Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Discussions > Around The Garage

Around The Garage Off-Topic conversations here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2010, 08:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member #1253
View Hondalover96's Photo Gallery(0)
Yamaha Grizzly 660 starting help!!!

ok my uncle has a Yamaha 660 Grizzly he got it about right the time they came out, but anyways he had to get a new right axle on the front suspension(independent). So he never got the time to ever do anything with it so it set in the garage for 2 years.He got a new axle and he figured out it had stale gas in the gas tank.So he put new gas in. He also put new diff. lock oil and new engine oil. So he startes it up and the battery makes a buzzing sound. so he charges it up. so now the engines turnin over. he checked the spark plug and it was dry as a bone. we tried gettin it runnin on ether and it started up then shut off. we think its the carburator not puttin gas into the engine. does anybody know how to start this Grizzly please?

Last edited by Hondalover96; 03-17-2010 at 08:04 PM.
Hondalover96 is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 03-17-2010, 08:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member #2120
View 700xx's Photo Gallery(0)
Definitly need to pull the carb and clean it if it's been sitting for 2 years.
08 TRX700XX Silver/black, Uni air filter,L8ton racing 11/16" sway bar, 13t sprocket, Kenda kutters all the way around, Pro taper high bend bars, Powermadd hand guards, FMF powercore 4 & FMF powerbomb header, EHS programmer, EHS air box lid, Alba pro ellite nerf bars and bumper
700xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
View Helmut's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 11 times
I agree with 700XX, the carb needs to be taken off and cleaned. That's your problem.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member #1088
View Billy250X's Photo Gallery(0)
Yep clean the carb real good.It's probably not filling up.

1991 Trx250X Custom exhaust,K&N jetted,widened 7.5 inches in the back and 8 inches in the frontWarrior rear shock and z400 front shocks with custom brackets.Race cut fenders.+3 swingarm.Way more to come.
Building things makes me happy.
Billy250X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member #11940
View mugs's Photo Gallery(0)
Grizzly wont start

I am having the same problem. Could it be a clogged fuel filter? I spray starting fluid into throat, and it runs fine. Seems like its not getting fuel.
mugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 01:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #8365
View Deeperinthabush's Photo Gallery(0)
MUGS<<<<Welcome to the forums...Free downloadable manuals in the Schematics/Manuals section...Hondalover,and Mugs.....Remove the carb,dismantle it,thoroughly clean it,its jets,all orifices(avoid getting carb cleaner on anything made of rubber,o-rings,gaskets,float needle tip...
FREE REPAIR MANUALS >>http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums...all-years.html 1986-1992 trx350 parts for sale>>http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums/atv-parts-sale/29225-complete-part-out-1986-fourtrax-350-a.html
Deeperinthabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member #805
View 69quadracer's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 3 times
Pull carb and clean, it's gummed up after sittin two years
recently sold 07 TRX 450ER 14/1 CP piston/ +1 valves intake & exhaust/ 208 web cam/ High Rev valve springs/ potred & polished/bored carb by DASA/ DASA Classic exhaust / Leagers +2 MX Lt a-arms/ Ohlins Lt front & Fox Podium X DSC Rear shock and LSR DC-6 linkage/LSR duel row carrier/ lsr Axcaliber Pro axle/ Pro Armor skid & rear bumper/ Hiper Bead locks/ Quadcross Pro's/ Houser +1 stem/ Precision stablizer / Pro Taper Fat bars/ ASV levers/ Quadtech hump seat. My trail ride is a 07 GRIZZLY 700 !
69quadracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
View Helmut's Photo Gallery(0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mugs View Post
I am having the same problem. Could it be a clogged fuel filter? I spray starting fluid into throat, and it runs fine. Seems like its not getting fuel.
Welcome to the forums. The 660 Grizzly doesn't have a fuel filter, but if you have the 550 or 700, it has a fuel filter. If you have the 660, then you need to remove the carb and clean it. Also, make sure gas is flowing from the tank to the carb, as the hose or pet cock valve might be clogged.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 05:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member #10760
View jake72's Photo Gallery(0)
they sit more than a month or 2 and carb needs cleaned
jake72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:23 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member #9456
View gottaroost's Photo Gallery(0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mugs View Post
I would take 'er easy with too much carb cleaner going in as that can quickly damage your internal rubber items in the carb---not worth it.

That carb will treat you well if it comes all the way out and all the way apart. The bulk of your problem lies in the jets, which are probably covered with varnish inside and out due to gas sitting for 2 years. Until you completely clean (or better yet replace because they are cheap) those jets, it will run funny or not at all.

Just last Saturday I had to do this EXACT same thing on a 2-wheeler that had been sitting for the magical 2 year stretch full of gas in the carb...what a mess...but the worst of it was inside the jets so I had to pay careful attention to it. It is just fine to use carb cleaner on the jets once you have them separated out of the carb itself...just keep it off o-rings and such.

If you are not a complete carb taker-aparter type, then at the very least get those jets out and clean or replace them.

2008 Raptor 700SE
2002 400EX
2010 Raptor 250
2008 Raptor 250
gottaroost is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Discussions > Around The Garage

Search tags for this page
1998 yamaha grizzly just buzzes not starting
2002 grissly 660 wont start its getting gas and the plug is firing
2002 grizzly wont start but has spark and gas
2005 yamaha grizzly wont start
grizzly 660 won't start
removing gas from grizzly 660
trouble starting my yamaha grizzly 4 wheeler

yamaha grizzly 660 starter problems

yamaha grizzly 660 will not start

yamaha grizzly 660 wont start

yamaha grizzly wont start
youtube change fuel filter 2002 yamaha 660 grizzly
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.