Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

ATV General Discussion General Discussions about Honda ATVs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2011, 08:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
View shadetree's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 91 times
i can tell you for a fact..that you don't need a WD hitch for a utility trailer my5sons....if you get a long enough trailer..with double axle..you will be fine..i seen your truck..it can pull what ever your gonna set it up for..as for a trailer anyway..if you get the right length trailer...double axle..asuming your trailer will have elec brakes ???..you won't need a WD hitch..it's allllllll about distribiting your load. get a long enough trailer...double axle..elec brake controler..yu'll be fine. i've pulled a 29 ft travel trailer with my truck..now..mind you..i had the WD hitch for it..as a 1/2 ton pick up..trailer gross at 6000 lbs, with about 1k in the trailer..another 1k in the back of my truck..yeah..i needed the WD hitch !..lol..you on the other hand..do not need this kinda set up..a double axle trailer...as most are 3500 lbs axles..and all your gonna haul is a few atv's..nah...brake controler..long enough trailer..spare tire..saftey chains..this is all you need..if you load the atv's right..put the weight evenly on the trailer..yu'll be fine. only thing a WD hitch does is shift the tounge weight from your rear axle on your truck to the front..thus..keeping the front down for stearing..this is how a WD works...the bars that you see on the sides of the WD hitch..what they do is force the weight of the trailer and tounge of it to lift the rear of your axle up..and shift the weight to the front of your truck.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
i didn't notice..but does your truck have the trailer towing package ?..a reciever hitch for a 2'' reciever ball ?.if not..you will need this installed on your truck !!!..do not..i repeat..DO NOT PULL ANYTHING HEAVY WITH YOUR BUMPER !..yu've been warned !..lol..a frame mounted trailer hitch is a must have !..the reese's should do a great job for you..then you can just buy the insert 2'' x2'' sqaure tubbing...and a 2'' ball..then the rest of what i said.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:15 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member #7182
View my5sons's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 7 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetree View Post
i didn't notice..but does your truck have the trailer towing package ?..a reciever hitch for a 2'' reciever ball ?.if not..you will need this installed on your truck !!!..do not..i repeat..DO NOT PULL ANYTHING HEAVY WITH YOUR BUMPER !..yu've been warned !..lol..a frame mounted trailer hitch is a must have !..the reese's should do a great job for you..then you can just buy the insert 2'' x2'' sqaure tubbing...and a 2'' ball..then the rest of what i said.
Yeah, I think all Expeditions have the tow package from the factory. Bolted to the frame. I have a 2" ball on there now. I'ts rated at 600lbs tongue and 6000 towing without a WD hitch. That's actually what I used to pull the utility trailer that only fits 1 ATV with me. It's all I ever needed until I started this collection! These ATV's are no good to me though if I can't pull them to some trails..lol

>> Click Here to Download your Service/Repair Manual

1996 TRX300FW - ITP Mudlites Warn XT25 (Current Project)
2001 Suzuki LT A50
2003 TRX300EX
2006 Polaris Sportsman 90 - 2 inch lift
2006 TRX250EX - Maxxis Razrs
2007 Suzuki King Quad 700 4x4 - ITP Mudlite XL
2008 TRX450ER - No Lid, HRC Kit, 162 Main, 45 pilot, 55 leak jet

my5sons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
Quote:
Originally Posted by my5sons View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetree View Post
Yeah, I think all Expeditions have the tow package from the factory. Bolted to the frame. I have a 2" ball on there now. I'ts rated at 600lbs tongue and 6000 towing without a WD hitch. That's actually what I used to pull the utility trailer that only fits 1 ATV with me. It's all I ever needed until I started this collection! These ATV's are no good to me though if I can't pull them to some trails..lol
ok..try to get a trailer with elec brakes...get a elec brake controler..spare tire..and your good to go..you shouldn't have any trouble pulling a tandum axle with your ride...main thing is a elec brake controler..and elec brakes on the trailer...and it being long enough ! and you won't have any problems...unless you want me to paint the axles black ???..lmfaoooo.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:19 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member #8144
View bobs330's Photo Gallery(0)
on the weight distribution shadetree was talking about, the "technical" ration is 60/40, 60%on trailer, 40% on tow vehicle. even if you get just a basic trailer, the brakes are a good idea!
bobs330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:21 PM   #16 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
just try to even out the weight of the atv's on the trailer..if you get this done right..you can pull any trailer down the road with no problems at all. you want SOME weight on the ball, but you also don't want to over do it..if you put to much weight on the tongue..you then raise the weight off the front of your truck..which means you loose stearing control.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:23 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member #8144
WHEELIE!! ive done that with a truck at work, NOT SAFE.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:12 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member #2080
View ostrx250's Photo Gallery(0)
yea ever seen a bronco 2 towing a 14 ft or longer boat and the front tires are just bouncing along
ostrx250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:31 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member #4493
View jkhuntin's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 1 times
Wouldn't mind seeing it on youtube, but don't want to be out on the road and see it. One issue with the WD system that has not been discussed here is that you can actually take too much weight off the rear by moving it forward. This creates a light rearend problem which is just as dangerous. A couple of friends of mine and myself went to dega' many years ago towing an old Hi-Lo trailer. The trip home was an interesting one, none of us had ever dealt with a WD system before so we just tightend up the torsion bars and chains as tight as we could get them. First, big downhill run became a hair-raising experience, luckily no one got hurt. We did have to stop at the first gas station we came to to adjust the WD system and clean our drawers.
jkhuntin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:03 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member #8144
i wondered if that was possible but wasnt sure since never used one.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

Search tags for this page
24 foot enclosed trailer weight
24 foot trailer weight
24 ft enclosed trailer weight
24' enclosed gooseneck trailer empty weight

how much does a 22 foot travel trailer weigh

how much does a 24 foot enclosed trailer weigh

how much does a 24 foot trailer frame weigh

how much does a 24 foot travel trailer weigh

how much does a 24 ft enclosed trailer weigh
how much does a 24 ft travel trailer weigh
how much will a 24ft camper weigh
rp66074
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.