Winch line - Page 2 - Honda ATV Forum
Around The Garage Off-Topic conversations here!

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Liked: 178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttwheelsquad View Post
Hey Will. I was in the same position as you, want to use synthetic line but can't be switching back and forth between one for plowing and one for winching use. But I also didn't want to chew up my nice synthetic line. So here's what I've done and its worked well through 2 winters.

1) ditch the hawse fairlead. I started with a brand new standard roller fairlead and all been good so far with that

2) use the sleeve and stitch it in place, one stitch at the end of both the rope and sleeve, and one at the other end of the sleeve wherever that ends up on the rope when straightened. I stitch the end of both together first, going through both rope and sleeve a few times using 6 lb test fishing line. The I pull the rope tight and affix it to something, then pull the sleeve tight and then let the sleeve back about an inch and stitch that end in place there. I don't ever winch around rocks or trees so I can get by this way. If I did I would just add a second sleeve and keep it wrapped at the halfway point on the rope and let it slide for rocks and trees.

3) I've got a couple setups that have been using this. One with Amsteel blue I bought from Midwest Winch Rope website and the other with Sedeta (Dyneema) I got from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Sedeta-Durabl.../dp/B013B348IW 3/16" for both. In the future I'll buy from Amazon, seems just as good and the price is right.

4) I figured this solution out not from winching/plowing, but from 3 years ago when I came up with my own wheelchair loading mechanism for my wheelchair. I used a winch and synthetic rope and there was one part where the rope had to slide over an edge. So I did the sleeve thing and I use it 2 to 6 times a day, every day now for 3 years. So when I then got into plowing, I knew this would do the trick. So far so good.

5) I buy my sleeving (tubular webbing) here: https://www.rei.com/product/107605/c...ubular-webbing

Thanks for the info. I have one of those specific roller fairlead for plowing that has the bigger roller on the bottom. Warn sent it to me for free just haven't used it. I'm going to start fresh with new line since I plow so much and don't want to have to worry about a repair.

2006 Honda Rincon 680 4x4 CAMO
4000 miles and 700 hours
26" Tusk Trilobite HD on 12" STI HD3 wheels
26" Tusk Trilobite HD on stock wheels for plowing
Big Red Final Shifter Mod
Uni Air Filter
Warn Provantage 3500-S
High Lifter Springs
Quad Boss 2" Receiver Hitch
Heated Hand Grips & Thumb warmer
60" Quad Boss Snow Plow
2 Cree Led light Cubes
EBC severe duty brakes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbb View Post
Sorry Will, have to laugh, all that time and money on a WARN, from super winch and you're still having rope issue's?
ME and my wire keep chugging along yr after yr of plowing snow HAHA! sure once in a while it snaps, and takes me mere seconds to fix and back going again? and a whopping 10 bucks for 50 ft of new line LOL

BUt I do think that a roller fairlead will help you a lot, they just have less friction on things being able to roll
another things, and again , this is a ??? fix, if your going to replace the line, WHY not just buy line for a heaver app;application/diameter, this will sure add more life to things, as it will handle more stress and be stronger , you will have to narrow the end to fit on the spool, and then you WON"T get as many feet on the spool, but its can be done and can make for a LOT less likely line to snap on you, will kill your motor before breaking maybe LOL
I know yrs back when I got my first atv winch, it had super thin wire rope on it and when time came to replace I went up a size or two (forget exact sizes) and never had any issue, winch is still working 17 yrs later?
as for sleeve's
like said above, you should be able to a fix it to stay put, a simple idea from me is to use some electrical tape to hold the ends in place, it should still stay flexible enough to wrap on the spool then, and yet still hold in place!

ALso, HOW did your angle mod work if you got to plow any snow with it??

I think my problem is the hawse fairlead, it's creating to much wear on it? Im going to give the synthetic rope one more try then go back to the steel wire.

As for the plow angle, I have it working, tested it with pushing dirt and worked some flaws out of it. Didn't bother plowing this time as it's going to get warm enough to melt in a couple days.

4000 miles and 700 hours
Uni Air Filter
Warn Provantage 3500-S
High Lifter Springs
60" Quad Boss Snow Plow
2 Cree Led light Cubes
EBC severe duty brakes

Last edited by will.kostial; 11-21-2016 at 04:49 PM.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 1920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by will.kostial View Post
Quote:
Sorry Will, have to laugh, all that time and money on a WARN, from super winch and you're still having rope issue's?
ME and my wire keep chugging along yr after yr of plowing snow HAHA! sure once in a while it snaps, and takes me mere seconds to fix and back going again? and a whopping 10 bucks for 50 ft of new line LOL

BUt I do think that a roller fairlead will help you a lot, they just have less friction on things being able to roll
another things, and again , this is a ??? fix, if your going to replace the line, WHY not just buy line for a heaver app;application/diameter, this will sure add more life to things, as it will handle more stress and be stronger , you will have to narrow the end to fit on the spool, and then you WON"T get as many feet on the spool, but its can be done and can make for a LOT less likely line to snap on you, will kill your motor before breaking maybe LOL
I know yrs back when I got my first atv winch, it had super thin wire rope on it and when time came to replace I went up a size or two (forget exact sizes) and never had any issue, winch is still working 17 yrs later?
as for sleeve's
like said above, you should be able to a fix it to stay put, a simple idea from me is to use some electrical tape to hold the ends in place, it should still stay flexible enough to wrap on the spool then, and yet still hold in place!

I think my problem is the hawse fairlead, it's creating to much wear on it? Im going to give it one more try then go back to the steel wire.

As for the plow angle, I have it working, tested it with pushing dirt and worked some flaws out of it. Didn't bother plowing this time as it's going to get warm enough to melt in a couple days.
your wasting your time and money on that stupid hawse fairlead bro !, use a roller fairlead, be done with it !.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '05 trx500fm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetree View Post
Quote:
Quote:

as for sleeve's

I think my problem is the hawse fairlead, it's creating to much wear on it? Im going to give it one more try then go back to the steel wire.

your wasting your time and money on that stupid hawse fairlead bro !, use a roller fairlead, be done with it !.
Miss worded that. I meant I'm going to give the synthetic rope one last try before going back to steel cable. 5$/6 hawse fairlead is coming off! Lol

4000 miles and 700 hours
Uni Air Filter
Warn Provantage 3500-S
High Lifter Springs
60" Quad Boss Snow Plow
2 Cree Led light Cubes
EBC severe duty brakes
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Miss worded that. I meant I'm going to give the synthetic rope one last try before going back to steel cable. 5$/6 hawse fairlead is coming off! Lol
lol, ok, if ya put that roller fairlead on there ?, I bet you my last dollar, you won't have any more ropes breaking ??!!. mark my word on this !. if ya do ?, then you got something else breaking your rope ??.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '05 trx500fm
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

lol, ok, if ya put that roller fairlead on there ?, I bet you my last dollar, you won't have any more ropes breaking ??!!. mark my word on this !. if ya do ?, then you got something else breaking your rope ??.
Would you reccomend using a regular roller fairlead or one designed for a plow? Warn sent me one when I first bought my winch but they said I shouldn't need it. Lol
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000OV6DZG..._Y07mybMQBBZ43

Can probably use that year round, just doesn't have a real big top roller.

4000 miles and 700 hours
Uni Air Filter
Warn Provantage 3500-S
High Lifter Springs
60" Quad Boss Snow Plow
2 Cree Led light Cubes
EBC severe duty brakes
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 09:36 PM

Liked: 79 times
That one is perfect for all your winching and plowing needs. Use it or mail it to me =)

2004 TRX400FA (Rancher 400AT)
MotionPro twist throttle kit
12" handlebar mounted light bar
rear rack wheelchair carrier
Cycle Country 48" plow w/ KFI hybrid mount
Champion 3000 lb winch w/ synthetic rope
23-8-12's all around (saving clutch)

2011 Grizzly 450 EPS
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 09:49 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Would you reccomend using a regular roller fairlead or one designed for a plow? Warn sent me one when I first bought my winch but they said I shouldn't need it. Lol
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000OV6DZG..._Y07mybMQBBZ43

Can probably use that year round, just doesn't have a real big top roller.
use it !!!. you won't see a rope break anymore !..lol. I can't stress this enough on here to all these owners that want to use a plow with a hawse fairlead ?!, you can not keep running that rope over and over and over the same spot ?. it causes to much friction, friction causes heat, heat causes it to..well...BREAK !!..LOL. too you, and everyone that wants to use a plow ?..USE A ROLLER FAIRLEAD PLEASE !.
ttwheelsquad and will.kostial like this.

post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 04:42 AM
Supporting Member

Liked: 1114 times
if you do go with the synthetic rope , be sure you get Spectra , I use it on my shrimp boat winches and it will last , there is some cheap Chinese stuff out there that is crap , it fades it's color fast , the good stuff don't fade from the sun light , I buy the good stuff from the marine supply company and it has Spectra decals on side the reels ----- on the boat winches the rope goes thru a harse fairlead with no problems
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 05:42 AM

Liked: 79 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfiles View Post
if you do go with the synthetic rope , be sure you get Spectra , I use it on my shrimp boat winches and it will last , there is some cheap Chinese stuff out there that is crap , it fades it's color fast , the good stuff don't fade from the sun light , I buy the good stuff from the marine supply company and it has Spectra decals on side the reels ----- on the boat winches the rope goes thru a harse fairlead with no problems
This is good info about the ropes, Fish. Question though, with the hawse fairleads on the boats, are the ropes coming pretty much straight out? Or are they being pulled at sharp 90 degrees right at the fairlead?

2004 TRX400FA (Rancher 400AT)
MotionPro twist throttle kit
12" handlebar mounted light bar
rear rack wheelchair carrier
Cycle Country 48" plow w/ KFI hybrid mount
Champion 3000 lb winch w/ synthetic rope
23-8-12's all around (saving clutch)

2011 Grizzly 450 EPS

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Discussions > Around The Garage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode