Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

ATV General Discussion General Discussions about Honda ATVs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2012, 10:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member #16949
View award's Photo Gallery(0)
Rincon oils and synthetics

Thought I would start a new thread. Here is some info that I found. If anyone has any input please feel free to chime in.

What type of oil? - Honda Foreman Forums : Rubicon, Rincon, Rancher and Recon Forum

AMSOIL Formula 4-Stroke Power Sports 0W-40 Synthetic Motor Oil I like Amsoil in my Harley!

Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40

Wallyworld has the Rotella T6 synthetic also. Price is $21 gallon.
Coming soon: Executioners!
After all, a hole - is a hole - is a hole. Richard Burton "Where Eagles Dare".
award is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 04-04-2012, 11:40 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member #7607
View Manny's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 4 times
If you prefer amsoil, then by all means buy it! that is a very good quality, long lasting oil. i wouldn't blink an eye extending the oil change interval to 2 years. (with a proper good filtering filter and filter magnet of course)

Rotella T6 is JASO MA certified, so you don't need to worry about it harming your wet clutch.

My theory with the Rincon and Rubicon is. the transmissions are very complex, and are driven off of oil pressure. Using a "thick" oil will only cause the pump to work "harder" to get it through the entire power plant....i currently am running valvoline 10w40 synthetic atv oil in my rubicon. It still takes a while to get the motor fully warm before i take off.....in comparison, when i owned a '03 rincon. i used rotella T6 5w40. It would take about a minute and a half to get it warm enough to operate. just the 5w makes a HUGE difference in these pressure fed tranny's.

I would bet a 0w40 would work exceptionally well in your rincon, amsoil 0w40 is a good oil to keep in your bike year round. there's no need to change it when the seasons of the year change.....just my 2 cents worth.
Manny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member #8124
View Ballast's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 6 times
Use the Rotella T6 5W40 synthetic in all my toys. I don't really need to do a "warm up" other than 15 - 20 seconds. However I just putt around slowly for the first couple minutes, don't like beating a cold engine. Oil still looks clean at the end of the year.

Two 06 TRX250EXs.....Tusk nerf bars, swing arm skid plates
85 TRX125.... sadly sold

Haliburton ATV Association - come check out our 1000 miles of trails www.haliburtonatv.com
Ballast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member #17565
View badhabit_wb's Photo Gallery(0)
just started with the rotella t6. put it in my rincon and ranger at with eps. both shift much smoother and so far i like it a lot better than the gn4. time will tell but i keep my atv's in a heated garage so warm up isn't a problem with the honda oil.
badhabit_wb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member #16949
Rotella T6: 5W-40
Pour Point, C (ASTM D97) -45
Kinematic Viscosity (ASTM D445) 169.5 *The lower the better (less overall VII).
@ 100C mm2/s 14.2 *The higher the better.
@ 40C mm2/s 87 *The higher the better.
Flash Point, (COC), C (ASTM D92) 224

Amsoil Formula 4-Stroke 0w-40:
Pour Point C (F) (ASTM D-97) -51 ) -60F
Kinematic Viscosity @ 100C, cSt (ASTM D-445) 14.7
Kinematic Viscosity @ 40C, cSt (ASTM D-445) 83.7
Viscosity Index (ASTM D-2270) 184
CCS Viscosity, cP @ (-35C) (ASTM D-5293) 6139

Mobile 1 Motorcycle 10w-40:
Pour Point,C (ASTM D97) -45F
Kinematic Viscosity, cSt @ 100C (ASTM D445) 13.1
Kinematic Viscosity, cSt @ 40C (ASTM D445) 82.0
Viscosity Index 161

I now believe the Mobile 1 is the best choice (especially for the rincon and rubicon). I base this on the fact that there are less VII overall and less VII to break down in these quads. Probably the same for anything that uses engine oil in the tranny. I think the only way to really know what your oil viscosity is at ambient temperature is to run the oil in the quad for say 1,000 miles and then see if it is still the same weight. An oil rated at 10w40 will probably be a 10w30 at that point...depending on manufacturer. But, it has been documented that the mobile 1 is the only one (in the list) to stand the engine oil breakdown test.

Last edited by award; 04-19-2012 at 10:09 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #16201
View kentco's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 248 times
I use Mobil1 4T and love it. However, I have never heard anything bad about any of the synthetics which have been formulated for motorcycles and ATV's (with wet clutches). Most importantly, virtually everyone who uses synthetic oil in their cycles not only reports less frequent oil changes, but also report much smoother shifting, smoother and quieter transmission, and engine operation. Without a doubt, the extra cost of synthetic oil is definately justified. What synthetic you choose is up to you. Just make sure that if you put it into an ATV or motorcycle, that it is formulated for wet clutches.

USFS Motorized Trail Volunteer
Underwater Videographer
*2011 Rancher 420AT
*2011 Rincon 680

HONDA SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOADS: http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums...all-years.html
**When you go to the above link, scroll down and select the Honda ATV model that you are interested in. Then, the password to download the service manual is: hondaatvforums
kentco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member #16949
I wish I could find the kinematic viscosity of all three of these with an ambient temperature of 10F. That would be about 100F cooler than the 40C and it would tell me ALL the rest that I need to know. Anyone who lives in colder climates knows that cold and initial startup can be a killer on non-lubed parts since it takes a little bit longer for lube. 10w oil takes longer than 5w oil no matter what the temp. is and that would be one of the draws to the amsoil (0w), for me anyways. Seeing that otherwise the rotella and amsoil are about equal (at least they have the #'s to support the viscosity required) at varying operating temperatures. I wonder if mobile 1 has an oil for bikes/quads/wet clutches in the 0W.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member #7607
View Manny's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 4 times
I believe its the ZDDP levels are what you want to look into when considering winter climate...the zddp in a sense "sticks" to the internals when the lack of lubrication is there.

I believe the higher zddp level, the better cold start protection you are gonna get....but dont quote me on that.
Manny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:33 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member #16949
Manny, here is a great article if you are interested.

All About Motor Oil

Under "Making motorcylce oils" read the third and fourth paragraph. I knew this already but the info was on my old crappy desktop (good luck getting it to boot up in less than 5 minutes, ha!). So I found it in this article too.

Anyway, so the rotella 5w-40 T6 obviously uses a LOT more VII's(should be 8 times as much) and it is used in the engine/tranny which is really hard on oil. I bet these quads break them VII's down in no time. That 5w-40 rotella probably turns into 5w-30 in just a few hundred miles? and then of course the kinematic rating at operating temp will be less than 14.2 sooner too. Probably won't happen so quick in cars but these quads will make it happen. But, the main thought is what happens with the 0w-40 Amsoil? That should have even more VII's. Thoughts?

Here is a link to mobile 1 racing 4t and 20w-50 v-twin. the 20w-50 actually has a lower overall Viscosity Index (which is good) then the racing 4t. Plus it pour point is better than some of the thinner mobile 1 grades. I know, too thick for the rincon probably. http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub...ycle_Oils.aspx

Last edited by award; 04-19-2012 at 08:52 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #16201
View kentco's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 248 times
Award: You provided some great information. Thanks. I have my ATV (Rincon) in the mountains of Colorado and use it a great deal for plowing in the winter. I can honestly say that I can not tell the difference between the way my engine turns over (with Mobil1 4T) when it is below 0-F, vs when it is warm. Mobil1 does not make a 0w 4T oil. However, the 10 weight remains extremely fluid even when it is very cold. That (the cold) is definately an area where one will see a huge difference between petroleum oil and synthetic oil (both in vehicles and in motorsports engines). I have my preferences in synthetic oil, but, in all honesty, recommend synthetic in general; leaving the brand choice to the person purchasing it. One brand of synthetic that I'm not very familiar with is Valvoline. I've seen posts where some people are purchasing it at WalMart. Personally, I avoid WalMart at all costs (or savings), but that doesn't mean Valvoline syn is substandard. It probably is a very good synthetic. Your research in the syn's is impressive. Good work! And, thanks for sharing!

USFS Motorized Trail Volunteer
Underwater Videographer
*2011 Rancher 420AT
*2011 Rincon 680

HONDA SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOADS: http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums...all-years.html
**When you go to the above link, scroll down and select the Honda ATV model that you are interested in. Then, the password to download the service manual is: hondaatvforums
kentco is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

Search tags for this page

best oil for honda rincon

honda rincon 680 oil capacity
honda rincon engine oil

honda rincon oil

honda rincon oil capacity

honda rincon oil type

honda rincon synthetic oil
rincon oil
what kind of oil does a honda rincon take
what kind of oil goes in a honda rincon
what kind of synthetic oil do you use in a honda rincon
what type of oil for honda 680
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.