craftsman tools - Page 3 - Honda ATV Forum
Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Discussions > Around The Garage

Around The Garage Off-Topic conversations here!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2017, 03:38 AM   #21 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Member #32120
View fishfiles's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 748 times
Craftsman tools are not as good as they use to be , no doubt , but they are still the best bang for the buck ----------the warranty and ease of exchanging broken tools was great , but they have closed the store 3 miles from me and the second closest store to me announced they will close yesterday and the hand writing is on the wall that more stores will follow ----- Snap-On's quality also isn't as good as it use to be , what I really don't like about Snap-On is trying to get a warranty replacement , years ago they use to let you go to the distribution center in our area and swop them out , they don't allow walk ins any more and you have to deal with a route man , I am a mobile mechanic and if I stop a at a Snap-On truck and try to swop a broken tool they are not too happy about doing it , they want to send you to your local route man , because I have been told , they get nothing for swopping you out and it takes tools out of their inventory which may cost them a sale , if they swop out the inner workings of a ratchet then it cost them time which they get nothing for --------- I'll continue to buy Craftsman , Snap-On , Photo , Williams , Mac , Matco and other name brand tools at the Flea Market and garage sales ----------- a couple of years back I swopped from the 19.2 rechargeable Craftsman power tools to Ryobi , and I think they are the best thing going right now , the batteries last much longer in usage time and life of the battery and the tools are much stronger --------I remember the old Sears when I was a kid , they had everything , fishing poles , reels , guns and even outboard motors and boats made by name brand manufacturers and carried the name Ted Williams , the catalog was huge and you could get about anything you wanted ---- times are changing
jay10 likes this.
fishfiles is online now   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 01-08-2017, 09:31 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member #13351
View mrbb's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbb View Post
well craftsman tools might not be what they used to, I agree
but it used to be nice having a sear's store to go and get tools at, don't have any left near me, closest is about 70 miles away or more now
and other stores like Lowe's or home depot, SUCK with the selection they have and there prices!
Snap on tools might be great, but past my budget for what they are, there OVER priced
Craftsman might be lesser quality, but they can be had normally cheap if bough right!
I have both old sets and new sets, they work OK 99% of the time, they don't rust as fact as some other cheap one's do, so there coating is still decent LOL
I still have my snap on top box I bought when I was 20, I'm 63 now. The middle box I bought a couple of years later and the bottom box just after that. Top box has fell out of breakdown vans and rolled around lockers in wreckers many a time. But all are still going strong, along with the hand tools that haven't been lost.
In my eyes that's very good value for money, in fact, it makes snap on tools cheap long term.
I doubt the quality of snap on tools NOW is equal to what they made when you bought your, thus again, making them overpriced for what they are today, they ride on there name and quality of yrs back, as do many other company's that get away with the prices they charge

everything today seems to be made of lesser quality and made to almost FAIL in a certain amount of time, forcing your hand to buy more!
I personally think its designed into things today by OEM's

NO one, and I mean NO one, its honestly trying to make products that last forever, like they did 40 yrs back or so
back when a customers money meant something and loyalty came from word of mouth, and the rep of the product being strong and long lasting

it was also a time when they OVER built things, rather than spending a ton of testing to make JUST strong enough, to cut pennys , so they can make dollars

NOT saying a Snap on isn't a good tool, just IMO< there way over priced for what they are
I have seen some of there screw drivers at crazy prices, that I am positive I can buy a dozen other brand names and have one longer in time, or maybe a half of dozen down the road still working just as fine??

certain brands of all things get higher prices based on NAME alone, and quality of lesser names might be as good or BETTER to be honest!
cmanningjr likes this.
mrbb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 10:19 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member #47966
View rodp's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 39 times
You may be right, I haven't bought any hand tools off snap on for years. My son has quite a few and I do notice with items like screwdrivers the quality isn't the same. I have a full set of snap on screwdrivers about 30 years old, just plain black plastic handles. I still have the original set. he's got a set of the newer ones off snap on, all nice bright shiny colours, and they need replacing every now and then due to either cross heads wearing out or flat blades snapping.
At 63 I shan't be buying more hand tools, I have quite enough, I'm just glad I bought all mine when quality was something to be proud of.
rodp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2017, 11:29 AM   #24 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
View shadetree's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 1388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alloutdoors View Post
I certainly hope craftsman tools stay around nice quality for the price. I plan to try Kobalt with a Lowes very close to my house.
the kolbalt mechanic set I bought from lowes awhile back ?, I must say, I am very impressed with it !. the warranty on it out shines craftsman hands down !. heck, even if you loose a tool from the set ?, they will replace it at no cost ?..THEY EVEN HAVE A RUST WARRANTY ?!..craftsman does not even give you that in the warranty ?!!!!. I remember back in the day, if a craftsman tool, such as a ratchet broke ?, you walked in, handed them the broken tool, they would tell you go pick out another one off the shelf ?, now ?, they open a drawer, replace the part in the ratchet, and send you on your way !..lol.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:12 PM   #25 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #417
View TRX2fiveO's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetree View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac102004 View Post
Quote:

yep, that's what I read alright !. haven't read anything about mac tools though in this deal ?. but I know sears is selling the craftsman name to Stanley/black and decker for sure.
Mac tools wasn't part of the deal, I'm just saying I think Stanley already owned Mac tools as well.
ah..ok. well..i hope they keep making craftsman tools in usa ?, if so ?, i'll be buying their tools again, I just wonder where they gonna sell them..if they close all the sears stores down ?..lol.
They have always made their upper line tool in the USA.... The black steel and cheaper are made elsewhere.... Told you this a long time ago..... Memory laps hahah lol

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk
96 Polaris 400L sport (Mrs. Moose Ride)
07 Suzuki LTZ250 (Sons)
96 Polaris 250 Trail Blazer (daughters)
06 TRX450ER aka === Under construction

Progress and Help
PM FOR MANUAL HELP
JETTING
Service_Manual_Downloads
2000_400EX_Build
400EX_Pivot_Bolt_
TRX2fiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 12:35 PM   #26 (permalink)

Member #13358
View Kevron's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 14 times
My cousin works for sears here in Texas and has been telling us for a few years that they are going to go under. I guess they are selling off the brands while they still have some value. He also told us the craftsman tools are the only thing that is profitable for them. Craftsman has definitely lost the quality they used to have. I've used Williams, great neck,snap on,Blackhawk, master mechanic but craftsman were about the best and easy to exchange if it broke because of the convenience of the sears store. Every other tool you had to search for a store that carried that brand.
TRX2fiveO likes this.
Kevron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 01:01 PM   #27 (permalink)

Member #13351
View mrbb's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 787 times
I bought a Kolbalt air compressor from Lowe's
it sat in the box on my porch for about 4 yrs never opened the box, finally used it to blow up a few atv tires and MX tires one day, worked great, put it back on porch and never used it for about 2 yrs
this past summer went to use it and it wouldn;t work??
compressor went bad??
SO, I am NOT impressed with there product, the parts were plagued with reviews of failing after a short time, and even the part maker NOTED< to contact Lowes about a replacement, but I was long past the warranty, and this was a 500-600 dollar compressor when I bought it??
was an impulse buy at the time, Lowes gave me a 25% off everything in the store for a month, so was buying a few things JUST cause of the deal! and that was 25% off on sale items too,

BUt I never used it and it just went BAD on a DRY indoor storage deal> even a heated porch too
SO , I don't think all there stuff is TOP shelf, there vice grips I bought on sale rubber coated handles, all came apart in short order??
and have more side to side play in them than Harbor freight JUNK one's do!!

Like I said, quality isn;'t in everything any more, they all seem to make THIS good, and THAT BAD, hoping you buy more based on ONE good thing LOL
we live in a WAY too disposable world where the average idiot accepts things to just fail and BUY more attitude , to just solve problems any more
we all seem to have bent over and learned to accept, they make and sell us JUNK anymore>
if business's ran this way back years ago, they would have went under!
just too many idiots out there today to support poor made things and company's cheaply made products!

quality went out the window if you asks me, everything is made JUST good enough to get you to buy it!
mrbb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 01:18 PM   #28 (permalink)

Member #47966
View rodp's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 39 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbb View Post
I bought a Kolbalt air compressor from Lowe's
it sat in the box on my porch for about 4 yrs never opened the box, finally used it to blow up a few atv tires and MX tires one day, worked great, put it back on porch and never used it for about 2 yrs
this past summer went to use it and it wouldn;t work??
compressor went bad??
SO, I am NOT impressed with there product, the parts were plagued with reviews of failing after a short time, and even the part maker NOTED< to contact Lowes about a replacement, but I was long past the warranty, and this was a 500-600 dollar compressor when I bought it??
was an impulse buy at the time, Lowes gave me a 25% off everything in the store for a month, so was buying a few things JUST cause of the deal! and that was 25% off on sale items too,

BUt I never used it and it just went BAD on a DRY indoor storage deal> even a heated porch too
SO , I don't think all there stuff is TOP shelf, there vice grips I bought on sale rubber coated handles, all came apart in short order??
and have more side to side play in them than Harbor freight JUNK one's do!!

Like I said, quality isn;'t in everything any more, they all seem to make THIS good, and THAT BAD, hoping you buy more based on ONE good thing LOL
we live in a WAY too disposable world where the average idiot accepts things to just fail and BUY more attitude , to just solve problems any more
we all seem to have bent over and learned to accept, they make and sell us JUNK anymore>
if business's ran this way back years ago, they would have went under!
just too many idiots out there today to support poor made things and company's cheaply made products!

quality went out the window if you asks me, everything is made JUST good enough to get you to buy it!
This !!! And it annoys the hell out of me !! At work we refuse to make poor quality items, I only buy good materials and to make an item takes as long as it takes.
I'll tell customers the truth. "We don't do junk and if you can't afford our time then tough, go elsewhere. We don't do bottom of the pile, but there's plenty that do so go and give them your money, we'll see you next year when you want a proper one making."

Guess what, we have plenty of customers. There's still lots who want a good item at a fair price.
rodp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 03:05 PM   #29 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
View shadetree's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 1388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRX2fiveO View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac102004 View Post

Mac tools wasn't part of the deal, I'm just saying I think Stanley already owned Mac tools as well.
ah..ok. well..i hope they keep making craftsman tools in usa ?, if so ?, i'll be buying their tools again, I just wonder where they gonna sell them..if they close all the sears stores down ?..lol.
They have always made their upper line tool in the USA.... The black steel and cheaper are made elsewhere.... Told you this a long time ago..... Memory laps hahah lol

although I will admit, some times my memory fails ?..lol. but no, I did not forget about the pro craftsman tools ?, they just don't offer many of them here at my local store ?. I made this thread in regards as to now all of a sudden, sears is selling craftsman tools again..that have '' made in usa '' again stamped on their budget tools, and the package ?..this is what this thread was about, not my memory !..lmfaooo.
Old 01-08-2017, 03:08 PM   #30 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #417
View TRX2fiveO's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 286 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRX2fiveO View Post
Quote:

although I will admit, some times my memory fails ?..lol. but no, I did not forget about the pro craftsman tools ?, they just don't offer many of them here at my local store ?. I made this thread in regards as to now all of a sudden, sears is selling craftsman tools again..that have '' made in usa '' again stamped on their budget tools, and the package ?..this is what this thread was about, not my memory !..lmfaooo.
They have always been there buddy.... I buy something at least every coupke of months. Now. . . . some of their tools i have are china... But i still haven't had any problems with them either...

96 Polaris 400L sport (Mrs. Moose Ride)
07 Suzuki LTZ250 (Sons)
96 Polaris 250 Trail Blazer (daughters)
06 TRX450ER aka === Under construction

Progress and Help
PM FOR MANUAL HELP
JETTING
Service_Manual_Downloads
2000_400EX_Build
400EX_Pivot_Bolt_
TRX2fiveO is offline   Reply With Quote