How do YOU trail ride? - Page 4 - Honda ATV Forum
ATV General Discussion General Discussions about Honda ATVs.

21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 09:39 AM

Liked: 49 times
For me it's mostly dirt roads, trails, fields, and almost all on private land. Not much public land around here to ride on. Quickest way to get thrown off of private land around here is to tear it up or litter. I'm thankful most landowners around here don't mind you traversing their land as long as you ride like you have some sense and don't trash up the place. I've found that if you respectfully ask the land owner for permission to traverse his or her property with the promise you will tread lightly, most will gladly extend you that courtesy. You still have the occasional @$$hole that wouldn't let his mother ride across his place but a lot of that is secondary to people doing what I mentioned earlier which ruins the fun for everyone.

2015 Rubicon Automatic DCT
Front & Rear Stick-Stoppers
Rear Padded Cargo Seat
Honda Rear Bumper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 12:13 PM

Liked: 925 times
wood, I agree with you mostly, by asking politely many times access can be had
but I am fully against calling a land owner a name due to he says NO< , its there land, they should be able to do what they want on it and NOT be called names
MOST all land owners I know and as even you pointed out, STOP allowing folks to ride there property due to reasons and good one's
so calling them names doesn't help relations or chances of them opening up there land again
old saying, lead by example
speaks in many ways!

another good tip, to gain access , is to tell land owners you will pick trash up as you find it and help keep the place clean and well, trails open and NOT make new one's
I have hauled out a LOT of other people's trash on the lands I have permission to ride, and get thanked all the time for doing so by owners

I also see and hear a ton of other rioers tell me, they WON"T as NOT there trash why should they pick it up
I always reply, as keeping it clean, your trash or NOT< keeps you having a place to ride, rather simple logic, but far too many just drive by cans and bottles and??
and never even THINK to stop and pick it up

yes its a hassle, all the more is HOT summer days and stinky or can's with bee's in them(been stung a few too many times on that deal LOL)
but it again sure me me welcomed back to the places I ride and been riding same places for 30+ yrs now due to being liked for my efforts , when MANY many places have been closed to others

I always say, if you can haul it in, haul it out, its lighter on way out too ? NO reason to be a jerk and litter up someone else land, even your own for that matter!
post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 02:20 PM

Liked: 2 times
Click the image to open in full size.
When its cold enough, on ice.
Menard_LaPue likes this.

1995 Honda TRX300 Fourtrax 2x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 05:48 PM

Liked: 42 times
Grandma's back yard!

I like to ride the State Forest Trail systems in Ohio. In West Virginia, I like all of the riding! From the creek beds, gas, fire & logging roads, hell even the main roads! And all the over grown trails the locals forget about. Here's a clip going up Bull Mountain Wv.

Bull mountain is one of the highest elevations around where I ride in Wv @ 1428 ft. creek level is around 700 ft there. In this video I'm messing around with different camera views on the way up the hill. Where this video ends, if I keep going it backs into my late Grandmothers hill/land.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qSAXS6C6bs

Video going up the hill at the back of her property. It's hard to see but around 1:40 in video is trail to the right, that goes up the back side of Bull mountain. Around the 2 minute mark when I start going d/hill is where my Family's land ends, but goes well the the left!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVTXsqdfQFQ

#1 2008 Honda Trx700xx HMF Performance Exhaust, PCV, Stroked 710cc, 10.5:1 Wiseco Piston, Frt Elka Stage 4's, Fox Podium X rear's, EHS Lid, L8ton Stealth Bumper and 11/16" sway bar
#2 2008 Trx700xx AMR Reaper, Ehs Big 3, P/P head, Xcalibur Cam, Hard Welded Rockers, +1 In/Ex Valves, +3 Throttle body, 11:1 CP Piston, OMF Wheels & GBC tires, L8ton 11/16th Sway Bar, PRM Utility Rack & Desert II Front Bumper.

post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 10:03 PM

Liked: 109 times
Trail head starts at 6500ft., the lake is at 7557ft, and the peak we ended up hiking to 9839 ft., lived here all but 3 of my 53 years and had never been there was sure worth the jaunt. Now when I look at the mountains out my back door I look at them differently and have a much greater appreciation for them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160918_090522.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	1.70 MB
ID:	63369   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160918_091258.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	3.51 MB
ID:	63377   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160918_102409.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	869.0 KB
ID:	63393   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160918_115424.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	4.95 MB
ID:	63401   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0954.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	63410  

post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 10:15 PM

The circled peak is the one we were on, can't wait till next spring when there is some snow left up there
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150114_165823.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	63426  
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 08:55 AM

great place to ride for sure and great views, sure wish I had stuff like that closer to me

very lucky to live where you do if you ask me, and I bet its easy to take for granted,

funny how we all do that at times on things we live next to, and not seeing how lucky we are to have"X" ?
post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 10:13 PM

Yeah I would say at times I probably do take it for granted, then I gripe when I go out and there are people on "my" trail. I Have been extremely spoiled living in this state, population wise, there are just barely a million people in the entire state. That means 3 Pennsylvania's can fit into Montana and there are 1/12th the amount of people here. I was at a RC Model airshow in South Carolina back in 2008 and got to visiting with a gentleman from Germany, he asked me where I was from and told me he was interested in Montana because they were very close in size square mileage wise. Only about 8000 square miles difference, the big difference is population 81 million people there, I can't imagine 81 million people in our state, Alaska here I come! I can't blame people for wanting to come and live here because they want to get away from the "rat race" of life. And because of the internet and people being able to work out of their home, we get an influx of pretty wealthy folks. And.......what I have a problem with is them coming here and trying to change the way of life where "I" live. Not enough culture, unhappy because the county doesn't maintain the road to their 20 acre "Ranchette" so they petition and petition and petition to get a road paved then everybody's taxes go up because they don't want to hit a bump or get dust on their Escalade, Not enough strip malls or outlet stores, buying up property next to Forest service and not allowing access through once they own their little piece of paradise. Worming their way into city or county government making it just like where they came from. Do I sound Bitter? Maybe I am a bit, I think my favorite bumper sticker says "Welcome to Montana! (Now go Home)

Really we want people to come and enjoy it like we do but don't change it, that's what makes this place so great. And like you said in an earlier post leave it better than you found it, don't drop trash pick up what you do see, trash begets trash.

Okay......I will now depart my soap box, Sorry. I just really do love where I live and am grateful for the free spaces we are allowed to explore hence the pics that I try to share. Not trying to make anyone envious on purpose just wish I could share with others. Look forward to reading more post of how everyone else trail rides. FF

WOW did I just whine like that in my posting voice? Sorry All, I really do love where I live

Last edited by Freedomflyer; 01-11-2017 at 10:27 PM.
post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 09:15 AM

freedomflyer, I firmly agree with you, all the city folks move from the populated area's to rural places even here, and then complain about things NOT being like they are in the city, complain about wildlife eating plants they plant, and wanting the state to remove the wildlife from the area?
or not enough stores or bad roads or???
and then bring all there city's way's to our rural life, and they have more money than most locals, to get THERE WAY too, which sucks

I always tell them if you don't like wildlife, don't move into the woods, as that is where wildlife lives, don't blame the animals for living there and trying to survive!!

second big problem here is, farm land, and the HUGE loss of it
older generations of farmers here that killed themselves to have a farm and save the land from being developed, as they loved and cherished the land and wanted it to remain the same forever
well there kids, don't feel the same, MOST run from the farm life and well as soon as parents die, property gets sold for housing developments as its worth more and fast easy cash for the kids
BUT that farm land is NEVER every returned to the system again, once developed, its gone forever
in the past 30 yrs in PA< we lost over 50% of ALL farms in the state and more every day

and people cannot grasp the correlation between all the pavement now as to what was once green growing land , and life
and now all the flooding and tempo change and poor air quality
as all that land and growing plants and tree's all used to suck up water, make cleaner air and cooled air.

yet so many folks don't see the writing on the wall, and just keep taking nature out of the world

were headed in a BAD direction if you ask me ,
and I am sure glad I grew up when I did!
Freedomflyer and ian_mb like this.
post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 10:12 PM

I will agree with that, the same thing is happening in our valley, in fact I grew up next to some Dutch neighbors, the kids were 3rd Generation farmers. The grandparents and parents directly from Holland. Both of the boys that I grew up with married girls who's parents were farmers, had families One had 3 boys, the other a boy and a girl. All of the boys 4th generation wanted nothing to do with farming, my friends are still farming but it's going to end with them, their kids will probably do the same thing and sell of the property that their parents have been working their whole lives. The Grand Parents started with an 80 acre farm and the kids now own over 5000 acres. The kids will sell it off and make more money than their parents did working their entire life. Very sad, yes we are heading in a bad direction, and the rich black topsoil in this valley is being covered by homes and businesses.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode