Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Discussions > ATV Purchasing and Price

ATV Purchasing and Price Getting ready to purchase your first ATV? Discussions concerning ATV comparisons, models, prices, and all purchasing related questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2012, 09:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member #16181
View FatherQuad's Photo Gallery(0)
1999 400ex worth it?

Hi everybody! I've been looking for a used 400ex for a few weeks now. My budget has been $2000 or less, and I found something that looks pretty promising on craigslist the other day. My only issue with it is the fact that is is a 1999, not a 2002+ that I was looking for. Is this a deal breaker? You tell me. I just want something that will last me a while without huge maintenance, because I don't have the cash or smarts for anything too big. Anyway, here is some info on the quad. The owner has a title in hand, it has been taken care of with new air filters and oil changes every season. The only 3rd party items would be a slip on exhaust(he didn't specify the brand), and some different handlebars(I forgot which, doesn't really matter to me though). Everything else is stock according to him, which is just what I wanted to hear. He says that he purchased the 400ex in 2003 from the original owner, used it a lot for the three years after, and has only used it several times every year since. It has never been rolled, and from the photos, it appears to be in very good cosmetic condition. He is asking $1,600 for it. It's definitely within my budget, but I still would like opinions etc. I've seen some people on here get a newer 400ex for hundreds less, and I don't want to rush into this deal, only to see a newer, cheaper quad for the same or below what I would buy this for. So what do you guys think? Should I take a look at it? What sorts of things should I look out for? Also, what is the best time to look to buy a quad? I'd gladly wait if I could score a better deal.

Thanks for any help provided!
FatherQuad is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 02-15-2012, 10:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member #10625
View atvrider13's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 22 times
It sounds like a nice quad. And 1600 sounds like a fair price.
atvrider13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member #4493
View jkhuntin's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 1 times
Welcome from the Volunteer state. If it's got a S/O pipe make sure that it has been jetted accordingly.
27" mudlites, ITP SS212's
710 BBK and hot cams mudbuster
HMF Utility series slip on pipe
Mud bike

2004 Rancher 400AT
Bone stock
Hunting and trail bike.

2013 Rancher 420 AT.
jkhuntin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:18 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member #7607
View Manny's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 4 times
they go for less in my parts. consider this, its a 13 year old machine, and that's 13 years of possible lack of maintenance. i have seen MANY go for cheaper that were completely stock.....i would pass and pay a little MORE for a completely stock machine.
Manny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:15 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member #11638
View Alfresco's Photo Gallery(0)
"Oil changes every season" What does that mean exactly? Four times a year seasons, or every riding season, which could be once a year to someone.
Check the frame for cracks at the welds.
Take the seat off and see if the airbox has a lid on it. Don't be alarmed if it doesn't, many exs with an aftermarket exhaust, run without a lid to improve performance. If it does have a lid, take it off. Lid or no lid, if the airbox is dirty inside, that shows a laziness in their maintenance routine, and personally, I'd pass. No matter what their story was.
Take a floor jack with you. Jack up the rear, start it up and put it in gear. Do the rear wheels wobble? If they do, it's either got a bent wheel, bad bearings, bent axle, or some combination of them. Just so you know, when I jack mine up like that and put it in gear, the wheels still turn with the clutch applied. Once the tires are on the ground though, the clutch works fine, just needs some resistance.
Since you aren't in any hurry, offer him hundreds less. Just don't low ball him so far that it's offensive. He has probably already figured some haggling room, into his asking price anyway.
I suggest putting nerf bars on it. Sure they'll make it look cooler, but most importantly, they offer your feet and ankles some safety.
Good luck!

Last edited by Alfresco; 02-16-2012 at 07:30 AM.
Alfresco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member #16181
View FatherQuad's Photo Gallery(0)
Thanks you all for the help you have provided thus far, this forum is so much better than the last one I used. Posted a questions on there, January 29th, and still have not had 1 reply to it. I decided not to go with that quad because it was just too expensive for its age. I did, however, find another quad. It is (from what I can tell) a completely stock 2005 400ex, and the guy wants $1,650 for it. I emailed him about it, asking him generally what I asked the other guy who was selling the 1999. About maintenance, title, etc. My only concern is how cheap the quad is. I do not want to buy myself a money pit, but I'm not exactly sure how much any of the years usually go for. It's really tempting though. What do you guys think about it? A stock 2005 400ex for $1,650, is that too good to be true, or is it an actual price that people usually sell 400ex' for? Lot's of people I see like to sell their 10 year old+ 400ex for $2,000+, and that's the only thing that makes me wonder.. What sorts of things should I ask him before getting serious about this deal?

Thanks for any help!
FatherQuad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
View shadetree's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherQuad View Post
Thanks you all for the help you have provided thus far, this forum is so much better than the last one I used. Posted a questions on there, January 29th, and still have not had 1 reply to it. I decided not to go with that quad because it was just too expensive for its age. I did, however, find another quad. It is (from what I can tell) a completely stock 2005 400ex, and the guy wants $1,650 for it. I emailed him about it, asking him generally what I asked the other guy who was selling the 1999. About maintenance, title, etc. My only concern is how cheap the quad is. I do not want to buy myself a money pit, but I'm not exactly sure how much any of the years usually go for. It's really tempting though. What do you guys think about it? A stock 2005 400ex for $1,650, is that too good to be true, or is it an actual price that people usually sell 400ex' for? Lot's of people I see like to sell their 10 year old+ 400ex for $2,000+, and that's the only thing that makes me wonder.. What sorts of things should I ask him before getting serious about this deal?

Thanks for any help!
first off...i just don't understand why members come on here..asking about a price for a bike..atv..whatever...when they shoulddddddd go to kelly blue book !!!..this is the best bang for the buck !!..lol. they give you a rough price on the make..model..what not...they figure in the age..miles..all of that..then they give you a bottom retail value..this may be high ?..it may be low ?..still..it gives you a pretty damn good price for the atv..motor cycle..car..whatever...i use them alot..when i'm researching a used atv ??..first thing i do is find out all i can from kelly blue book...then i contact the seller..ask them why thier price is such and such ???..after i hear thier sad bs story ?..i then tell them the trade in retail price of whatever they are selling !..thennnnnnn..they can not argure why it's this and that price !..cept..maybe if they got a ton of upgrades done to it ?..freshly rebuilt motor..whatever..thennnnn..i figure in what it would run with this price ???..once it's all said and done ?..then i throw my price at them !..they can either take the cash ?..or i walk !..i know what it's worth ahead of time..i do not give them much room for making a killing off me !!..lmfao. now...with that said...yes..1600 is a very decent price..as to why it's so cheap ?..the seller will have to tell you why !..maybe they are hurting for cash ?..getting a divorce ?..hell..who knows ??..cept the seller !..lol. as long as you know what it's really worth ??..then don't sweat it..unlessssssssssss..it needs a ton of work ????..and this is where you come in !!..explaining to the seller..just what all it's gonna take to get it running right !. i hope this helps you in your choice...when you go to battle..have your weapons on you and ready..this is my point !..lol.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
View shadetree's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherQuad View Post

Thanks for any help!
and to prove my point...my '85 v30 magna..guy wanted 600 for it..i looked it up on kbb..then i contacted the guy.told him what it would be worth..he droped his price to 400..i said..look..if i'm driving from little rock arkansas..all the way to st, mo. and after i get there..and look it over ?..that price will have to come down alot !..he replied..sure..no problem..i got there..he kinda left out a ton of small details..lmfao..tank was dented..tires were bad..no battery..missing side covers..the list got very long !!!..lmfao...after i explained all of this to him ?..how hard it was gonna be to find parts for it..driving all that way for 6 hours ?..i said..mister..this bike as it sit's is only worth 300 bucks..tops!!..he thought about it..said..sir..your right..i'll take 300 for it !!..he signed the title over..helped me load it..off i went right back to arkansas !..lol. and no..i did not rip him off..it needed a chit load of work and parts!!..lol.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member #15833
View 99ex's Photo Gallery(0)
to me that sounds like a fair price . i got a 99 400ex and got it for 1100 dollars . but they are very low maintnance quad. i
Old 02-21-2012, 05:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member #14099
View slincolnn's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 1 times
Welcome to the forum.In my opinion you never know what you are getting when you buy something used.It is very easy to make stuff look good.Buy what you want and keep in mind that there will be stuff that you think need fixed and they think is ok.Talk them down and save the money from your budget to repair whatever is required.You will not be disappointed with any 400ex but if you can get one with reverse then you will probably be happier.Aftermarket parts don't always mean abuse or neglect.I have several performance parts on my stuff and take extremely good care of my equipment.
03 recon
slincolnn is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Discussions > ATV Purchasing and Price

Search tags for this page

1999 400ex

1999 honda 400 ex

1999 honda 400ex

1999 honda 400ex for sale

1999 honda 400ex value
1999 honda ex 400
1999 honda trx400ex
2000 honda 400ex for sale
99 400 ex

99 400ex

99 honda 400ex

how much is a 1999 honda 400ex worth

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.