Oil overheat warning light - Honda ATV Forum
ATV General Discussion General Discussions about Honda ATVs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 07:57 AM Thread Starter

Oil overheat warning light

I have a 2002 Foreman 450 ES Recently the oil overheat light keeps coming on. My friend had a similar atv and was told it was the sensor for the fan and not to worry about it. His motor went out. I am wondering if it could be the oil cooler or oil pump causing this and how to check for which one it would be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 5 times
Welcome to the site, that is a tough one. What kind of riding do you do? Are you into serious mud? Is it possible that your radiator is caked with mud causing the overheat light to come on? I'm just trying to start simpole and cheap.

Thank you to my 2012 Sponsors:
Dynamic Graphics, Inc.
Aurora Honda
LoneStar Racing
Leatt
Fox Shox
HondaATVForums.NET
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 08:15 AM

Look around the site for threads showing free downloads of service manuals. You might find one for your year. If you don't, go to tradebit.com and you can download a service manual likely for $5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 25 times
Yeah, it would be best if you had a manual. Make sure your fan is kicking on when it is hot enough. If it's not, I would check the thermal sensor, first. The manual is probably going to tell you to take it out and submerse it in hot motor oil at a certain temperature, while you check the resistance with an ohmmeter. Might be easier just to replace it with a new one, though. If that checks good, I would check the fan, itself.

I've never seen that problem with a Foreman, unless you are just overworking it and getting it hot, but usually you can let them cool down and they are fine. I have seen the fan quit working on a lot of the 350 Ranchers and it will melt the piston and rings. It seems to be a common problem with them.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode