Honda ATV Forum banner

big red three wheeler starter removal

12K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Helmut 
#1 ·
how do you get the starter off,it is getting power to it. when the button is pushed but nothing happens,the starter has been dragging lately and today when i try to start it it just clicks.i have checked the terminal on the starter with a meter so i am sure its getting power and the wheeler has a new battery.....thanks

#2 ·
Unhook the positive battery cable, first, and unbolt the cable from the starter. Now, remove the two bolts from the rear of the starter. If the starter still won't come out, unbolt the starter gear cover (4 bolts) on the left side of the engine and remove the reduction gear and it should pull out then.

#3 ·
thanks,thats what i was thinking but was afraid there might be some gears or something fall off when i took the starter gear cover off,do you know where to get a new starter, the place around here that rebuilds starters said they could fix mine for $78 but i thought that was high.i seen them on ebay from $46 to $136 new,thanks again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.