Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Builds, Projects & DIY

Builds, Projects & DIY Discuss all your Honda ATV builds, projects and Do-It-Yourself modifications here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 01:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member #21676
View sam03's Photo Gallery(0)
ATV Trailer

Anyone build or bought a trailer to pull behind there atv? I use my atv for hunting mostly and need something to carry tiller, seed, fertilizer, feeders etc. I'm looking at the 10-17 cubic lawn dump trailers but figured i would need to upgrade the tires. also thought abt a Harbor freight trailer but that will need wood and maybe more modifications. Any ideas? Feedback?
Old 01-14-2013, 02:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member #22125
View rlfoulch's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 3 times
I use a boat trailer i modded for hauling atvs and motorcycles. Its nice and light with long toung and good carrying capacity

gone but never forgotten E.T. (90 fourtrax300fw)

94 sportster with andrews n4 cams hc pistons p&p heads drag pipes under drive pulleys

2010 Colorado 4 door 2wd

2013 recon es 23-8.50-12 front and 23-10.5-12deestone suretrack on hd3 wheels (her bike)
rlfoulch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #8365
View Deeperinthabush's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 11 times
I use a steel lawn n garden trailer I had sitting around going to rust that I modded by adding a cold rolled axle,some 4/110mm hubs off a Bayou,some bracing,and a loop onto the tongue to be used with a shackle as a pintle hook setup for those off camber situations...The trailer will tilt up to 90 degrees to either side as well as stand straight up,or hang straight down when off roading behind the atv...It doesn't bog down very easily,and tends to float across swampy mix,and water really well...So far it has held upwards of 600 lbs without any problems when it was on the 25x12.50x9" Bearclaws,but with a set of Douglas sport wheels with some old school knobbies it doesn't float as well,plus the wheels are simply too flimsy,so the utility wheels,and tires will go back on it before the next outing..It will hold quite a bit of gear,plus coolers for a long weekend camping trip,or any deer you might take up to 600 lbs ..The weak points the metal body itself which is made from 18 gauge ish steel,and is very flexible,rattles,rusts,etc..
Attached Thumbnails
ATV Trailer-photo0092.jpg   ATV Trailer-photo0044.jpg   ATV Trailer-photo0045.jpg  
FREE REPAIR MANUALS >>http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums...all-years.html 1986-1992 trx350 parts for sale>>http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums/atv-parts-sale/29225-complete-part-out-1986-fourtrax-350-a.html
Deeperinthabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member #16394
View Geezer's Photo Gallery(0)
look at Extreme Manufacturing. They make an Extreme road and trail unit with a hydraulic dump and it can also carry an ATV at highway speeds. Heavy duty, 2530 lbs GVWR. Had mine for a year and really like the versatility.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member #25178
View SoggyDoggy's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 1 times
I looked real hard at a plastic tubbed Ohio steel atv cart from tractor supply but decided on a 3x5 utility trailer from lowes. Not sure if I'm posting this link right Shop Carry-On Trailer 3-1/2' x 5' Wire Mesh Utility Trailer at Lowes.com
SoggyDoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #8365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
look at Extreme Manufacturing. They make an Extreme road and trail unit with a hydraulic dump and it can also carry an ATV at highway speeds. Heavy duty, 2530 lbs GVWR. Had mine for a year and really like the versatility.
How much did it cost,and what does it weigh ???
FREE REPAIR MANUALS >>http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums...all-years.html 1986-1992 trx350 parts for sale>>http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums/atv-parts-sale/29225-complete-part-out-1986-fourtrax-350-a.html
Old 01-14-2013, 06:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member #25178
It's narrow enough (about 52"-54"), a little heavy (250lbs) and the ground clearance is not as good, but its well built, rated at 2000 lbs and street legal should I ever need it. I plan to try to do a spring over swap to gain a little clearance.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #8365
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoggyDoggy View Post
It's narrow enough (about 52"-54"), a little heavy (250lbs) and the ground clearance is not as good, but its well built, rated at 2000 lbs and street legal should I ever need it. I plan to try to do a spring over swap to gain a little clearance.
250lbs isn't too bad...I am planning on building a smaller off road,on road trailer from a jet ski trailer next time I run across one che,errr low costing enough that will be big enough to carry an atv on it,but small enough to tow behind the atv in the woods so I don't have to haul the atv,and a trailer on a trailer to,and from the woods...The axles strong enough,and the frames usually about the correct width,just have to shorten it up considerably,and add a lightweight floor to it along with tie down points,and maybe some folding sides...
Old 01-14-2013, 07:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member #25178
I wanted something I could load my bike on and pull with my bike also but unless the deck was built above the tires it would be a little wide for narrow trails and I already have a 5x10 trailer.
I also considered a harbor freight trailer but after my local store never having one on hand, the online reviews and the fact that it was just a frame and would require further investment of time and money to use it I decided against it.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #8365
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoggyDoggy View Post
I wanted something I could load my bike on and pull with my bike also but unless the deck was built above the tires it would be a little wide for narrow trails and I already have a 5x10 trailer.
I also considered a harbor freight trailer but after my local store never having one on hand, the online reviews and the fact that it was just a frame and would require further investment of time and money to use it I decided against it.
I just bought 3 new 8" wheels,and tires new for a small trailer I am rebuilding,and spent as much as one of those HF trailers cost on sale almost..I prolly should have bought one on sale,swapped the tires over,and used the frame for scrap steel for projects,or something...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Builds, Projects & DIY

Search tags for this page
atv pull behind dump trailers
atv pull behind trailer
atv pull behind trailers

atv pull behind utility trailers

atv trailers for hunting

atv trailers pull behind

diy atv trailer

honda atv trailer

honda atv trailers
pull behind atv trailer kit
pull behind atv trailers
trailers for atv to pull
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.