Honda ATV Forum banner

Fixing Electronic Shift (ES) problems

367K views 203 replies 71 participants last post by  raphaelpomerleaumori 
#1 ·
Many of us have Electric Shift (ES) models. In fact, Honda sells approximately EIGHT times as many ES models for every foot-shift model sold. The ES models are very reliable. But, because of the number of ES machines that are sold and owned, it sometimes seems that there are more difficulties with ES shifting than with manual shifting. Unfortunately, there has been one problem with ES shifting that has affected many ES owners at one time or another: The problem is that, at times, when you make a shift (up or down) on an ES machine, the shift is not complete. You can hear the shift motor trying to make the shift when you press a shift button <->, but no shift occurs and, at times, you receive a - - - display. The problem occurs even more often when it is cold outside.
Fortunately, the answer/fix to the problem is really very easy! The problem is caused by very heavy, stiff, gummy grease that was installed in the shift motor gears at the factory. Once that grease is removed and replaced with a different grease, you'll be back to shifting normally! So, here's how you replace that grease: Remove the shift motor and gears (all one piece) from the lower front of your engine. There are normally four 10mm bolts that hold it on. Once you have it loose and off, you will see that in the gears, there is some very thick, gummy, stiff grease. Clean out all of that grease. (You can use a solvent such as paint thinner to get it all out). When cleaning the grease out, do be careful not to disturb the position that the gears are in. Once all the old grease is out, replace that grease with a generous amount of ALL-TEMPERATURE, WHITE LITHIUM GREASE. (That grease is available from any auto parts store.) After you've put the new grease in the gears, reassemble the shift motor/gears back onto the engine/transmission. Snug up the 10mm bolts, but don't over-tighten them. You should now be good to go!
-----------
Note.... I have brought both this problem, and this fix, to the attention of Honda Powersports. They have been very responsive to me and have assured me that they will not only let their dealers know of this fix, but that they will revise the grease that they put into future models.
-----------
I hope this helps you! ..........Ride Safely...........Have Fun!

See less See more
#41 ·
I need a bit of help, purchased a 2014 honda fourtrax dct 420, across from the shifter motor, there is a something that i think might be a sensor but i could be wrong but it uses a one 10mm bolt and it has somewhat the same connector as the shifter motor does, its a brown connector, searching a lot for it but i don't seem to find a name for it, would gladly appreciate it if anyone can help me on what it is as I broke they one i had.

#51 ·
I think its the same so far, already ordered off ebay anyways so i'll just hope luck is on my side and that it works, same color connector and also the same size, I don't see a difference to the one I have, I would have gone for another one made for a rincon but it was a bit bend and seemed a little much bigger and also a lot different, but again, I hope luck is on my side, Thanks for the help everyone!

#56 ·
Did you adjust clutch and take off shift motor and give it some new grease?

#61 ·
I have a 1999 foreman 450 ES. I have to rock the bike when shifting from reverse to neutral or 1st to neutral. The shifting also gets worse when the engine is hot. I have done the lube change on the gears a couple of times and that helps when it stops shifting in cold weather. But my question is, what does rocking the bike do ? Is something worn or out of adjustment ?

#63 ·
I have a 2000 Foreman 450ES.
It also gets stuck in Reverse sometimes when it is hot.
Rocking the atv back and forth, or pushing/pulling it, will turn the wheels
which will turn the transmission gears, and free up the gear jam.

Maybe someone before me shifted out of reverse while it was still rolling
which caused some minor gear/bearing damage.
Metal expands when it is hot and might aggravate the gears or bearings.
Kind of like my knee starts hurting when there is a change in the weather.

I recently replaced the oil with some 20W/50, which seemed to help.
But I don't ride when the temperature is below freezing.
Another option is lucas oil additive which boosts viscosity.

#65 ·
Trying to define "load": the engine/trans is pushing one or more gears in one direction,
while the wheels/driveshafts are pushing back in the other direction.
So moving the wheels in the "correct" direction should cause it to "unload".
That implies you don't need to rock it back and forth so much as you need to
move it one way or the other, and rocking it does move it in each direction
momentarily, which produces the desired result. Although pushing it one way,
trying it and if that fails, pull it the other way should work perhaps a little better?

Interesting to know that it happens on footshift models too.
But why does mine only stick in Reverse?

#67 ·
2000es

even on level ground, i have had to rock my atv. i can come to a stop put it in neutral. when i start it next, if im going to reverse gear, i have to rock it.,,sometimes going into first..
just a ghost in the machine.. my PC has quite a few. i named my computer, betsy-lucy-wanker.:smile

#66 ·
Mine is a 2000 450ES as well. I replaced the grease (could not see any on the gears) so added white lithium grease. It did not say "all temp" but said it was good to -40 C. (same as - 40 F) . First ride it shifted great. Next time I took it out to plow snow, it worked for about 15 minutes then I got the same problem. Once in reverse no amount of rocking or pushing the upshift button would get it into neutral. I had to manually shift it into neutral, shut off the engine, turn it back on, then it would shift into first. Next time I backed up same thing would happen. So I changed the angle sensor, and again it worked well for awhile. Now the problem is it decides it won't shift from 1st to neutral. More rocking and most times it will finally go into neutral. In 1 1 /2 hours of plowing snow today, only had to do the manual shift procedure once. This was near the end of the plowing. Very annoying as changing gears is a real exercise! Now not sure what to check next. Maybe I did not put enough grease on the shift motor gears? Checked the battery a few times and it is always around 12.5 volts. Any ideas and help would sure be appreciated.

#68 ·
Hi guys! So I am finally on vacation so I am trying to clean my Electronic shift gears on my 2007 rancher 420 es. It shifted OK before but it could be better so I followed the instructions and I cleaned the old grease out. Well after cleaning I applied the white lithium grease to the gears and reassembled them. After waiting for the gasket maker to set up, I took it for a test run. It was shifting amazing all the way up to 5th gear but when I went to down shift it wouldn't. So I pulled it apart again and looked at a diagram on how the gears go in and I removed a small amount of grease. I tried it again and it still wouldn't. I can hear it trying but it wont down shift. I took the gears out and I can shift the engine fine with the emergency shift leaver. So something is happening in those three gears in that assembly. I looked at all the teeth and they are in perfect condition. So my question is, did i put to much grease in or am i installing the gears wrong? Please help, I thought it would be easy but I guess i might have bit off more than i can chew...

#70 ·
Hi: Did you align the spindle gear up with the marks? -- put the bike in Neutral when doing it.

Attachments

Reactions: KOUNTRYQUADS
#71 ·
Update. I fixed the downshifting issue, the gasket maker got on the gears and blocked the teeth. Also i didn't align that half moon/spindle gear properly. I still haven't been able to fix my 2nd-3rd shift delay. I have to press the up shift button more than once, it only occurs at certain rpms. Its only 2-3 and it was really bad when i bought it with 200 miles six months ago, but its gotten slightly better over time (now 750 miles) but drives me nuts!!! Could it be the angle sensor? Or could it be the shift buttons? this is driving me crazy! Thanks for help!