Honda ATV Forum banner

TRX 350 - how to remove gas tank

26K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Manny 
#1 ·
Hi all. I have a year 2000 Honda Rancher 4x4 350. It is in great shape but hasn't been run in a few years - it's been sitting inside my garage. Just put a new battery in but it won't start. The cranking part goes just fine now that I have a new battery, the engine just won't fire.

The tank has about 1/3 tank and the gas is bad - no products were added when I stored the bike. Wanted to drain the tank so I removed the fuel line from the carb and nothing came out, even though the fuel valve was turned to "on".

I tried to blow into the fuel line while the valve was turned to on but I couldn't get air to blow into the line. It appears to be clogged upstream somewhere.

What would you recommend for next steps? I know I need to get that fuel out and likely do something to unclog whatever is preventing fuel from traveling down that line. Any advice would be VERY appreciated.

#2 ·
instead of removing the tank, just remove the petcock, two phillips head screws usually hold them on. take that out, blow out the tank real good, disassemble and clean the petcock, then reinstall with an inline fuel filter and you should be back up and running.

#4 ·
The petcock is what sits on the left hand side bottom of your gas tank. its what controls on/off/reserve. the petcock comes from the gas tank, and the gas line runs from the carb to the petcock.

Turn the petcock to the off position....remove the gas line then from the petcock nipple, THEN remove the petcock, it'll probably be messy because the gas will want to pour out the bottom of the tank once you remove the petcock. however, you can jack up the left side of the entire atv and the gas will rush to the right side of the tank to allow no gas to exit out the hole once the petcock is removed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.