Honda ATV Forum banner

'04 trx350fm rancher project

128K views 643 replies 39 participants last post by  shadetree 
#1 ·
OK gang..as promised..i would post some pic's of my new project. i did not get home and it unloaded until it was dark here..so i did not have time lastnight to take some pics..i just took these as of right now..here's a few pic's of how it looks now. as you can see..it's got some fender damage !..lol. anyway..i guess this is gonna be another long thread for everyone to learn and enjoy !.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
a few more pic's of the '04 rancher project.

Attachments

#3 ·
when i get a chance..i'll start to tear her down !..it's just a tad cold and windy here today..i already purchased a new ignition switch ( oem honda ) and got a light switch/start control ordered.

#6 ·
thanks manny !..yeah..your right..most of it is body damage..no biggie to me..i went from a 1986 to a 2004 4x4 !..lol...i think i did ok !.

#5 ·
shoooot, thats just cosmetic! Couple rolls of duck tape, can of .98 cent wally world paint and its DONE! Jeez and here I thought this would be an interesting thread.........LOL j/k! Cant wait for you to start tearing into her, I will use this when I do my '04trx350fm. TAKE GOOD PICS :)

#7 ·
shoooot, thats just cosmetic! Couple rolls of duck tape, can of .98 cent wally world paint and its DONE! Jeez and here I thought this would be an interesting thread.........LOL j/k! Cant wait for you to start tearing into her, I will use this when I do my '04trx350fm. TAKE GOOD PICS :)
lmfao..yeah bro..it's just needs new fenders..they are cheap compared to that old trx350 fourtrax !..lmfao. i'll get plenty of pics as i start to tear her down and go through her !. i'll rip off all the plastics..throw away all the bad..and keep the good parts that can be used. i've already got some of the back parts on hand..tail light's and rubber parts for the rear, my bud also gave me free access to rancher parts at the shop !!..lol.:icon_gd:

#8 ·
oh..and bnt55...just because it looks simple..does not mean i'll just buzz right through it !..in case ya don't know ??..i tear allllllll the way into it..motor and all !..lmfao.

#9 ·
Lucky! I have to scrounge for parts, even the new stuff generally has to be ordered unless I head for the Honda Dealership and they usually hand me a jar of vaseline with each purchase.........:dry:

#11 ·
good luck i you will have it done in no time. Is this your first atv that was past the year 2000.

#13 ·
what one do you think you will ride more the 89 or 04.

#18 ·
wen do you think it will be done because i am excited to see it finished.

#19 ·
i have noooooooo idea bro ??????..i have not even started to strip it down yet !..lol. it all has to come apart...then i've got to pull the motor..split it..then go through everything to see how it looks ?. once i get past the motor rebuilding stage....then i'll start on the other stuff..front and rear differentals...then brakes..bearings....then strip it down to frame..then paint..the start to assemble it back together...as i do that...thats when i'll start going through all the seals..brakes..cables..first things first..stripping it..and getting the motor out and tore down.

#20 ·
i got the handle bar cover and cap..rear rack..and the indicator lamp assembly ordered just now ( needed the lamp part to test run the motor )..add these parts to my already light switch and ignition switch. if the weather would get alittle warmer ???????..lol..i'll start to tear her down. this is gonna be a easy rebuild from what i've seen so far...the engine will be a breeze to tear down.

#21 ·
finally got alittle warmer here today..so i had a couple hours to start yanking the parts off the rancher. got both front and rear fenders off, gas tank off..both foot wells, got the burnt trunk out..that part sucked !..lol. as i was taking the rear rack off..i noticed the PO tried welding it back to the frame !..crappy job..i've got to re-do that part..where the rack bolts to the frame. pulled the air breather cover..gawd what a mess..i wonder if it ever ran at all ???..wait until you see the air filter !..there's a pic of it...well..what's left of it!!!!!..please ppl..change out your air filter on a reg time frame !!!..this is one of the worst things you can do to a motor..thats run it on a nasty ass air filter...or..no filter at all !!..think about this..if your motor is running without a filter...then it's sucking in gawd knows what ???????..right onto your cylinder and piston !!..this will destroy your motor !!..sooo..please change your filter..and run your motor with one !!..i know all you yung guy's wanna fly faster because you think it's getting more air..and it is....thing is..IT'S GETTING MORE THAN AIR !!. anywayyyyyyy..i noticed the front tie rods are shot...one for sure !..have not got to the front bearings and rear bearings ..i'm sure they will need repacking or changed ??. anyway..thats as far as i got..it got dark..and cold real quick !..lol. here's a few pics of what i've got done..enjoy !.:icon_gd:

Attachments

#22 ·
more pic's of plastic off. this is the air filter !! notice the top cylinder how dark is it ?..leaking head gasket !. you can see the rear rack mounting bracket is bad..gotta fix that !.

Attachments

#23 ·
Hell Shade I renig on my comment on your other thread...lmao that's a steal!!! that quad was near a fire it didn't physically catch fire. you over exadgerated...LMFAO!!!!!

#25 ·
just the fenders and a few other plastics got burnt bro..not much for the rest of the bike..i think it will turn out really good !. i've got to get the motor out..and go through it..then i can start to get stuff done on it. needs a good power washing..thats for sure !..i think i've got 100 lbs of dirt on my work area ?!..lol. and i saidddddddd..the fenders got burnt..not the important parts !..lol.

#26 ·
What........three pages of posts and you're still not done with it? LOL. JK. Looks like the worst part is going to be cleaning all the mud off it. LOL.

#28 ·
damnittttttttt bro...i'm good...but i ain't that fast !!!!..lmfaoooooo..yeah..it's got a few extra pounds of mud and dirt on her !..lmfao. that alone is gonna take about an hour to pressure wash off !..that is..if it stays warm enough to run my pressure washer ????..lol.

#29 ·
it was either in a barn ?..or next to it ?..i know it was close enough to get hot !..lol. for around 600..i think i can get all new fenders and stuff..i've got some used tail lights ( they are like new ! ) and some rear splash gaurds..sooo..i won't need to buy those. main thing thats gonna cost me the most is the front and rear fender..both for about 250 or so ?.

#31 ·
don't know ????????..lol. i don't worry about that..because i'm gonna tear the motor down..and rebuild it back to new condition anyway..sooo..one way or another..it's gonna run and drive !..lol. got about 15 years rebuilding atc's and atv's..i'm pretty good at it.

#34 ·
What air filter??? LOL Nothing but just the element left..

NASTY bike, can't wait to see the Shadetree Shine put on her...
yep..i'd say the air filter was kinda..ummmmm..dead ???..lol. i'll get her all cleaned up..and she'll look like a new trx350fm rancher 4x4 !. gotta get the motor out..and tore down to see what all is bad ?..i hope i only have to replace the timing chain and rings ?..i'll know when i get that far on the motor tear down.

#35 ·
Good grief, is there a quad under the mud?! This is gonna be great, yours is a little more dirty than mine, and has all the parts but i cant wait to see the progress. If i was ready with my 04 we could have raced! :)

#41 ·
Good grief, is there a quad under the mud?! This is gonna be great, yours is a little more dirty than mine, and has all the parts but i cant wait to see the progress. If i was ready with my 04 we could have raced! :)
you should have seen the mud and dirt i dumped from just the headlights alone !!..man..i bet there was 20 lbs of mud and dirt just in one headlight !.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.