Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

ATV General Discussion General Discussions about Honda ATVs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2012, 01:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member #19127
View JAYUK's Photo Gallery(0)
Polaris 330 Magnum

Okay first off, please forgive me for my sin's on even writing Polaris on this forum

My dad has a Magnum 330, not certain on the year was believed to be a 2003 BUT after stripping the carb down found the jet to be the same size as a factory 2005 not the same size a as a 2003.

The problem is that when warm it struggles to re-start if it dies and if left at idle sped it does die after a minute or so. The other problem is its now backfiring if you pick the revs up and give it some throttle.

We have stripped the carb a few times now, tried various setting on the needle clip, main adjustment screw, float heights, and idle speeds.

Another issue is once the revs are up past 3000rpm and you let off it does not want to come back down, it does eventually lower but only after 5-10 secs.

It is running mega rich, black'ish smoke from over fuelling. This is why it wont start after it dies when hot, if you leave it 5 mins its fires back up again but hezitantly. We have tried to lean it out with the main jet screw and the needle clip but still having the same issue.

Can any one shed any light on what could be causing this, the last thing we can think of is the timing so tomorrow we are going to have a look at the stator plate and timing marks.

Jason
JAYUK is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 10-20-2012, 09:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
jdp

Member #16593
View jdp's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 14 times
reply to post

First your sins are forgiven friend My names JD and welcome sir , after reading your fourm over with a fine tooth comb it sounds to me like that someone just pieced your 4 wheeler together beforwe you got it, and the runaway in the diesel world, that happens, it's like the throttles stuck and as for all you other problems, I'm 99.9% sure you have the wrong carb or the wrong jets, Tell ya what I'll look and snoop around try to find ya a carb then when I know where it is and how much it is I'll message ya on here, How Bout that What year is it again sir?

1993 Honda 300
Superwinch Terra 35/synthetic rope
AMS Swampfox front 23x8x11, GBC dirt devils 25x12x9 rear
"Go prepared even if you think you don't need it".
330 CCA Diehard battery in rear storage box.
KFI winch mount
jdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
jdp

Member #16593
reply to post

Hey Jason just found your carb, its on ebay, it's polaris magnum 330 2x4 carb carburetor, and they want $179.99 nd the offer ends in 24 days, 14 hours, 6 mins from right now.

1993 Honda 300
KFI winch mount
Old 10-20-2012, 11:23 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member #19127
Hi jdp, it is not a Diesle dude. Also it is definantly the right card and the right size jets. We have a workshop manual for it and it all checks out, the sizes of the jets are indictive of the 2004-2005 magnums, the 2003 had different size jets and a few other little things. We got it to run okay and rev right up without any backfiring, that was because the intake boot between the airbox and carb had a bad split in it. However it still runs really REALLY rich at idle and once its died it will not restart util it dries up or you take the plug out, clean it and then it will fire up.

We are thinking of just putting a real carb on it from a honda, where will I find the inlet and outlet sizes of various Honda Carbs? Mine from my 86 trx 350 4x4 looks a good bet just like rocking horse poo to get hold of as are most of the parts for it.

Jay
Old 10-20-2012, 11:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
jdp

Member #16593
reply to message

Jay it's jdp, Im sorry if I upset ya, I was only saying in the diesel world where the rpms dont come down thats what runaway is. I was just tryin to help ya find what ya need buddie, For you intake boots I'd go to your honda parts stroe and see if you could match somethin up, the 300 fourtrax carb might be to small, and the one for the 350 rancher is a little bigger than the 300, yours is a 330 magnum right? You'll have to get another throttle cable and choke cable but I dont see why it wouldnt work I hope ya have good luck Friend God Bless

1993 Honda 300
KFI winch mount
Old 10-21-2012, 03:38 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member #19127
Hey dude, you didnt upset me man I was just confused with the diesle runaway comment, polaris made the same model of this quad in a diesle so I thought you got your wires crossed as to which my dad has.

Mine is a Honda 350 trx 86 so that carb should be plenty big enough for a 330 magnum? If anything abit oversized so would need smaller jets putting in and some fine tuning?? The biggest issue I have got is finding a carb off another quad preferably a Honda that will fit the intake boot on the polaris, luckily its not a flange fit type where it bolts directly onto the cylinder head.

I will keep an eye out for a 350 trx carb of similar, would rather it not be vacume controlled like the original polaris one.

Jay
Old 10-21-2012, 05:48 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #417
View TRX2fiveO's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 50 times
your float is set too high, the air fuel ratio is off the needle should be in the middle
07 Suzuki LTZ250 (Sons)
00 TRX350TM 4X2 (Resale bike)
01 TRX250EX (TLC Needed)
74' CB360 (future FrankenQuad)
Work in progress

JETTING

MOOSE_WAGON_makeover

2000_Rancher_build
TRX2fiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member #19127
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRX2fiveO View Post
your float is set too high, the air fuel ratio is off the needle should be in the middle
Hi thanks for the suggestion, can you elaborate a little more, I did not think the floats had any relation to the needle height.

Jay
Old 10-21-2012, 01:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #417
View TRX2fiveO's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 50 times
no they don't but too much fuel will overflow into the throat of the carb if the adjustment is off causing a rich state and in some cases out of the overflow. the floats are actually attatched to the carb bowl but the float needle arm is brass and adjustable if you need a manual I may have one on my other computer? what year is it or look under the seat on the crossbrace there will be some numbers . . . what are they?
07 Suzuki LTZ250 (Sons)
00 TRX350TM 4X2 (Resale bike)
01 TRX250EX (TLC Needed)
74' CB360 (future FrankenQuad)
Work in progress

JETTING

MOOSE_WAGON_makeover

2000_Rancher_build
TRX2fiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member #11269
View Dan G's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 5 times
x2 on what moose said, stick with the carb you have, the problem is pretty simple to fix once you get everything adjusted properly and your float level set you'll be good as new. Swapping carbs from one brand to another creates a whole 'nother nest of problems with jetting and tuning...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

Search tags for this page

2003 polaris magnum 330 problems

hard starting polaris 330
how do you remove a stator on a 330 polaris magnum
how to check a stator on a 2003 polaris 330 magnum
polaris 330 magnum fast idle
polaris 330 magnum reviews

polaris magnum 330

polaris magnum 330 will not stay running

timing a polaris magnum 330

what year did the polaris 330 magnum come uot
what year is my polaris magnum
why does my polaris magnum 330 say check engine
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.