Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

ATV General Discussion General Discussions about Honda ATVs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2010, 10:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member #1592
View Northshore's Photo Gallery(0)
Full Time 4x4

I might be buying a 1997 Honda Forman 400 full time four wheel drive in a week or so. What are the pro's and con's to having a full time four wheel drive over one that can be taken in and out of four wheel drive? Also can this machine be driven on hard surface's like flat rocks, pavement, etc? I know my 4x4 truck should not be driven on pavement when it is in four wheel drive. Thank you to all who help me out. Northshore.
Northshore is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 04-22-2010, 08:02 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member #2063
View Fourtrax's Photo Gallery(0)
I'm not sure about the Foremans but turning radius may be not as tight on a full time unit. Other than that I can't think of any draw back really. Its okay to drive them on hard surfaces just maintain the correct size/ratio on the tires. For instance on the 300's the back tires are an inch taller than the front. You can go up and down in size but you have to maintain that ratio.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:03 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member #2775
View GrayWolf's Photo Gallery(0)
You shouldn't have any problems on paved roads with the full time FWD. My '95 TRX300 is full time FWD and it's been on pavement countless times.

Different tires make a difference on pavement as some act more squirrly than others. Son-in-Law had huge Mud Bugs on his Foreman 450 that were awsome off road but absoutely horrible on pavement. There are radial tires available that handle perfectly on pavement if you do a lot of that type of riding.

Selectable TWD or FWD is a nice option but you can also convert your FWD machine to do either. Prior to the manufacturers offering it as an option, Warn made a part that you bolt on to allow that option.

Shortly after I bought my wife a '04 Rancher with the selectable 2 wheel/4 wheel option I found out how much better it handled when in TWD than my '02Forman Rubicon with full time FWD. Two daughters, son and I all bought the '02 Rubicon's (couldn't pass up the deal) so I installed the Warn on all 4. Haven't had a single problem on any of them in the 6 years since.

I read that Warn discontinued making the item but you can still find them on ebay or other such places. I don't know if they are still available from Warn but you might do some searching around if you think it is something you could use. I can't think of what the correct name Warn used for the part but I can it for you if want it.
GrayWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #618
View Redracer's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 1 times
The only time you really don't want to use 4 wheel drive on pavement is if you have locked diffs. The steering will feel a bit heavier on a full time 4x4.
LoneStar Racing
Leatt
Fox Shox
HondaATVForums.NET
Redracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:17 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member #2775
View GrayWolf's Photo Gallery(0)
Northshore, I found the Warn boxes. It's called the "Warn 424 Select" front drive disconnect.
GrayWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:54 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member #1592
View Northshore's Photo Gallery(0)
Thanks for all the great info everybody, it really helps me out alot. Northshore.
Northshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
View Helmut's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 10 times
Yeah, the full time 4X4 just don't drive hardly as good, but you'll get used to it after you ride it a little. Yeah, the Warn 4-2-4 Select was discontinued, but you can find them on Ebay sometimes.

Other than that, the 400 Foreman is a great 4-wheeler.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 02:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member #1381
View ddrumman2004's Photo Gallery(0)
By far, a Warn 424 is the best mod one could make to a full time 4wd machine.

I installed one on a 05 Rancher 350 that I used to own and hardly ever put it in 4wd afterwards! Just more fun and easier to steer plus able to power slide the rear end around in spirited driving.

It's a shame Warn has discontinued the device.

While in 4wd, my Rancher was kind of unsettling at high speeds on pavement. 2wd made all the difference.
ddrumman2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 03:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
View Helmut's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 10 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrumman2004 View Post

I installed one on a 05 Rancher 350 that I used to own and hardly ever put it in 4wd afterwards! Just more fun and easier to steer plus able to power slide the rear end around in spirited driving.

While in 4wd, my Rancher was kind of unsettling at high speeds on pavement. 2wd made all the difference.
Yeah, I don't know why Warn discontinued the 4-2-4. I know all the newer ATVs have the push button 4wd or "on command" system, but there's still tons and tons of people looking for the 4-2-4. Wonder why someone else don't start making them or something that works similar anyway?

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 03:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member #1660
View submarine 300's Photo Gallery(0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrumman2004 View Post

Yeah, I don't know why Warn discontinued the 4-2-4. I know all the newer ATVs have the push button 4wd or "on command" system, but there's still tons and tons of people looking for the 4-2-4. Wonder why someone else don't start making them or something that works similar anyway?
you make them and I will sell them.
U.S. Army S.O.F. Sniper (Don't run you'll only die tired!)
submarine 300 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

Search tags for this page
1997 450 honda 4 wheel drive atv

2000 honda atv full time 4 wheel drive

2000 honda foreman 450 es full time four wheel drive

does the honda rubicon 2002 have full time 4 wheel drive

honda 400 full time 4x4

honda foreman full time four wheel drive problems

honda foreman fulltime 4x4

how to get a 1999 honda four wheeler 4?4 out of 4 wheel drive

is a 2000 honda foreman all time 4x4

part for takeing honda four wheeler in & out of four wheel drive

steering with full time 4 wheel drive honda foreman

what i need to make a 97 foreman full time 4x4 to part time 4x4

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.