Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Brakes & Suspension

Brakes & Suspension Have a question about your brakes? Need some suspension advice? Try this section for answers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2012, 07:40 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member #15580
View derider's Photo Gallery(0)
Brake Drum Removal

Hello All, I recently purchased my 1st 3 wheeler, 1986 honda 250sx. I am attempting to replace the rear brake shoes and having a SMALL problem, I can't get the drum off.
I have removed the tire-rim,castle nut,hub,aluminum drum cover and both brake cables. First attempt at drum caused my 3 jaw puller to break, had jaws in the multiple holes in the drum and while great pressure being applied, one of the jaws broke. Drum is still good. I have soaked the drum/axle spline mating area for four days while waiting for my shoes to come in and attempted to pull it yesterday with negative results. I did attempt to heat the drum spline area with my hardware store throwaway torch and that did not loosen it. I have tried prying between the drum and backer plate while applying pressure with the gear puller and succeeded in chipping the backer plate. I have struck the bolt head on puller with hammer while pressure being applied and still no go. Is there a part or piece I am missing that needs to be removed from the backer plate? I have checked while applying pressure to see if the shoes are catching on the "ridge" of the drum and it doesn't appear to be due to the actuator arm moving freely forwards and back while the peressure is applied and I can see through the holes in the hub that the shoes are expanding and contracting properly.
Do I need a big boy torch and heat the drum spline area cherry red or what?
Thanks for any suggestions Rich
derider is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 01-26-2012, 08:18 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member #8080
View Louk's Photo Gallery(0)
85 used 2 set screws to hold it to the hub 86 did not. drum should seperate from hub. does drum turn ok shoes are not holding it are they?
apply heat on face of drum surface that contacts hub. alot of times you smack the drum face with a hammer to knock it free like you do with car and truck drums and rotors
Louk
Louk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:31 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member #15580
The hub has seperated from the brake drum, I have it setting on my bench. I just cannot get the drum off. The drum turns fine, when the brake was applied it had no stopping power. With the rear lifted turning the drum by hand it spins freely then when pushing the brake activator lever it does engage the brakes to stop the drum. I will borrow a friends torch unit this weekend and give that a try with more heat and striking the drum as well. Thanks for the advice.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:54 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member #8080
View Louk's Photo Gallery(0)
ok let me know how u make out
Louk
Louk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
View shadetree's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 173 times
more than likely..the brake drum is rusted on the axle splines..it will come off..it's gonna take some time if it's never been removed lately ????..the brake drums center is steel..sooooooo..it rust....if you can use your throw away torch..heat the chit outta the center where the drums spline area meet the axle..with enough heat..the brake drum will come off..instead off applying pulling pressure as you heat it...just heat it..tap it on..yes..i said on !..then spray some wd-40 into the spline area..yes..it will smoke..or flare up !..lol. now..right after you shut the heat off..apply eqaul pressure to both edges of the brake drum with some pry bars..becareful not to break the backing plate !!..put your pry bars at 9 and 3 o'clock behind the brake drum...try working it off...if it does not move at all ?..re-heat..tap it back on some more..then rinse and repeat what i said..keep soaking it with wd-40 as your working the brake drum off and on..sooner or later..the brake drum will work it's way further off the spline area..then knock it back on..rinse and repeat..it should come off further and further..then off all the way..and yes..those propane torches do get stuff hot enough !!. i have done it this way many MANY TIMES !!..and have seen some brake drums that you would never think they would come off !!!!!!..buttttttt..after alittle time and work ???..they do come off !..what ever you do ???..DO NOT TRY TO RUSH IT !!!!.. this is a no no..take your time..if it seems like your not getting anywhere ?..soak it..let it sit for a bit..take a beer break....lol..( don't drink too many..just yet ! )..lol..then come back..and give it another go..keep doing it this way...i'll bet you..that brake drum will come off !!!!!.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
View Helmut's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 11 times
Those brake drums are a PITA. I wish there was an easy way to get them off when they're rusted/seized on, but there's not. You just have to keep working at it like Shadetree and Louk has stated. Good luck.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member #15580
THANKS for the suggestion of heat,heat and heat. I finally removed the brake drum this afternoon after applying heat with an oxy acetylene torch. The existing pads looked as if they had never touched the drum. The adjuster nuts were cranked all the way in and when applying the foot brake I needed to press it at least 4+ inches down which barley engaged the brakes. I have a suspicion that an incorrect brake cable is here? Anybody know the length this cable is supposed to be?
Old 02-02-2012, 08:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
Quote:
Originally Posted by derider View Post
THANKS for the suggestion of heat,heat and heat. I finally removed the brake drum this afternoon after applying heat with an oxy acetylene torch. The existing pads looked as if they had never touched the drum. The adjuster nuts were cranked all the way in and when applying the foot brake I needed to press it at least 4+ inches down which barley engaged the brakes. I have a suspicion that an incorrect brake cable is here? Anybody know the length this cable is supposed to be?
i don't know the correct cable ?..buttttttt..have a look at the brake cam lever..where your cables attach ?..remove the wing nuts from both cables..then remove the cam bolt and nut..slide the cam lever off alittle.so you can rotate it backwards a few notches..then install the cam bolt and nut..then run your brake cables back through the cam lever..install the wing nuts..work the foot brake first..this is how i can tell if i'm getting good rotation on the brake shoes..once you have it set right ?..tighten down the cam lever bolt and nut real good...dont strip it out !..then adjust the handle bar brake cable..pull the cable all the way back through the cam lever ( don't forget to put the springs back on ! )..then the wing nut..see if your handle bar brake lever works and returns ?...oh..and make sure your brake cam..the part that goes through the backing plate ??..you may want to remove it....clean it up with some sand paper or wire brush ?..then put some grease on it..stick it back through..and make sure it turns freely ?.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member #15580
Shadetree, you hit it out of the park, did just what you suggested and TADAAAA. I now have operational brakes. I guess the previous owner must have taken the brake arm off at some time and put back on incorrectly, the shoes showed no wear at all due to the brake pedal not working, I sanded the rust out of the brake drum and now after adjusting the brake arm as you said, the brakes work as they are supposed to. Thanks Again Rich
Old 02-04-2012, 08:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
Quote:
Originally Posted by derider View Post
Shadetree, you hit it out of the park, did just what you suggested and TADAAAA. I now have operational brakes. I guess the previous owner must have taken the brake arm off at some time and put back on incorrectly, the shoes showed no wear at all due to the brake pedal not working, I sanded the rust out of the brake drum and now after adjusting the brake arm as you said, the brakes work as they are supposed to. Thanks Again Rich
your welcome bro !..glad i could help a fellow rider out !.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Brakes & Suspension

Search tags for this page
1985 honda 200m how to change the breaks

atc 250sx brake cable

change brakes honda atc 110
honda 200 atv three wheeler what does mean if the brake doesn't go in gear

how do you do rear brakes on a 1985 honda atc125

how to change brake shoes on a big red honda

how to change brake shoes on a honda trx 200 sx 4 wheeler

how to change brakes on a atc70

how to change the brakes on a 1985 honda trx125

how to get cover off brake shoes on a trx 90

how to take off a 250es big red brake drum

removing honda 200s brakes

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.