Operation Bush Salvage - Page 3 - Honda ATV Forum
Around The Garage Off-Topic conversations here!

 33Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 01:40 PM
Senior Member
 
rodp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Black Country, England
Posts: 494
Liked: 109 times
If you really want what's left of this ATV perhaps load it up and take it home but leave a sign with contact details and saying you've taken it for safe keeping ? When you get it back notify authorities you have it safe and will dispose of it after 3 months if no claim.
And of course, if there happened to be no number on it then a claim to rights could be difficult.
Would this work over there ? Over here it wouldn't give you rights to it but you wouldn't get fined or jailed if you did it.
rodp is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
 
shadetree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: north little rock, ar.
Posts: 29,394
Liked: 1716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodp View Post
If you really want what's left of this ATV perhaps load it up and take it home but leave a sign with contact details and saying you've taken it for safe keeping ? When you get it back notify authorities you have it safe and will dispose of it after 3 months if no claim.
And of course, if there happened to be no number on it then a claim to rights could be difficult.
Would this work over there ? Over here it wouldn't give you rights to it but you wouldn't get fined or jailed if you did it.
every atv has a vin number, if the vin number is gone ?, as in..grinded off ?, cut out ?, then this is a red flag for sure !. if some one did what your saying here ?, and was pulled over while taking it home ?, the police run the vin number, and it comes back stolen ?, then now your facing theft of property !!.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '83 cx650c , '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho
shadetree is offline  
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 11:11 AM
Senior Member
 
rodp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Black Country, England
Posts: 494
Liked: 109 times
That's the difference in countries then. here to be classed as theft (technically) you have to be found guilty of "permanently depriving the rightful owner of the item". So by leaving contact details and informing authorities they couldn't say you tried to permanently deprive the rightful owner of it, you left details so the owner could contact you.

Unfortunately the "travelling community" over here know this part of the law and if caught thieving just tell the police "I was only borrowing it and was taking it back later"

It's not really worth the hassle for a few atv parts is it, simpler to buy what you need and stay out of hassle.
shadetree likes this.
rodp is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 02:50 PM
Senior Member
Supporting Member
 
fishfiles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 4,605
Liked: 875 times
Rod ' , where I am there is "theft" and then there is " possession of stolen property "
Macarena Man likes this.
fishfiles is online now  
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
mbmiller34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 15
Doesn't seem like our work is taking us back down that way regardless, it's really out of the way but if I end up back down there I'll look for a vin
mbmiller34 is offline  
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 03:51 PM
Senior Member
 
rodp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Black Country, England
Posts: 494
Liked: 109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfiles View Post
Rod ' , where I am there is "theft" and then there is " possession of stolen property "
There is also that here, but I'm not sure they would prosecute for it here as it would have to be proved you knew it was stolen and not just abandoned.

I'm certainly no lawyer though, and the chances of finding an unguarded atv over here are slim to nil so really in my case it's all hypothetical, it just wouldn't happen.

Still be good to have a pile of free parts though.
rodp is offline  
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 04:03 PM
Senior Member
 
jay10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 788
Liked: 95 times
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmiller34 View Post
Doesn't seem like our work is taking us back down that way regardless, it's really out of the way but if I end up back down there I'll look for a vin
Great! If you happen back there, a vin AND some pictures, I'd like to know more history of this topic
jay10 is online now  
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 06:48 PM
Member
 
Menard_LaPue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Nevada
Posts: 99
Liked: 25 times
"Intent" has some major part of the definition of your guilt and your intent has already been determined by your self-admission in your first post: you know the quad is not yours. The way I see it, your only choice is to call some authority and report the lost vehicle. If you are back there, put a plastic bag over the air intake hole to keep mice from moving in. If the authorities don't move the thing in say, 6 months, you might make a case that it is abandoned, and that your new intent is to strip an abandoned vehicle, as long as you can keep some proof of having reported it originally.
shadetree likes this.

2016 Honda TRX420 AT EPS IRS Camo
Fuzzy Dice
Camo duck tape on warning labels
Menard_LaPue is offline  
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
 
shadetree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: north little rock, ar.
Posts: 29,394
Liked: 1716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menard_LaPue View Post
"Intent" has some major part of the definition of your guilt and your intent has already been determined by your self-admission in your first post: you know the quad is not yours. The way I see it, your only choice is to call some authority and report the lost vehicle. If you are back there, put a plastic bag over the air intake hole to keep mice from moving in. If the authorities don't move the thing in say, 6 months, you might make a case that it is abandoned, and that your new intent is to strip an abandoned vehicle, as long as you can keep some proof of having reported it originally.
pretty much nailed it ^^^^^ !.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '83 cx650c , '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho
shadetree is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Discussions > Around The Garage

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome