How do YOU trail ride? - Honda ATV Forum
Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

ATV General Discussion General Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2016, 10:29 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member #81753
View rancherinthewoods's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 1 times
How do YOU trail ride?

Hi all,

Figured I'd start a thread about one of my favorite things to do on my new ATV. Trail Ride.

Post how you like to trail ride, in what terrain, and any tips, tricks, or tools you use. (This is by no means limited to riding pre-cleared trails, any riding in the woods/country applies)

Personally, I love making my own trail through woods. If it's not covered with thorns 4 feet high, I like going through it, running over small trees, and clearing a new path.

I haven't had my ATV long enough to do this a lot but I think a machete would be a vital tool for this.
rancherinthewoods is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 12-29-2016, 11:06 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member #34361
View Larryw's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 276 times
I prefer woods riding technical trails, old logging roads, off the beaten path stuff.
Larryw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 11:50 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member #45772
View Freedomflyer's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 75 times
I like the forest service trails provided, they seem to be plenty challenging and afford us access to some unbelievable country. Breaking our own trails here would result in fines and potential loss of access to the thousands and thousands of miles of trails accessible in our state not only to me and my family but all the others that love this sport, not worth the risk to me. Not to mention the potential erosion factor caused by others that might follow that type of trail that I might have created. Just my 2 cents.

How do YOU trail ride?-20150711_141544.jpg

How do YOU trail ride?-20150907_150728.jpg

How do YOU trail ride?-20160707_103015.jpg

How do YOU trail ride?-20160918_104713.jpg

How do YOU trail ride?-20160918_155000.jpg
rancherinthewoods likes this.

Last edited by Freedomflyer; 12-29-2016 at 12:47 PM.
Freedomflyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2016, 12:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
View shadetree's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 1507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedomflyer View Post
I like the forest service trails provided, they seem to be plenty challenging and afford us access to some unbelievable country. Breaking our own trails here would result in fines and potential loss of access to the thousands and thousands of miles of trails accessible in our state not only to me and my family but all the others that love this sport, not worth the risk to me. Not to mention the potential erosion factor caused by others that might follow that type of "off the beaten path" trail. Just my 2 cents.

Attachment 61530

Attachment 61538

Attachment 61546

Attachment 61554

Attachment 61562
that is some awesome land there bro !!, i'd love to take a ride in that area. just...WOW !!!.
rancherinthewoods likes this.
Old 12-29-2016, 01:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member #45772
View Freedomflyer's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 75 times
Shade, it really is awesome to be able to ride here, we are truly blessed. I hope I didn't offend anyone by my comment, I just wouldn't want to take the chance of losing accessibility to these wonderful trails. Our only downfall is that the trail riding season is so short, only about 4 months due to the altitude and the snow arriving so early and staying for so long. Unfortunately that's the bummer part. As it is we have so many people making short cut trails between switch backs so we already have access concerns. Plus a lot of our areas are so steep it would be "bye bye birdy." The forest service does an amazing job on our trails keeping them in great shape, lots of work.

Last edited by Freedomflyer; 12-29-2016 at 01:28 PM.
Freedomflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 01:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
View shadetree's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 1507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedomflyer View Post
Shade, it really is awesome to be able to ride here, we are truly blessed. I hope I didn't offend anyone by my comment, I just wouldn't want to take the chance of losing accessibility to these wonderful trails. Our only downfall is that the trail riding season is so short, only about 4 months due to the altitude and the snow arriving so early and staying for so long. Unfortunately that's the bummer part. As it is we have so many people making short cut trails between switch backs we already have access concerns. The forest service does an amazing job on our trails keeping them in great shape, lots of work.
no offense taken bro, I truly understand how you feel about making our own trials ?..I don't like this either. why ruin a great way to ride for everyone else ?..stay on the beaten path, and enjoy the land :-).
wildcat likes this.
Old 12-29-2016, 01:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member #83306
View snowlizzard's Photo Gallery(0)
Amen to that guys, sorry rancherinthewoods, we wouldn't get away with that here either, as fun as it sounds to explore and create, it would be too risky to chance.
snowlizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 02:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member #27661
View mac102004's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 842 times
My trails tend to be a bit damp, although a lot of it is old rail beds as well.

As far as making my own path or bushwhacking as I call it, I don't really do it around here, a bit on my own property but that's it. When I was in Alberta I did a lot of it. You'd have to scout the location for a well of something and didn't want to walk a couple miles off the nearest seismic line or pipeline ROW so you'd just push the quads through the bush.

Click the image to open in full size.
Attached Thumbnails
How do YOU trail ride?-scene00346.jpg  
Larryw likes this.
Old 12-29-2016, 02:33 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member #13351
View mrbb's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 812 times
I personally like to ride a lot of different terrain, on the atv anymore I am like an old fart I guess, I enjoy more going slow and seeing critters and what not's
I have a wide range of terrain here, from woods, to old coal mine property to farm lands, to a lot of swamps and streams and watery area's

BUT since there are VERY few LEGAL trails in my home state, I tend to ride on private property I have access to, and most are rather strict on any OFF trail riding, due to how damaging an ATV can be to the environment
randomly riding thru the woods sounds good, but it honestly does a lot more damage than you think, and with an ATV, after just a few passes, that wooded area NOW become a trail and a major erosion area
35+ yrs in same area and seen how much damage atv's have done and changed the landscape here over the last 15 yrs
SO< before you go riding randomly thru the woods, you might want to find out if its legal, or if the land owner allows, or you could end up with a bunch of fines or pi$$ed off land owners!!

also want to add this, in my area on LEGAL trails that run thru private lands, the number one reason trails get closed here if when a rider goes off trail and land owner gets pi$$ed off and then doesn;t allow ANYONE to ride there any more
so major side effect can happen from going off trail!
My snowmobile club looses about 25+ miles of trails every yr due to guys that leave the trail and land owners close there land to us!
and its NOT just in PA< this happens
as they say some times its just a few bad apples that ruin the fun for all

and
Not trying to bash, just honest advice!! as I don't know if its legal to ride off trail where your at!
but heads up please, and check into it?
coalcracker likes this.

Last edited by mrbb; 12-29-2016 at 02:37 PM.
mrbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 03:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member #5374
Location: 'Land of Grizzlies and Salmon' .... British Columbia
View Macarena Man's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 210 times
We have thousands of miles of logging road in British Columbia ..... from very active to overgrown and barely discernable ...... very lucky!
Great photos Fflyer ...... elk in the third photo.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion