Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

ATV General Discussion General Discussions about Honda ATVs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2011, 08:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member #8144
View bobs330's Photo Gallery(0)
pros and cons, what size quad

i hope this will help some people who cant decide what size machine they want and pros/cons of each. i have a recon so ill put my opinion about it and you guys with other quads please share some knowledge about them.

Recon-pros-small, lightwieght, manuverable in tight spaces, good starter quad, geared tranny w opt ES, simple, reliable, recoil backup starter.

Cons- small engine sometimes is under powered, only comes in 2wd, had drum front brakes, no 12V socket, not an abundance of aftermarket stuff,
Superwinch Terra 25
Moose rear bumper
Fuse powersports trailer hitch

Last edited by bobs330; 04-28-2011 at 05:19 AM.
bobs330 is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 04-26-2011, 08:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member #8111
View Henry Anderson's Photo Gallery(0)
well i have a Honda Fourtrax 300fw (4x4) the first reason i picked this atv is because its a Honda so its reliable, simple, well build made to last, foot shift. its a lightweight 4wheeled drive that is over all good at everything you drive it in to.
In the future:
-424 locker
-front disk breaks
-ITP mudlights
-12in wheels (black)
Henry Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member #1697
View JBGill06's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 10 times
Send a message via AIM to JBGill06
Honda Rincon 680

Pros -Is a Honda; plenty of power for a 650-700cc class quad; all wheel independent suspension; fuel injection; front and rear disk brakes; push button 4wheel drive; smooth shifting 3speed manual ESP or fully automatic transmission; one of best handling utility ATV's; one of the lightest over 600cc utility ATV's

Cons - Not much on board storage; no low range gear selection; no front locking differential; non adjustable shocks; no reverse override; could use more top end
Viper Max 3500lb Winch
Kimpex Bumpers
Warn Skid Plates
Maier Handguards
ODI Rogue Grips
Maxxis Bighorn 2.0
ITP Mudlite XL

2014 HD Dyna Switchback
Vance&Hines Pro Pipe/Tuner/Intake

2010 GMC Sierra SLE Crew Cab 4x4

http://www.youtube.com/user/jbgill06
JBGill06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member #8254
View stu5969's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 12 times
Honda Rancher 420FE

Pros: A very versatile all around 4x4, small enough to be more nimble than the big-bore quads, with good bottom end torque for work, and trail riding, with decent top speed for this type of machine. Acceptable fuel mileage in the 20's, SRA axle is a pro to me, just personal preference, less to break and better stability, and better for towing. Suspension does an ok job for a quad in this class and price range, and I think it has a great stock exhaust sound to it, quiet, but throaty sounding. I prefer the lever 4wd engagement over a push button 4wd, cable operated vs. servo motor=more dependable, and its very smooth to shift it in and out. ES has worked good, although no low range, 1st gear is plenty low, and 2nd gear is useable also in slow going. Dependability has been perfect so far with 1400 miles now, and over 300hrs. All in all, I give it a B rating,lol.

Cons: We all know about no locker so that's a no brainer there. The steering radius is too wide, and the front end tends to push in 4wd, and it gets twitchy at speed in 4wd. COG could be lower, as well as being a couple inches longer in wheelbase would help this machine's high speed handing also. Shocks need at least some preload adjustments, although they work well. No recoil backup is a big con on this machine, picture having a dead battery in the middle of nowhere, and no hill in sight to pop start, and I'm not even sure if you could pop start one of these,(ES model anyway) seeing that you have to be in neutral to start is,,,another con. Reverse procedure is a little ridiculous, but can be remedied as we all know. No 12v acc. standard on the machine, should be included as well as the recoil. Headlights have to be the dimmest lights I have ever had on an atv, I gotta get some aftermarket lights for it. The brakes, front and rear could be better, they are kind of wooden feeling, and weak. It's a good thing it's not a cvt machine with the weak brakes.
All that being said, all machines have their good and bad points, but the good outweigh the bad on the Rancher. A good recommended mid-size quad.
05 Suzuki DR650, Mikuni TM40 flatslide pumper carb,JE 10.5:1 piston,stage 2#190 Webcam,open airbox, Twin Air,full FMF system,Pingel fuel valve,Ricor Racing rear shock, Ricor Racing fork Intiminators, Progressive springs, Sargeant seat,DRZ250 tailight,custom plate,LED's,GPS,sumo fender,PT bars,Cycra brushguards IMS lowered pegs, aluminum skid,bearing chain roller,Pirelli,tank bag(gone)

06 Zuk KQ700, Kenda Bearclaw HTR radials Warn RT25 w/ syn. line, 1.5mm clutch shims
stu5969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:50 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member #5283
View DAN400ex's Photo Gallery(0)
Trx400ex

Pro’s
Plenty of usable power, they are built like a tank and very hard to kill, great trail bikes, good brake system, there are one of the most popular quads on the market and have a ton of aftermarket mods. Great turning radius.

Con’s
Its not to much of a race quad anymore now that the 450’s have taken over the show (would require a lot of modification), suspension could be better (especially if your a track rider), not much of a beginner quad but can be with good instruction and some common sense, Thats all I can think of off the top of my head. Can’t really complain about it.

42 pilot jet
Stage 2 Dynojet kit
K&N Powerlid
Lexx MXe slip on
Armadillo full body and swing arm skid plates.
450r front suspension

Dan in VA

DAN400ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:25 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member #10033
View roanokejim's Photo Gallery(0)
Cons

Its hard to deal with it when there is a problem.
roanokejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member #8144
View bobs330's Photo Gallery(0)
anybody got anything for a foreman and 300ex? or a rubicon. some of the older years too if possible
Superwinch Terra 25
Moose rear bumper
Fuse powersports trailer hitch
bobs330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member #4851
View 250xRipper's Photo Gallery(0)
1987 trx250x

Pros: Easy to ride, very comfortable, very torquey, compact for trails but still stable enough for high speeds, decent aftermarket, very budget friendly sport machines.

Cons: Occasionally underpowered, no electric start which can really suck after 6 hours of riding, definitly not the prettiest quads around, and the suspension is somewhat lacking when compared to most of the newer machines

Bottom line: Awesome for a novice rider or a weekend warrior, with a few upgrades they'll hang with just about anything else in the woods
Yoshimura RS-3
UNI Air Filter
Pro Grip Evo Grips
Quick Release Plastics (my design)

Born in the wild, Raised in a cave
Ridin spinnin bulls is all i crave
Daddy was hung as a horse theif, and momma was burned as a witch
I got 14 sisters who work in a whore house... and me
Im a bull ridin son of a bitch
250xRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:18 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member #7607
View Manny's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 4 times
1998 honda foreman 400
pro's: lightweight, maneuverability, big racks for storage, good grunt power for pulling, low center of gravity for steep hills and sidehilling. reliability 11,000 miles on her and still no problems
con's: no selectable 2wd to 4wd. Not much ground clearance (not a real deal breaker) low top speed, non adjustable shocks.

overall i'd give it a B

2003 honda rincon 650
pro's: lightweight compared to other big bores, very smooth comfortable ride, good ground clearance, stylish, stock aluminum rims, quiet.
con's: the transmission (3 speed, what a joke) front rack is too small, underpowered (my stock 500 polaris beats it), vibration, NO LOW RANGE.

i give this atv a C in my opinion, because it doesnt suit my needs, i keep it because its fun to play around on, but when it comes to serious work-pulling out elk and deer in steep rugged idaho mountains ill stick with my trusty old foreman. the 3 speed tranny (what was honda thinking????) if it had the same tranny as a rubicon this thing would be UNSTOPPABLE
Manny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:51 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member #8725
View DrunkenNinja736's Photo Gallery(0)
1996 300ex

Pro's - comfortable to ride all day long, light, good low end power, great for trails, decent amount of upgrades, parts are relatively cheap, some parts are interchangeable with the 400ex, and has electric start.
Cons - underpowered, doesn't have rod caps for easy replacement of rods and bearing in lower end.

Overall - great for beginners to start out on, can be upgraded to get somewhat rid of the underpowered issue, and I know I will never sell mine I'll always keep her even tho I'll get bigger and badder quads...
Hot Cams Stage 1 Camshaft.
11:1 Wiseco standard size piston
Quadboss CDI
DrunkenNinja736 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

Search tags for this page
atv cvt transmission pros and cons

atv pros and cons

atv with trax pro and con
honda 400ex 2007 pros and cons
honda atv sizes
honda fourtrax pros and cons

honda quad sizes

honda rincon pros and cons
pros and cons and 2014 atvs
pros and cons atv

pros and cons of atvs

sizes of honda quads
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.