..lmao..it's one big mess i tell ya !..lol. anyway..i'll keep everyone updated on my progress as i go..i may even snap some pic's of this mess thursday..just so everyone can see what i'm dealing with ??. yeah..i know it's not an atv ?..but still..this is how i roll..and i love a project that takes some hard earned work !..lol. so far..this thing has tried it's best to beat me ?..but i'm not going to let it !..i don't give up easy at all !..lol.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:35 AM   #30 (permalink)

Member #3158
View cmanningjr's Photo Gallery(0)
Ok, haven't been on in a while had to play catch up.

I LOVE those old Honda bikes. I feel your pain on finding parts. I had an old 700
a few years ago, talk about some hard to find stuff.

Can't wait to see this one go together.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Builds, Projects & DIY

Search tags for this page
1983 honda cx650 custom
1983 honda cx650 custom choke cable
1983 honda cx650 custom for sale

83 honda cx650 parts

choke cable length for 1983 honda cx650c

cx 650 custom

cx650 fork oil

cx650 forum

cx650c forum
exhaust for honda cx650#gsc.tab
fork oil in a 83 cx650c

honda cx 650 for sale

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.