Winch line - Honda ATV Forum
Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Discussions > Around The Garage

Around The Garage Off-Topic conversations here!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2016, 06:01 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member #42320
View will.kostial's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 178 times
Winch line

Winters coming fast on us here after being in the 70's the past couple days and now 6+in of snow. My synthetic winch line has had its fair share of days and is showing wear.

What kind has everyone had luck with and reccomends?

Is it necessary to us the designated "plow rope" that is like 8ft long? My only problem with that is I go riding often in the snow and just unhook the plow and go, if I get stuck then my winch is useless.

This is going on a warn provantage 3500-s by the way.
26" Tusk Trilobite HD on stock wheels for plowing
Big Red Final Shifter Mod
Uni Air Filter
Warn Provantage 3500-S
High Lifter Springs
Quad Boss 2" Receiver Hitch
Heated Hand Grips & Thumb warmer
60" Quad Boss Snow Plow
2 Cree Led light Cubes
EBC severe duty brakes
will.kostial is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 11-21-2016, 06:41 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member #27661
View mac102004's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 844 times
Amsteel blue is what I have on my Rene but I don't plow so....

Can't you use the plow rope on the end of your regular rope?
Old 11-21-2016, 06:51 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member #42320
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac102004 View Post
Amsteel blue is what I have on my Rene but I don't plow so....

Can't you use the plow rope on the end of your regular rope?
I don't know? What's the difference with the plow rope?

The factory warn rope was breaking left and right on me so I replaced it with a quadboss synthetic rope that I got for free. The rope is 39' and has the protective sheath 1/2 way down it so it bearly fits on my spool.
Uni Air Filter
Warn Provantage 3500-S
High Lifter Springs
60" Quad Boss Snow Plow
2 Cree Led light Cubes
EBC severe duty brakes

Old 11-21-2016, 06:54 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member #27661
I assumed the plow rope was a bit more HD, and cheaper, and easier to replace...but then why wouldn't they just make 50ft of it lol. You only need a few feet of sheathing really, if that. I ended up cutting mine off, I never have to winch around a rock or tree or anything.
Old 11-21-2016, 07:44 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member #42320
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac102004 View Post
I assumed the plow rope was a bit more HD, and cheaper, and easier to replace...but then why wouldn't they just make 50ft of it lol. You only need a few feet of sheathing really, if that. I ended up cutting mine off, I never have to winch around a rock or tree or anything.
True. How do you keep your sheath by the hook? Mine seems to get caught in the winch. Maybe it's because of their being to much of it or the stupid hawse fairlead. Going to be swapping that for a roller fairlead
Uni Air Filter
Warn Provantage 3500-S
High Lifter Springs
60" Quad Boss Snow Plow
2 Cree Led light Cubes
EBC severe duty brakes
Old 11-21-2016, 07:46 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member #27661
The tether you mean? It seems to stay ok. I have the hawse too and hate it. If you put the cable at took much angle it starts to chew it up. I've had the roller sitting here forever but haven't had the chance to change it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-21-2016, 08:18 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member #15336
View ttwheelsquad's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 75 times
Hey Will. I was in the same position as you, want to use synthetic line but can't be switching back and forth between one for plowing and one for winching use. But I also didn't want to chew up my nice synthetic line. So here's what I've done and its worked well through 2 winters.

1) ditch the hawse fairlead. I started with a brand new standard roller fairlead and all been good so far with that

2) use the sleeve and stitch it in place, one stitch at the end of both the rope and sleeve, and one at the other end of the sleeve wherever that ends up on the rope when straightened. I stitch the end of both together first, going through both rope and sleeve a few times using 6 lb test fishing line. The I pull the rope tight and affix it to something, then pull the sleeve tight and then let the sleeve back about an inch and stitch that end in place there. I don't ever winch around rocks or trees so I can get by this way. If I did I would just add a second sleeve and keep it wrapped at the halfway point on the rope and let it slide for rocks and trees.

3) I've got a couple setups that have been using this. One with Amsteel blue I bought from Midwest Winch Rope website and the other with Sedeta (Dyneema) I got from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Sedeta-Durabl.../dp/B013B348IW 3/16" for both. In the future I'll buy from Amazon, seems just as good and the price is right.

4) I figured this solution out not from winching/plowing, but from 3 years ago when I came up with my own wheelchair loading mechanism for my wheelchair. I used a winch and synthetic rope and there was one part where the rope had to slide over an edge. So I did the sleeve thing and I use it 2 to 6 times a day, every day now for 3 years. So when I then got into plowing, I knew this would do the trick. So far so good.

5) I buy my sleeving (tubular webbing) here: https://www.rei.com/product/107605/c...ubular-webbing
will.kostial likes this.
rear rack wheelchair carrier
Cycle Country 48" plow w/ KFI hybrid mount
Champion 3000 lb winch w/ synthetic rope
23-8-12's all around (saving clutch)

2011 Grizzly 450 EPS

Last edited by ttwheelsquad; 11-21-2016 at 08:23 AM.
ttwheelsquad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 08:42 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member #15336
View ttwheelsquad's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 75 times
And to answer the questions about the "plow ropes", I've always understood them to be the same kind of rope as standard synthetic winch rope, except they are shorter. They are shorter for 2 reasons:

- Less wraps on the drum for less wear and tear and slower winching

- Less expensive than a 50 ft rope

But because of what I mentioned before I don't bother with one of these specific shorties.
rear rack wheelchair carrier
Cycle Country 48" plow w/ KFI hybrid mount
Champion 3000 lb winch w/ synthetic rope
23-8-12's all around (saving clutch)

2011 Grizzly 450 EPS

Last edited by ttwheelsquad; 11-21-2016 at 08:45 AM.
ttwheelsquad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 08:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
View shadetree's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 1517 times
use a roller fairlead...period !. no more wear on the rope going back and forth over the hawse fairlead. it does not take a rocket genius to figure this out..lol. I use a roller fairlead on every winch I've installed, not one problem from my rope fraying.
ttwheelsquad and will.kostial like this.
Old 11-21-2016, 09:01 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member #13351
View mrbb's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 815 times
Sorry Will, have to laugh, all that time and money on a WARN, from super winch and you're still having rope issue's?
ME and my wire keep chugging along yr after yr of plowing snow HAHA! sure once in a while it snaps, and takes me mere seconds to fix and back going again? and a whopping 10 bucks for 50 ft of new line LOL

BUt I do think that a roller fairlead will help you a lot, they just have less friction on things being able to roll
another things, and again , this is a ??? fix, if your going to replace the line, WHY not just buy line for a heaver app;application/diameter, this will sure add more life to things, as it will handle more stress and be stronger , you will have to narrow the end to fit on the spool, and then you WON"T get as many feet on the spool, but its can be done and can make for a LOT less likely line to snap on you, will kill your motor before breaking maybe LOL
I know yrs back when I got my first atv winch, it had super thin wire rope on it and when time came to replace I went up a size or two (forget exact sizes) and never had any issue, winch is still working 17 yrs later?
as for sleeve's
like said above, you should be able to a fix it to stay put, a simple idea from me is to use some electrical tape to hold the ends in place, it should still stay flexible enough to wrap on the spool then, and yet still hold in place!

ALso, HOW did your angle mod work if you got to plow any snow with it??
mrbb is online now   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Discussions > Around The Garage