Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Brakes & Suspension

Brakes & Suspension Have a question about your brakes? Need some suspension advice? Try this section for answers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2012, 12:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #8365
View Deeperinthabush's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 6 times
How to fix sticking rear drum brakes

We see a lot of people asking why their rear drum brakes are squealing,sticking,locking up,or simply not working properly... I found this very well made,and explanatory video that shows what we've been trying to type into words so often on here in answer to the many questions...Watch it all the way through,and you too can perform your own rear brake repairs !!!
FREE REPAIR MANUALS >>http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums...all-years.html 1986-1992 trx350 parts for sale>>http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums/atv-parts-sale/29225-complete-part-out-1986-fourtrax-350-a.html
Deeperinthabush is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 04-08-2012, 12:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
View Helmut's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 8 times
Good info. Made this a sticky.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 04:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member #11240
View outdoorman's Photo Gallery(0)
great video but Ive got a 2004 honda recon and am stuck in the middle of trying to figure out how to separate the brake panel plate from the drum. they came off together when I tried to get the panel plate off. also the brake lever at the panel cover was nearly frozen and I could only move with mallet. thanks
outdoorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 05:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member #17833
View sabre54's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 1 times
You'll probably have to saturate it with wd/40 or some kind of solvent, then oil, the shoes are seized against the drum, may take a few days of soaking, then try to work it off slowly, one caution, you can't hit the drum or the backing plate with anything but a rubber mallet or you could crack the drum/damage the backing plate. With the soaking, there may be better products out there, I just don't know what.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member #19371
View HondaGav's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 16 times
I just connected a spring from the brake lever to the frame, Works like a charm.
-John Deere 322
-John Deere 855
-1998 Suzuki Quadrunner 250
-1994 Suzuki Quadrunner 280 (Project)
-1984 Big Red 200es
-1989 Skidoo Mach 1
HondaGav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member #11240
Sabre54- thanks for the good advice, it worked like a charm and I have completed reassembly.
I just did like in the video to replace my rear drum brakes on 04 Recon. Now the problem is that the brake cam lever has to be pulled all the way in order for the brake to stop. That is, I have to adjust the cables at the cam lever nearly all the way in order for the brake to work. Any suggestions?
By the way, I made sure the 'marks' line up when I put the cam lever back onto the (brake panel)cam.
What should I do now?

Last edited by outdoorman; 07-04-2012 at 12:05 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member #11240
anyone got any thoughts on how to fix this problem. Ive got the recon still up on a lift since last post.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
View Helmut's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 8 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorman View Post
Sabre54- thanks for the good advice, it worked like a charm and I have completed reassembly.
I just did like in the video to replace my rear drum brakes on 04 Recon. Now the problem is that the brake cam lever has to be pulled all the way in order for the brake to stop. That is, I have to adjust the cables at the cam lever nearly all the way in order for the brake to work. Any suggestions?
By the way, I made sure the 'marks' line up when I put the cam lever back onto the (brake panel)cam.
What should I do now?
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorman View Post
anyone got any thoughts on how to fix this problem. Ive got the recon still up on a lift since last post.
Your brake drum might be wore a lot. You can try removing the brake lever from the cam and rotating it forward a spline or two on the brake cam.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member #21572
View hawaii50's Photo Gallery(0)
I have a suzuki LT250ef it has a sticky brake. Is fixing it anything like your honda thx 400?
hawaii50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:10 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member #33487
View cheiderman's Photo Gallery(0)
great post, I had a similar issue where my rancher rear brakes were not working. I pulled of the cover/drum and dumped about 12 oz of water. I found my son had used my quad and about sank it. That was a few months ago so all the water in there had seized and corroded the entire brake Assembly. I ended up braking the shoes off as they were frozen. I had to chisel off the shoes parts on the posts.
cheiderman is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Brakes & Suspension

Search tags for this page

honda atv brakes repair

honda atv rear drum brakes sticking

honda foreman 500 drum hardware

honda rancher 4 wheeler rear brakes sticking

how to fix sticky drum breaks

how to repair brakes on a honda four wheeler

how to stop fourwheeler brake squeal

new drum brakes sticking

rear drum brakes sticking

sticky drum brakes

the rear brakes are sticking on my honda 500 foreman

what kind of brakes does a honda 4 wheeler have

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.