Winch line - Page 3 - Honda ATV Forum
Around The Garage Off-Topic conversations here!

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 06:23 AM
Supporting Member

Liked: 920 times
I got it tuned in pretty good , so it is in the middle of the winch , the harse fairlead I am using is for a smaller winch , which kinda forces it to the middle ------- it is important on the boat that the cable goes right onto the drums , the set up I use is called skimmer / wing nets , mostly at night , you lift the aluminum frames in and out of the water , the winches are above your head 8 ft above the deck and you can't see how the cable is spooling on the drum too well at night , bad spooling can cause a disaster ------ I had problems in the beginning with this set up , didn't have a fairlead , angles out of tune and it got the Spectra rope sucked up in between the drum ,was out on the water , at night with the wind blowing and tide rolling , with the net frame half way up on one side , was able to tie off the frame , let out on the winch and get it out the drum , didn't even damage the rope , wire cable would have been so bird nested and cut up that it could have knocked me out the game
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 06:34 AM

Liked: 892 times
also don't forget that syn line , I suspect is wet, on a boat , and that should help make them both slide easier and to help hold down heat /friction, from it!
My personal experience is that friction yes does wear things, but its normally a flaw or an area that got damaged some how, where line snaps
be it a sharp object its dragged over or a few strands breaking, and then once a load is on the line, it becomes a weak link and snaps

but yes a roller fairlead will do a lot less wear and tear to the line itself going IN/OUT all the time.
that is as long as you keep the roller rolling, , up here in the north with salt and mud and dirt, I have to take mine apart every so often and clean and grease to keep them turning, or they will freeze up and then its the same deal or worse than a hause fairlead, as they do get wear spots in them, heck using wire rope and plowing a lot, I cut mine open after a few yrs LOl
and have to replace the bottom roller
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 06:42 AM
Supporting Member

Liked: 920 times
[QUOTE=mrbb;761777]also don't forget that syn line , I suspect is wet, on a boat , and that should help make them both slide easier and to help hold down heat /friction, from it!

No , it never gets wet unless it rains , the top of the frame where the rope attaches is 2ft or more above the water line , the winches are 8ft above the deck -------also I find the rope damages the fairlead more than the rope itself , it would saw the fairlead in half , quickly , if you let it run out of alignment and you won't see much wear on the rope
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 12:20 PM

Liked: 126 times
Is ploughing that common over there? We don't do it much (if at all with quads). There again, we don't have the room so few large driveways and don't have a lot of snow.
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Liked: 178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodp View Post
Is ploughing that common over there? We don't do it much (if at all with quads). There again, we don't have the room so few large driveways and don't have a lot of snow.
Very common. That's the main use of mine in the winter.

2006 Honda Rincon 680 4x4 CAMO
4000 miles and 700 hours
26" Tusk Trilobite HD on 12" STI HD3 wheels
26" Tusk Trilobite HD on stock wheels for plowing
Big Red Final Shifter Mod
Uni Air Filter
Warn Provantage 3500-S
High Lifter Springs
Quad Boss 2" Receiver Hitch
Heated Hand Grips & Thumb warmer
60" Quad Boss Snow Plow
2 Cree Led light Cubes
EBC severe duty brakes
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 02:37 PM

any area in the USA/Canada with in a snow belt, its very common to use an atv, gets you more use out of it and saves a lot of back work shoveling manually!
I would guess I average over a 150 miles a yr pushing snow with mine! some yrs a LOT more , and a little less!
its earned its keep plowing alone, almost makes moving snow fun! LOl
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 02:50 PM

We've yet to see snow this year, just cold and wet same as last year, and the year before. Got to be a good 5 or 6 years since we had more than a few days of snow on the ground. Last bad one I can remember was 1963, snow down for several weeks and ploughing the main roads. Think we had a bit in 82 /83 but was only down a week or two.
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 04:50 PM

Quote:
We've yet to see snow this year, just cold and wet same as last year, and the year before. Got to be a good 5 or 6 years since we had more than a few days of snow on the ground. Last bad one I can remember was 1963, snow down for several weeks and ploughing the main roads. Think we had a bit in 82 /83 but was only down a week or two.
I would be lost without snow every winter, winter to me just isn't winter without it, be like a summer without sun shine, heat and sweating! LOL
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 1791 times
meh, i'm not about to work in the snow ?, i'm gonna play in it..not shove it around !!..lmfao.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '05 trx500fm
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbb View Post
Quote:
I would be lost without snow every winter, winter to me just isn't winter without it, be like a summer without sun shine, heat and sweating! LOL
Yep, that about sums it up nicely. And cold rain, lots of rain !!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Discussions > Around The Garage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode