Operation Bush Salvage - Page 3 - Honda ATV Forum
Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Discussions > Around The Garage

Around The Garage Off-Topic conversations here!

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2017, 02:40 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member #47966
View rodp's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 39 times
If you really want what's left of this ATV perhaps load it up and take it home but leave a sign with contact details and saying you've taken it for safe keeping ? When you get it back notify authorities you have it safe and will dispose of it after 3 months if no claim.
And of course, if there happened to be no number on it then a claim to rights could be difficult.
Would this work over there ? Over here it wouldn't give you rights to it but you wouldn't get fined or jailed if you did it.
rodp is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 01-04-2017, 06:47 PM   #22 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
View shadetree's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 1388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodp View Post
If you really want what's left of this ATV perhaps load it up and take it home but leave a sign with contact details and saying you've taken it for safe keeping ? When you get it back notify authorities you have it safe and will dispose of it after 3 months if no claim.
And of course, if there happened to be no number on it then a claim to rights could be difficult.
Would this work over there ? Over here it wouldn't give you rights to it but you wouldn't get fined or jailed if you did it.
every atv has a vin number, if the vin number is gone ?, as in..grinded off ?, cut out ?, then this is a red flag for sure !. if some one did what your saying here ?, and was pulled over while taking it home ?, the police run the vin number, and it comes back stolen ?, then now your facing theft of property !!.
Old 01-05-2017, 12:11 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member #47966
That's the difference in countries then. here to be classed as theft (technically) you have to be found guilty of "permanently depriving the rightful owner of the item". So by leaving contact details and informing authorities they couldn't say you tried to permanently deprive the rightful owner of it, you left details so the owner could contact you.

Unfortunately the "travelling community" over here know this part of the law and if caught thieving just tell the police "I was only borrowing it and was taking it back later"

It's not really worth the hassle for a few atv parts is it, simpler to buy what you need and stay out of hassle.
shadetree likes this.

Old 01-05-2017, 03:50 PM   #24 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Member #32120
View fishfiles's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 748 times
Rod ' , where I am there is "theft" and then there is " possession of stolen property "
Macarena Man likes this.
fishfiles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 04:45 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member #82921
View mbmiller34's Photo Gallery(0)
Doesn't seem like our work is taking us back down that way regardless, it's really out of the way but if I end up back down there I'll look for a vin
mbmiller34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 04:51 PM   #26 (permalink)

Member #47966
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfiles View Post
Rod ' , where I am there is "theft" and then there is " possession of stolen property "
There is also that here, but I'm not sure they would prosecute for it here as it would have to be proved you knew it was stolen and not just abandoned.

I'm certainly no lawyer though, and the chances of finding an unguarded atv over here are slim to nil so really in my case it's all hypothetical, it just wouldn't happen.

Still be good to have a pile of free parts though.
Old 01-05-2017, 05:03 PM   #27 (permalink)

Member #49233
View jay10's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 48 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmiller34 View Post
Doesn't seem like our work is taking us back down that way regardless, it's really out of the way but if I end up back down there I'll look for a vin
Great! If you happen back there, a vin AND some pictures, I'd like to know more history of this topic
jay10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 07:48 PM   #28 (permalink)

Member #63961
View Menard_LaPue's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 15 times
"Intent" has some major part of the definition of your guilt and your intent has already been determined by your self-admission in your first post: you know the quad is not yours. The way I see it, your only choice is to call some authority and report the lost vehicle. If you are back there, put a plastic bag over the air intake hole to keep mice from moving in. If the authorities don't move the thing in say, 6 months, you might make a case that it is abandoned, and that your new intent is to strip an abandoned vehicle, as long as you can keep some proof of having reported it originally.
shadetree likes this.
Menard_LaPue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 08:37 PM   #29 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
View shadetree's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 1388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menard_LaPue View Post
"Intent" has some major part of the definition of your guilt and your intent has already been determined by your self-admission in your first post: you know the quad is not yours. The way I see it, your only choice is to call some authority and report the lost vehicle. If you are back there, put a plastic bag over the air intake hole to keep mice from moving in. If the authorities don't move the thing in say, 6 months, you might make a case that it is abandoned, and that your new intent is to strip an abandoned vehicle, as long as you can keep some proof of having reported it originally.
pretty much nailed it ^^^^^ !.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Discussions > Around The Garage