Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

ATV General Discussion General Discussions about Honda ATVs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2010, 04:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member #2168
View Toddt's Photo Gallery(0)
Help with gear shifting problems

I have a 2005 Honda Rancher 4X4 350. It has the manual shifting only and the gears seem really tight or difficult to change. I have tried to adjust the clutch but it didn't seem to help. Can anyone offer advice? Thanks.
Toddt is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 02-27-2010, 06:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
View shadetree's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 35 times
adjusting the clutch only takes the free play out of the clutch disk..it will not let the bike change gears easier...if your having issues with the gears not changing easy..sounds like a tranny issue..or something is binding up your shift arm..shift arm wheel..or maybe both..you could have a broken return spring also..< this makes the shift arm move easier >....sounds like 1...you need a repair manual...2..your gonna have to tear into it to see why it's hanging up so bad..good luck..keep us posted !
shadetree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member #5906
View jrentenaar's Photo Gallery(0)
are you sure you did the clutch adjustment right?if you turn the screw the wrong way your clutch will not open up all the way,the best way to tell if you are adjusting it the write way is to turn the adjusting screw in one way a few turns ,then lift up your shift lever a little bit,you will notice that when you turn the adjusting screw in you will increase the slack on the shift lever,turn the screw the other way the slack will decrease.you want to decrease the slack on the shift lever,turn the adjuster counter clockwise until it stops then back it off 1\8 turn and tighten the lock nut.
jrentenaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 02:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Member #5835
View peter666's Photo Gallery(0)
Roll the quad forward and back when shifting gears, while the engine is not running.
The transmission gears will not mesh properly unless the quad is moving, or the engine is running.
peter666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:40 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member #1381
View ddrumman2004's Photo Gallery(0)
For what it's worth, the 05 Rancher I used to own did the same thing but only while the engine/transmission was "cool". I say this because after it warmed up, if shifted fine. Seemed like it only did this after it sat for any length of time.

Also, my son's 09 Recon does the same thing but is getting better the more he rides it.
ddrumman2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 06:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member #3442
View rancher11's Photo Gallery(0)
you got oil in there made for wet clutches? i had a 97 forman, standard, sometimes she would get hung up with the wrong oil.

Teddy Roosevelt once said "if you live in america learn to speak english and be american"
rancher11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 02:21 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member #9976
View honda rider 14's Photo Gallery(0)
I have a 2007 honda rancher trx420 fe the other day I was riding it with no problems when I stopped and put it in reverse I backed up and shifted into into 1st gear went about 15 feet shifted into 2nd gear the fourwheeler wouldnt move I couldnt up or downshift it has electric shift I tried using
The manual shift tool I could not get it to shift at all unsure what happen any help would be great thanks in advance.
honda rider 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 03:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member #9040
View jfish's Photo Gallery(0)
For whats it's worth many folks say that switching to synthetic oil (for cycles) can help. A friend's 04-05 350 Rancher has been hard to shift since new. He recently switched to synthetic and reports it now shifts pretty smooth..
jfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 04:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #8365
View Deeperinthabush's Photo Gallery(0)
I'd check to make certain I was using a wet clutch spec'd engine oil as it could be causing the clutch to act up if it isn't wet clutch spec'd oil..GN-4 only in these engines people...
FREE REPAIR MANUALS >>http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums...all-years.html 1986-1992 trx350 parts for sale>>http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums/atv-parts-sale/29225-complete-part-out-1986-fourtrax-350-a.html
Deeperinthabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
View Helmut's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 4 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda rider 14 View Post
I have a 2007 honda rancher trx420 fe the other day I was riding it with no problems when I stopped and put it in reverse I backed up and shifted into into 1st gear went about 15 feet shifted into 2nd gear the fourwheeler wouldnt move I couldnt up or downshift it has electric shift I tried using
The manual shift tool I could not get it to shift at all unsure what happen any help would be great thanks in advance.
If you couldn't get it to shift with the manual shift tool, then you have a tranny problem or a shift linkage problem. More than likely, it's a shift linkage problem. I would pull the front crankcase cover and inspect the shift linkage and the shift motor reduction gears. If you don't have a service manual, go to the manuals/schematics section and you can download one.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

Search tags for this page

06 honda 350 rancher hard to get in second gear sometimes manuel shift

1999 honda atv shifting instructions
gears not shifting on quad troubleshoot

honda atv gear change issues

honda clutch issues hard to shift
honda rancher manual shift problems problems

my 350 rancher 4 wheeler doesnt shift smooth

problems with honda atv shifting

shifting assist for manual shift atv's

typical manual shift linkage problems honda
why has honda 300 four wheeler stoped shifting gears correctly
why honda rancher hangs up in gear
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.