Honda ATV Forum banner

Rancher reverse switch wire replacement?

14K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Helmut 
#1 ·
First post for me, but I have used this forum to solve many problems since purchasing my rancher!

I had the common problem of my bike not switching into reverse and it was the plug coming undone from the switch on the rear of the engine. No big deal, I plugged it back up and crimped it down....good to go.

The next time I'm out I have the same problem...I bring it back and decide I would try to solder it on. Got it soldered and it worked great in a short test run at the house. Took it to get some work done at the hunting club last weekend and it went out....later on it worked....and then went out again. So, I figure the solder is not conducive and I am not getting a good connection.

Anyone else had this problem and found something to do to help keep the wire on the switch? Or should I just purchase a new cable? (looked, but couldn't find it).

#2 ·
Bamaman: The problem you are having isn't common. Could it be that something is pulling on that wire, or putting tension on it. I would have thought that soldering it would have definately taken care of the problem unless you had a cold solder joint (Remember, when soldering, you should heat the material you are going to apply solder to, rather than heating the solder - otherwise you get a cold/loose solder joint).
Normally, that wire should stay on just fine without solder, so I'd look around and see if something else is in it's way or putting tension on it.

#3 ·
My problem is that I use this bike for hunting, so it is always in the woods off the trail and I had limbs getting in there and pulling it off. With the solder, the plug did not pull off, but it isn't conducting power at times.

I felt that maybe as the engine was heating up it was melting the solder and making it non-conducive? Does this sound like it may be my problem?

Would my best option be to just purchase a new plug and boot?

Thanks for the help....it's kind of a pain not having reverse!

#4 ·
Banaman,
The solder won't melt unless it is over 300 degrees, and your engine definately isn't getting that hot or you'd have serious problems. If the solder is coming off, it's an indication that you have a 'cold solder' connection. To correct that, you need to heat the material that you are soldering rather than the solder. Likewise, make sure that your solder has flux in it and that the items you are soldering are very clean.
Considering where you ride, you might also want to take a look at a number of the skid plates (protective plates) that are available for your Rancher. There are a number of very good ones that provide excellent protection to the underside of your machine. Just do a search for 'Rancher Skid Plate'. Look on Amazon and Ebay.

#5 ·
X2, make sure you're using solder with flux or just use flux paste on the wire and the switch. Also, maybe the reverse shift switch is going bad.

#8 ·
Glad you got it took care of!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.