Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Brakes & Suspension

Brakes & Suspension Have a question about your brakes? Need some suspension advice? Try this section for answers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2011, 03:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member #10699
View MarioWeldingInc's Photo Gallery(0)
Is this correct?? 400ex Rear Axle

These pics are from the back of my 400ex. Is this how the locknut is supposed to be located? Also there is a very slight rotational movement when I try to turn the locknut and collar by hand. The locknut, collar and the threaded section move as one. They rotate maybe a degree.
Attached Thumbnails
Is this correct?? 400ex Rear Axle-2011-06-1516.19.15.jpg   Is this correct?? 400ex Rear Axle-2011-06-1516.18.56.jpg  
MarioWeldingInc is online now   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 06-15-2011, 03:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #8365
View Deeperinthabush's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 6 times
Nope,you have them in the wrong position...The 1 with the smooth area goes on 1st with the smooth part inwards like it is sitting on there now,and the skinny nut locks against it using 2 wrenches if I remember correctly....
FREE REPAIR MANUALS >>http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums...all-years.html 1986-1992 trx350 parts for sale>>http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums/atv-parts-sale/29225-complete-part-out-1986-fourtrax-350-a.html
Deeperinthabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 03:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member #10699
Basically the collar nut is supposed to be against the rotor covering up the threads and the backup nut holds that collar on there.

I thought so, I just bought this quad and the rear pads were worn down to the backing plate. When I was fixing the brakes I noticed the lock nut really didnt seem to be doing anything. How can i tell if this is the factory axle and if it is why would he take apart the rear??

Thanks for your help!
Old 06-15-2011, 04:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #8365
Just by looking at the pics posted I'd say it was a stock axle as usually people put a wider axle on when,or if they have to replace it,plus it has the OEM cadmium patina to it unlike the aftermarket shiney look...As to why take the rear apart the bearings need replacing in them often times if ridden hard,or mud riding seems to accelerate their going out on the exs from my past experiences with them...
FREE REPAIR MANUALS >>http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums...all-years.html 1986-1992 trx350 parts for sale>>http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums/atv-parts-sale/29225-complete-part-out-1986-fourtrax-350-a.html

Last edited by Deeperinthabush; 06-15-2011 at 04:02 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member #10699
Last time I buy an atv from a lawyer!
Old 06-15-2011, 04:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
View Helmut's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 8 times
That looks right to me. There's a stopper ring on the axle that the big nut tightens out against. You can't see the stopper ring in the picture, as it's under the edge of the big nut. The nuts have left hand threads so when you turn the big nut clockwise, it locks against the stopper ring and pushes the threaded sleeve in against the brake rotor hub. Then the smaller nut locks against the big nut.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.

Last edited by Helmut; 06-15-2011 at 04:11 PM.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 04:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member #10699
OK one person says no and another says yes LOL. OK if that is correct should I be able to move that assembly with my hand no matter how slight?

The service manual doesnt make this assembly any clearer. I googled pics of rear axles on 400exs and most were antifade units (sigh). Are antifades worth the money?

Last edited by MarioWeldingInc; 06-15-2011 at 04:18 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #8365
K,I was remembering wrong...Here's a diagram that shows the proper installation order...
Attached Thumbnails
Is this correct?? 400ex Rear Axle-rear_axel_-_drive_chain.jpg  
Old 06-15-2011, 04:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
View Helmut's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 8 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioWeldingInc View Post
OK one person says no and another says yes LOL. OK if that is correct should I be able to move that assembly with my hand no matter how slight?
I'm not sure if it's normal to be able to move that a very slight amount or not. I know it shouldn't move much at all because of the splines on the axle. You might want to loosen the lock nut and re-torque the big nut just to make sure. Some of the sport quad guys should be online soon and they can tell you for sure.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.

Last edited by Helmut; 06-15-2011 at 04:35 PM.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 05:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #417
View TRX2fiveO's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 35 times
Loosen the slim nut all the way to the rotor getting it out of the way, now turn the big nut towards the front of the quad you need to support the rearend off the ground too by the way. keep turning the big nut until it feel snug, now grab the rear wheels and wiggle them front to back alternating ie. push with one hand and at the same time pull with the other if the axle has any movement turn the nut more it will tighten up on the collar stop ring if it dosent then either the big nut is stripped on the threads closest to the hex part or the threaded collar is stripped.
07 Suzuki LTZ250 (Sons)
00 TRX350TM 4X2 (Resale bike)
01 TRX250EX (TLC Needed)
74' CB360 (future FrankenQuad)
Work in progress
http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums...nstruction.htm

http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums...e-2-hicks.html
TRX2fiveO is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Brakes & Suspension

Search tags for this page

400ex axle

400ex axle nut install
400ex axle nut removal
400ex rear axle

400ex rear axle assembly

400ex rear axle diagram

400ex rear axle nut
400ex rear end
honda 400 ex rear axel diagram

honda 400ex parts diagram

honda 400ex rear axle diagram

threads showing on 400 ex axl
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.