Honda ATV Forum banner

Gear Oil for TRX300FW

10K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Helmut 
#1 ·
Just chnaged my front and rear differential gear oil and noticed the oil I used is Valvoline SAE 85W-145. Owners manual calls for SAE 80. Do I need to start all over?
Also didnt realize front Gear case on engine uses 10W-40 motor oil. I inserted the Gear oil in there also but realized my mistake. What could have happened to the gear case by using the gear oil vs. the 10w-40 motor oil anyway??

#2 ·
I doubt that will hurt the diffs. I've seen a lot of people run gear oil in the front gear case/transfer case. I don't think it will hurt anything, because there isn't any pump or anything in the transfer case.

#4 ·
80w or..in your case ( no pun intended )..85w is fine..as for your transfer case..80w won't hurt it..it does call for 10-w40..but..seeing how it does not have any kind of pump..80w or 85w will be fine.

#6 ·
Yeah, I think so.

#8 ·
I thought it was like oil, the 10W-30 meant it flows like a 30wt in summer and a 10wt winter? Or is it that it flows like a 10wt and protects like a 30wt? don't remember for sure but the lube you used should be FINE. There was a guy here at one time that did tons of reading and research on oils and stuff not sure if he is still here.

#9 ·
Yeah, I think that works similar to way engine oil works on the ratings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.