Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

ATV General Discussion General Discussions about Honda ATVs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2013, 12:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member #15189
View lighthouse6's Photo Gallery(0)
2014 Honda Pioneer

I just bought a new Honda Pioneer and went riding the other day and some guy pulled up in a Kawasaki Trex. I wasn't standing by my Pioneer and he did not know I owned it and he was looking at it and said he didn't like it because he read a bunch of bad reviews about it. I don't know where he would have read these reviews as the thing has only been for sell for a couple of weeks now. I was just wondering if there are in fact some bad reviews about it. Does anybody know? The only thing I don't like about it so far is the fact that I can't change the gears myself when I want them to change like on my Rincon. Anybody else have any reviews about it. I have the 700-4 with rear seats.
lighthouse6 is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 10-27-2013, 01:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member #23685
View a_tack's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 1 times
2014 Honda Pioneer

I have been researching the pioneer a lot lately as I intend to buy a SxS in the spring and sell my foreman. The only bad reviews I have found have been written by Polaris, Kawasaki, and can am power junkies who complain that it bogs down in thick mud and with oversized tires. People using them for their intended purposes and not wanting to mod them into a mud machine seem to love them. Considering that the MSRP of a 700-4 is about $6-10k cheaper than a 4-seater from pretty much any other brand, for trail riding I see the pioneer 700-4 as a great choice. Especially if you have kids (like me). I've driven a big red and been in/around big bore machines from other brands. I just can't see paying the extra $$$ for some power, unless I planned on modding it like crazy. You could buy a 700-4, roof, winch, windshield, and 6x12 trailer for less than a new Teryx-4 LE. That being said, a 700-4 and a T4 (for the right price) are the two I have narrowed my search to.

Last edited by a_tack; 10-27-2013 at 02:18 PM.
a_tack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 02:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member #34091
View beefsupreme's Photo Gallery(0)
I have a 2012 Kawasaki T4, and I really think it boils down to personal preference. The pioneer looks better if you intend to do more work related stuff. The T4 does have a smaller bed, but it still tows 1500 pounds, and the bed doesn't go away when all 4 seats are in use. The T4 is more of a crossover- it isn't as sporty as a Rzr or Can Am, but isn't as utility as a ranger or big red. With 55HP, you can still go to the dunes or trail ride stock.
I looked at all brands for months before my purchase, and the high performance brands weren't as reliable as the Japanese brands, and only the T4 was a true 4 seater. We love the T4, and if you can find a leftover 12 or 13, then price won't be as big of an issue.
2003 XR100R
1999 XR70R
2003 Kawasaki KDX50
beefsupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member #36261
View PioneerDuner1's Photo Gallery(0)
The Pioneer is a workhorse like the Ranger and Mule, and the price is definitely preferable to most alternatives. Downside is there are almost no aftermarket parts other than the ones Honda makes.
PioneerDuner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member #25972
View 72Stage1's Photo Gallery(0)
pioneer owners that have tried them at high elevation (10,000 ft.) complain about them just not having any power, and the lack of low range magnifies the problem. They are only about 36 hp (at sea level), and you lose about 3.5% per 1,000 ft.
I know the 25" tires look small on them, but as high as they are geared, taller tires are not the best plan.
72Stage1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

Search tags for this page
honda pioneer 700 forum
honda pioneer 700 forums
honda pioneer 700-4 review
honda pioneer 700-4 reviews

honda pioneer forum

honda pioneer forums
honda pioneer mods
honda pioneer mudding
honda pioneer performance mods
honda pioneer review
honda pioneer reviews
hondapioneerforum
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.