Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Brakes & Suspension

Brakes & Suspension Have a question about your brakes? Need some suspension advice? Try this section for answers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2011, 09:27 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member #8638
View c5ken's Photo Gallery(0)
Is the Foot Brake adjustable - Honda Rincon

Can I adjust the foot brake on a 2003 Honda Rincon 650?

The rear hand brake workes great but when I only apply the foot brake, I have little to no braking. Help..
c5ken is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 03-26-2011, 11:26 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member #7607
View Manny's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 5 times
i have a 03 rincon too and i looked through my manual and i could not find a rear brake adjustment. have you checked the rear brake fluid? its under the side cover on the right side of your seat. also, maybe it needs to be bleed?
Old 03-26-2011, 02:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
View Helmut's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 11 times
Yeah, I don't think you will find an adjustment, since you have disc brakes. Like Manny said, check the brake fluid and if it's full, you might need to bleed the brakes.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:51 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member #8638
Prior to asking the above question, I disassembled the rear brake, pulled the pads & checked everything out. All appears to be in order. I also replaced the brake fluid in the front & rear brakes. The fluid was honey color & had some little white junk in it. The brake fluid in now clear. After I did the above, the brakes work great when using the hand levers. However, when in 2WD & I hit the foot peddle, I have little to no brakes. I was hoping there was an adjestment for the foot brake peddle....
Old 03-27-2011, 11:52 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member #7607
View Manny's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 5 times
maybe you possibly have some gunk in the brake lines? not sure just trying to think of some ideas
Old 03-27-2011, 02:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member #8124
View Ballast's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 15 times
Just read the manual, I can't see anything about foot petal adjustment. Looked at mine and I thought the nut below the master cylinder may be the thing but I guess no. Are the bushings or whatever where the foot petal rotates loose?
Attached Thumbnails
Is the Foot Brake adjustable - Honda Rincon-dscf0578.jpg  

Two 06 TRX250EXs.....Tusk nerf bars, swing arm skid plates
85 TRX125.... sadly sold

Haliburton ATV Association - come check out our 1000 miles of trails www.haliburtonatv.com

Last edited by Ballast; 03-27-2011 at 03:50 PM. Reason: photo
Ballast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member #8638
I CHECKED THE FOOT PEDDLE LINKAGE TODAY & EVERYTHING APPEARS TO BE IN GOOD CONDITION.
I think I'll buy a MityVac & suck out the brake fluid again. I'm not sure what that white junk was/is when I changed out the break fluid several days ago.

Has anyone ever used a MityVac when changing out break fluid?

As I stated in my prior note, when I changed out the break fluid last week, it was honey color & had some white particles in it. Is it normal for old break fluid (7 years old) to be honey color?
Old 03-27-2011, 08:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member #8124
View Ballast's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 15 times
The fluid darkens with age until it gets nearly black. My Porsche recommends changing every 2 years to maintain optimum braking, brake fluid absorbs atmospheric water and will then boil at lower temperatures when really hard repeated braking (track stuff).

White chunks ????

Two 06 TRX250EXs.....Tusk nerf bars, swing arm skid plates
85 TRX125.... sadly sold

Haliburton ATV Association - come check out our 1000 miles of trails www.haliburtonatv.com
Ballast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:13 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member #8638
I'm not sure what the "white chunks" were in the old brake fluid. The white chunks with about 1/16" long. I think most of the junk came out when I replaced the break fluid.
I can get a MityVac on the Internet for about $30.00. Maybe if I use the MityVac to suck out all of the break fluid again it will clear the lines.... Just wish I could get a good solid foot break petal. What is confusing to me is when I apply the rear breaks via the hand lever I can lock-up the rear wheels. When using the foot petal only in 2wd, I can't lock the rear wheels.

Thanks for all of the help/suggestions. Maybe I'll call Honda & see if they have any suggestions....
Old 03-28-2011, 08:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Member #2486
View elmerkit's Photo Gallery(0)
Also check for the wear and tear of your brake pads and change your fluid regularly.
elmerkit is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Brakes & Suspension

Search tags for this page

brake adjustment on a 2004 honda rincon

brake adjustment rincon

fix ur brake on a honda 650 rincon

honda 650 brakes adjustment

honda atv 650 brake adjustment

honda atv foot brake adjustment 2006 rincon

honda recon250 rear brakes locked up

honda rincon no foot brake

honda rincon rear brake adjustment

honda+rincon springs

how to adjust rear brakes on a honda rincon

picture of rear reservoir on honda rincon brakes
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.