Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

ATV General Discussion General Discussions about Honda ATVs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2013, 01:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member #33902
View hammer0630's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 6 times
Is a 04 650 Rincon subject to ES probs?

I was reading a post about some of the Honda Quads having problems with the ES shifter. I'm not familiar with the whole Honda line of quads and their transmissions but my 04 Rincon has ES shift buttons on the left handlebar and a metal shift lever for reverse, neutral and forward and can be manually shifted or put into automatic. Also does my quad have a angle sensor? Thanks!!

Last edited by hammer0630; 12-01-2013 at 04:51 PM.
hammer0630 is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 12-01-2013, 01:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member #7607
View Manny's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 5 times
All honda Electric shift models have an angle sensor.

As for your 2004 being problematic. In short -> NO < -

As long as you keep your ES model out of the ponds and rivers, and keep up on periodic maintenance, as well as fixing issues that may arise right away. You should have years of trouble free service.

I have a rancher 350 ES in the fleet that just turned 11,700 miles, and the ES has been working flawlessly.
Old 12-01-2013, 01:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member #33902
Does your Rancher also only have 3 gears? Trying to find out more about Honda's line up. Never knew it had a angle sensor. I have had my Rincon in a few situations that it was almost on it's side a few times and it never quit running. Thanks.

Last edited by hammer0630; 12-01-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 01:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member #7607
View Manny's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 5 times
No, this rancher has a 5 speed transmission. Pretty standard (like most of the other honda's)

Its not automatic, just 5 speed with reverse.

They produced them from 2000-2003. In 2004 they came out with a new look for the rancher 350, same engine and running gear, just different cosmetics.
Old 12-01-2013, 03:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #16201
View kentco's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 343 times
Sir, the Rincon does not have a shift motor. But, even if it did, it would still NOT be inclined to have problems (just as Manny indicated).
Eight times as many ES shifted Honda units are sold for every one footshift. Thus, one would expect to see eight times as many problems with ES as with footshift. (If there were/are eight times as many problems with ES reported for every one footshift problem reported, that would mean that they are EQUAL in reliability. However, it is a fact that the ratio is much lower (maybe 3 or 4 ES issues reported for every Footshift issue reported.). Doing the math, that says ES is more reliable and troublefree than footshift. However, when people see that there are even twice as many ES issues reported, they instantly assume that ES has twice as many problems.

If there was a forum about Pickup Trucks, then you would see more issues with Ford than with any other truck. Does that mean Ford is more problematic? Absolutely not. And that's because there are a lot more Fords on the road than there are of many other trucks.

As Manny said, the vast majority of ES issues come from people who have used their ES Honda in a way that Honda recommended against - such as in deep water.
Honda has made the ES shifting for around 13 years now. If it was problematic, they would have either discontinued it, or changed it - and they have done neither. When you read post from people who speak down on ES machines, you're reading post from people who assume that because they have seen twice as many issues with ES, that ES must be bad. Again, if you saw eight times as many issues with ES as with footshift, then it would be an indicator that the two are equal. ONLY if you saw 9 or more ES issues, for every one Footshift issue could you honestly assume that Footshift was/is better.

Hammer....on another note, yes, the Rincon only has 3 gears. However, it has a stronger engine. I have both a Rincon and a Rancher and either can go wherever the other can go. So, what is the difference. The big difference is weight (the Rincon weighs more). Therefore, I use the Rincon to plow with and to do heavier work with. The Rincon is also an excellent trail, and all-terrain machine. It really depends on what you are looking for and how you're going to use the machine. As I say, each machine will easily keep up with the other.
Hope that helps.

USFS Motorized Trail Maintenance Volunteer
Underwater Videographer
*2011 Rancher 420AT
*2012 Rincon 680

HONDA SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOADS: http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums...all-years.html
**When you go to the above link, scroll down and select the Honda ATV model that you are interested in. Then, the password to download the service manual is: hondaatvforums
kentco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 03:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
jdp

Member #16593
View jdp's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 17 times
Ditto, all in what ya want. I can go almost anywhere with my 300 2wd that grandpa can go on his 4wd 300 but the only thing stopping me is ice and clay mud, and steep hills but we dont have steeps on out land, most are about 35* on our property. But I use mine more than grandpa's, I'll have to chain up soon cause of ice and deep snow.

1993 Honda 300
Superwinch Terra 35/synthetic rope
AMS Swampfox front 23x8x11, GBC dirt devils 25x12x9 rear
"Go prepared even if you think you don't need it".
330 CCA Diehard battery in rear storage box.
KFI winch mount
jdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member #27661
View mac102004's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 110 times
Rincon's do NOT have an angle sensor, it does not share any components with any of the other models with ES, except the handle bar buttons. Therefore it's not plagued with all the issues of the other ES models either.

ES models are prone to failure. It's a fact, some people have a hard time swallowing their Honda pride and admitting it. But ES is a garbage system, and I would never buy one. Footshifts have no issues with the shift mechanism, unless of course you break you ankle. So if Honda sells 10 footshifts, and 80 ES models, and there is ZERO problems with the foot shifts, and ONE with the ES then they are less reliable, period.

The angle sensor isn't literally an angle sensor that shuts the motor off. But all the EFI Honda's do have a "bank angle sensor" that will shut the engine off if it goes over 70 degrees I think it is. I've had a 500 Foreman EFI shut down on me before. Your 650 wouldn't have one, but the 2006+ 680's do.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member #33902
Thanks for the info Mac!
Old 12-02-2013, 11:53 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member #22443
View RobK's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 1 times
I love the ES on my Rancher and Forman. However they are not like the Rincon. The Rincon has an automotive style 3 speed automatic transmission with a torque converter, etc. Shifting it manually with the ES buttons would be analagous to shifting your automatic car with the floor shifter. The Rancher, Foreman, and (I believe) Recon ES models have a 5 speed manual style transmission that has an added electric motor to do the shifting for you. It's really a very simple design and it works very well. However it can be subject to some electronic gremlins with the angle sensor or control unit. Bad connections can make it act wacky.
RobK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:26 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member #20496
View Toytec's Photo Gallery(0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac102004 View Post
Rincon's do NOT have an angle sensor, it does not share any components with any of the other models with ES, except the handle bar buttons. Therefore it's not plagued with all the issues of the other ES models either.

ES models are prone to failure. It's a fact, some people have a hard time swallowing their Honda pride and admitting it. But ES is a garbage system, and I would never buy one. Footshifts have no issues with the shift mechanism, unless of course you break you ankle. So if Honda sells 10 footshifts, and 80 ES models, and there is ZERO problems with the foot shifts, and ONE with the ES then they are less reliable, period.

The angle sensor isn't literally an angle sensor that shuts the motor off. But all the EFI Honda's do have a "bank angle sensor" that will shut the engine off if it goes over 70 degrees I think it is. I've had a 500 Foreman EFI shut down on me before. Your 650 wouldn't have one, but the 2006+ 680's do.
The ES systems are not prone to failure any more than foot shift quads are.
Why does everyone who doesn't have this have to post they are problematic when they (You) have had no personal experience with the ES?

2006 Foreman 500
ITP SS108 wheels with 27" Kenda Bearclaw Tires
2" lift
Superwinch 3500 Terra
60" Warn Provantage plow when needed!
15" LED light bar!
3 light HID upgrade

Last edited by Toytec; 12-08-2013 at 08:30 PM.
Toytec is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

Search tags for this page

04 foreman 350 es to foot

2003 rincon 650 control unit at problems

do honda rincons only have 3 gears

honda rincon is garbage

rincon 650 angle shift motor

shift honda rincon with foot?

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.