Honda ATV Forum banner

Backway to Crown King (Arizona)

4K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  DiabloAmarillo 
#1 ·
My brother-in-law and I tool my 2WD Rancher 350 & Recon from Lake Pleasant to Crown King today. Overall a great ride that has something for just about everyone. It is almost 30 miles one way and has about 5000' of ascent. From smooth backcountry roads to navigating a stream bed filled with basketball size rocks. The ride has some of the best views I have seen in Arizona. I have a very clean GPX if anyone is interested. This is an easy 3/4 day trip. I would have preferred to have a 4WD Rancher for a few of the somewhat steep hills that have some rock outcroppings half way up the climb but 2WD will get you there.

One a side note, I have been trying to decide between a Rancher 420 AT or a Rincon for my next ATV purchase. All I have to say after navigating the basketball sized rocks is that if Honda doesn't put power steering on the next version of the Rincon, then Rancher AT is for me. Had shoulder surgery a couple of months ago and I am in need of an ice pack tonight:)

#7 ·
DiabloAmarillo,

An RV plate is all you need for the entire trail. They really have a great setup with the parking as well. They have a parking area just outside the Lake Pleasant regional park so you don't have to pay to park. After you turn right onto Cow Creek rd, drive 1.5 mies and you will see the staging/parking area on the right. It is huge and allows for a ton of parking.

The town of Crown King has more ATVs parking in the lot than any other kind of vehicle.

We did see a slightly modified Jeep trash its transfer case 2/3rds of the way to Crown King and need both a tow and push to get it out. There was a few minutes where I thought they were going to lose it over the side of the trail. Great trail for ATVs and highly modified 4x4 vehicles.

Troy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.